[-]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gomefun2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[-]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
17 hours is sleep deprivation?

I hate to break it to you, but residency (where 30-36 hour SHIFTS aren't uncommon) is going to be a real wakeup call, pun intended. 17 hours awake is a normal to good day to me, it's rare I get more than 5-6 hours of sleep a night.

17 hours is sleep deprivation?

I hate to break it to you, but residency (where 30-36 hour SHIFTS aren't uncommon) is going to be a real wakeup call, pun intended. 17 hours awake is a normal to good day to me, it's rare I get more than 5-6 hours of sleep a night.

what exactly are u basing this on?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took an AAMC today with my eyes closed. I got a 40, but I am kind of upset. I think it might have had something to do with the fact that I couldnt see any of the questions.
But its ok though, I still have some time to pull up my scores.

This thread makes no sense on so many levels.

punklindrublic- i hope your not gettin punked this bad at the hospital

What is the point of this thread? Do you want people to congratulate you on a job well done?:confused:

yah... I've got to agree with the other people here. Do you plan on being sleep deprived during the actual MCAT?

haha troll

4 total posts lol

Tell you what though hes not that far off some of the real people on here sometimes

I thought there was one that was being put into effect that restricted shifts to 24 hours?

I think I read somewhere around here is something like 24 call + a maximum of 6 hrs doing post-call write ups, etc., for a total of 30. I may be talking out of my a__ here, I'm sure someone else can comment on this.

I went through my spring semester with 15hr credits, four in organic chem2, four in physics2 while working full time, doing a research project and everything else.
I think I went about 72hrs with around 4 hours of sleep. Man, I had a tendency of falling asleep on the job. lol.

Saw this thread while clicking through the "new posts" tab. ACGME rules state 24 hours call +6 hours to clean things up, so 30 hours of total work per call.

So in theory you get to work at 6AM, and leave by noon the next day, or something along those lines. Where I work, this is rarely possible, and you usually stretch to 32-33 hours by the time you round and present the new patients, and sign out. Since you were the one on call, and know all the stuff that went on overnight, it is hard to just walk out of the hospital and leave everyone (including your patients) hanging.

Oh, and you don't get naps. I rarely get to sleep more than half an hour, and that is on a good day. It is not uncommon at all to get none. Depends on the specialty, though. Medicine and surgery work hard on call. If you're on for ophtho, not so much. I assure you it is more than possible to work for 30 hours straight. I've been doing it roughly every 4th night for the past 2 years.

I live off of 3-4 hours of sleep every night, and I'm not even pushing it yet. I can only imagine how bad it's gonna be though, when I start taking loads of science classes ... talk about sleep deprivation.

I wanted to see how I would fair on sleep deprevation. I only tested physical sciences and I did Kaplan test #1 (timed/real) and the AAMC #3 (timed/real). I scored 12 on both and I am sure some of my mistakes were due to sleep deprevation (I didnt even finish kaplan lol). but that being said I am still disappointed in the results.

I only gave myself 2 weeks to prepare for the exam, and now I regret it. well it is 7:05 am, and tomorrow is orgo/bio. (and god only knows how I'll do on verbal).

i am routinely awake for 17 hours for no reason. I don't follow the sleep deprivation part. I have been awake for 3 days straight because I juggled working the graveyard shift fulltime and had to to take finals 2 days in a row.

From wikipedia

Randy Gardner holds a Guinness world record for the longest period of time a human being has intentionally gone without sleep not using stimulants of any kind. In 1964, as a 17-year-old high school student in San Diego, California, Gardner stayed awake for 264 hours (11 days) with the help of friends, TV reporters, and shooting hoops. On his final day without sleep, Gardner presided over a press conference where he spoke without slurring or stumbling his words and in general appeared to be in excellent health. "I wanted to prove that bad things didn't happen if you went without sleep," said Gardner.

Now you can all feel like failed premeds! :laugh:

I'm sorry, what is this thread about? I think all of us go without sleep and do things. I routinely work 18 hour shifts, with 6 hours off only to go back and do another 12-18 hours, then lift and study, take a nap, and repeat the process. We all do this kind of thing all the time, whether its work, school, or something else. 17 hours is a joke. I slept 9 hours in three days and got a 12 on a practice verbal afterwards. This means nothing to anyone, and says nothing about my ability to perform on the mcat.
But good work.