35L, 4.0 GPA, Kentucky Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kystudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting my third year of undergrad this upcoming semester, so I won't be applying until next cycle. I attend a small, religious liberal arts university in Kentucky. I'm also from a rural area. Here are my stats up to this point:

MCAT: 35L
PS: 12
VR: 11
BS: 12

Biology Major, possible Chemistry minor, Christian ministries minor
4.0 GPA

ECs: Currently, I'd say I have somewhere around 50-60 hours of shadowing, but I'm hoping to increase that number in the upcoming months. My community service hours are similar, so I'm working to increase that number as well. I've been to two summer pre-medical programs at the University of Kentucky (each 4-5 weeks long) where I've done most of my shadowing. I lifeguard and tutor at my school. I've also helped to establish a pre-health professions club at my school and will be serving as the vice-president this year. I'm also a cabinet member on another science organization on campus. I'll likely be doing some mission work abroad sometime before I apply. I'll also be involved in research as a part of my major.

I'm definitely going to apply to the University of Kentucky and University of Louisville, but I'm also considering Vandy, UNC, and possibly even Baylor. Honestly, what are my chances of being accepted by these schools? Given my stats, are there any other schools that I should consider? Finally, what else can I do to help my application? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are great, but your ECs are still relatively weak. That said, I do think you have a pretty good chance getting into at least one of the schools you listed. Obviously when you do apply, you're going to want to apply to more schools. If you want to bolster your application, I'd say try to get involved in a community heath project. If you're going to try to push the rural medicine aspect (which you don't have to) it'd be nice to have something to demonstrate that you actually care about the serving the rural population.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're sitting pretty. Get in some research and beef up those ECs a bit and you'll be fine. More clinical exposure is needed. Aim for longevity in everything you do. And good luck!

Thank you both! I really am going to try and bolster my ECs this year. I just hope a year is enough time to really make a difference.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of opportunities for research at my school because it's so small. I probably won't be able to do any research until next summer, but at least it will be before any interviews.

I actually don't think your EC's are too weak, but I don't see any non-shadowing clinical experience. And yes, a year is enough time to make a significant difference. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I actually don't think your EC's are too weak, but I don't see any non-shadowing clinical experience. And yes, a year is enough time to make a significant difference. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I forgot to mention that I'm planning on volunteering at the UK medical center this fall, so hopefully I'll be able to address that issue. Thanks!

I'd suggest applying to some summer research programs, they really cater to us small, religious, liberal arts colleges. It will significantly bolster your chances at middle and upper tier scohols that seem to focus on research. Volunteering in a clinical setting, or even working, is also a great opportunity.

Remember, don't beef up your application with random experiences that you don't get anything out of, they'll read right through that when you can't elaborate on them on your primary/interviews. They'd rather see very heartfelt experiences.

Quality > Quantity

Last edited: