This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frenchie_ENGL

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I am seeking some help. I am a 3rd year, entering 4th year English Major. I just need 3 more classes to complete the major and then I'm more or less done with undergrad. I say more or less because I'm trying to pursue a bio minor. Thus far I've taken gen chem 1 (C), gen chem 2 (C) with a combined chem 1 & 2 lab (B+). I've taken calc 1 (A) but have delayed taking calc 2 which has resulted in dropping the class with a W on two separate occasions. I also took a calc based physics class, which I got a failed incomplete in (FIN). The semester I took physics was just a bad semester in general, I was in a car accident and didn't do well in any of my classes. It was also my freshman year and I never spoke to any of my professors about the situation.

I took a semester off from science classes and just took English classes and now this semester I'm taking bio 1, which if I'm lucky I might get a B in. As I'm nearing the end of my undergrad I'm just wondering where I stand with all of my subpar grades in science classes, and getting into med school. I have a great gpa within the English major but a not so great overall gpa. I know nothing is said and done until I take the mCAT, but is it even worth it if I have no A's in science classes? I'm kinda late in the game deciding to pursue premed in my senior year and I just want to know how I stack up and what my options may be from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll save you the trouble my friend instead of getting your hopes up. If you are struggling in the sciences, it's a sign that you will not do well down the medicine path.

My advice is to finish your degree so that you have that in hand. After you finish your degree, focus on the science coursework by retaking those pre-reqs in a real post-bacc and then study for and take the MCAT. After that, decide if you still want medicine.

If you want to become a doctor you can become a doctor. There are many ways to get there.