30 Years Old, Business Degree/Background, considering Physical Therapy.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herman345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So, as I wrote in the title, I'm 30 years old with a business degree and a pretty eclectic employment background. I've taught ESL abroad, worked in sales for construction equipment, worked in the finance industry for a few years, and I'm currently a financial analyst at a healthcare company. Long story short, I've realized that these kinds of cubicle jobs make me miserable, and I want something better. I have my reasons as to why I think PT would be a good fit, but that's not what I want to address here. The question I want to ask is whether or not lack of relevant experience could keep me from getting into a PT program.

My GPA for my undergrad was decent - 3.7, but I would have to go back for some of the pre-requisites. I'm fairly confident that I can do pretty well on the GRE, but actual experience working with patients is where I'm completely lacking, and right now I'm supporting myself and my wife on my salary, so working part time in a clinic is less than ideal. So, what do you guys think? Could I get into PT school without any actual experience, or should I consider possibly moving back in with my parents so that I can work full time in the field while getting my prerequisites out of the way?

Thanks,

-Herman345

Members don't see this ad.

Work experience is not a requirement for admission to PT schools. The only thing switching from your current job to being a PT tech will do is cost you money. Sure you'll be a bit more knowledgeable about the field if you work as a tech, but just as many pre-PTs don't as those that do. Make sure you have at least the minimum number of observation hours required by each program in a variety of settings (preferably 3+, inpatient & outpatient). Getting diverse exposure to what different areas of PT practice look like will help you know if this field is right for you. Most people are exposed primarily to outpatient orthopedics but some other specialties of PT are so different they hardly look like the same profession sometimes. Be warned that sites that will allow inpatient observation experiences are become fewer and farther between and most that will let you will have numerous hoops to jump through, so start on that process sooner rather than later.

Your GPA is just fine, and your business background will serve you well as a PT. We need more diverse backgrounds than kinesiology and ex phys desperately in this profession. Nail straight A's in your remaining pre-reqs, get >50th percentile on the GRE and get a couple of solid references from the therapists you shadow and you will be golden.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with above, no you don't need a ton of hours, you just need the minimum. My school required 60 hours and, what a surprise, I did 60 hours. Your application should demonstrate that you are working full time and you can address it specifically as well. I observed only, did not work for pay in the PT clinics.

Couple of ideas for you: Take a week off work and do full time observation for 1 week in a clinic. Or try to get into inpatient on the weekends and do Saturday observations. Many clinics are going to evening appointments too....so you could take a 1/2 day off work and observe the afternoon/evening in the clinic.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
do full time observation for 1 week in a clinic

While spending a whole week standing there watching someone else do their job is very, very painful by the end of the week, I found this strategy to be the most effective way to get hours knocked out, instead of trying to piecemeal a couple hours here and a couple there. If you can get a therapist to agree to let you hang out for a full work week, boom that setting is knocked out, check that box and onto the next one. There are only a handful of schools that require >100 hours, so if you could pull off a full week in 3 different settings, that would probably be the most time effective way to get it all done. Less travel time, etc involved, though I guess it's not likely you can take 3 weeks off of work for this. There are therapists out there who work wed-sun or maybe tues-sat, so that could be an option. If you spread it all out over the course of the next year or so, shouldn't be too bad. Getting someone to say yes and then actually figuring out a time to schedule it is the biggest challenge.

Some schools require prereqs to be completed within the last 5 years, some 10, maybe some don't even have limits. You will have to check where you want to apply. If I were you I would try to find a place that lets you get observation hours on weekends and I would take online classes (if the schools allow the prereqs to be taken online) while you are working. You will be broke enough in PT school, I'd try to keep your current job during the application process. Many schools over the years have reduced the amount of observation hours they require since they know its hard to get them. Most schools I applied to required 0-100 hours. Also, having some hours will help you get your recommendation letters and give you things to talk about in your essays and interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I would start observing now, even if it's just piecemeal to get a true sense of whether this is something you want to pursue or not. When I decided I wanted to shift gears and become a PT, I was so focused on getting the list of pre-reqs out of the way that I waited to observe until the spring before my application cycle. I wish I had started observation a lot sooner. And definitely keep your full time job. PT school is a huge financial investment. Don't get yourself into trouble financially before you even start.

Thank you for the replies! I really appreciate it, and I feel encouraged.

Some schools require prereqs to be completed within the last 5 years, some 10, maybe some don't even have limits.

For clarification, do you think that a timeframe like this would apply to every prereq that's required to complete a bachelor's degree, or just the science-based ones? So, for example, my bachelor's degree was completed in December 2010, but because it was a business degree, it didn't require many of the science prereqs that PT school does. So, my plan was to simply take the science prereqs somewhere, and then I would have both the bachelor's degree and the prereqs. Or, is it possible that I might have to re-take classes that I already took as part of my business degree (like English 101, hypothetically), if I completed those outside of the required timeframe?

And finally, does anyone know how much weight PT school typically place on where you take your prerequisites? My business degree is from a fairly decent state university, but if it's all the same, I'd like to take my science prereqs at a community college, since that would be significantly less expensive.

Thank you!

-Herman345

Last edited:
You can totally make it work! I am in my late 20's and work full time (unrelated to PT) and could not afford to work part time at a clinic. I had to finish up a couple pre-requisites and obtain more current observation hours. I applied this last cycle, and start school in August.

I would start with a little research. Find a college that offers night time courses for your pre-requisites, and search for PT facilities that stay open later. I went straight from work to shadow a PT for 2 hours a couple times a week, and took night classes on the other nights. It'll be a quite the busy schedule, but worth it if this is what you truly want to do. :)

Your background will make you stand out (there are many schools that like a versatile candidate). I was not your typical kinesiology major either. :)

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that PT school is full time. It is very unlikely to be able to work full-time while in grad school.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I would start observing now, even if it's just piecemeal to get a true sense of whether this is something you want to pursue or not. When I decided I wanted to shift gears and become a PT, I was so focused on getting the list of pre-reqs out of the way that I waited to observe until the spring before my application cycle. I wish I had started observation a lot sooner. And definitely keep your full time job. PT school is a huge financial investment. Don't get yourself into trouble financially before you even start.

That's a great idea. I actually do have a friend who is a PT already, so I'll see if it's possible to shadow her. Thank you!

For clarification, do you think that a timeframe like this would apply to every prereq that's required to complete a bachelor's degree, or just the science-based ones? So, for example, my bachelor's degree was completed in December 2010, but because it was a business degree, it didn't require many of the science prereqs that PT school does. So, my plan was to simply take the science prereqs somewhere, and then I would have both the bachelor's degree and the prereqs. Or, is it possible that I might have to re-take classes that I already took as part of my business degree (like English 101, hypothetically), if I completed those outside of the required timeframe?

And finally, does anyone know how much weight PT school typically place on where you take your prerequisites? My business degree is from a fairly decent state university, but if it's all the same, I'd like to take my science prereqs at a community college, since that would be significantly less expensive.

Thank you!

-Herman345

Thank you!

-Herman345

I doubt any school would require you to take any of the classes that are NOT prerequisites over again. Probably just prereqs, if even that. Here is an example of a school I applied to this cycle: Program Listing scroll down and you can see how old the courses can be, so for Anatomy it has to be within 5 years but the other prereqs within 10. Schools vary. Also, schools vary on if you can take courses online or not so ask the schools you are interested in applying to.

Unlike for med school I don't think schools care if you take prereqs at community college. I havn't had an issue with that, I took a lot of prereqs at CC. In your case you will prefer CC classes since they are cheaper, but if you are really worried just ask the schools you want to apply to.

you'll be fine, I'm 33 and I am starting PT school in a month. I finished my bachelors degree back in 2006, took a handful of pre-req's at a CC part-time while working un-related to PT and this past cycle I got into 7 out of the 10 schools I applied to.

Reactions: 3 users

Only the pre-requisite courses required by the school will have an expiration date, if the school does put a time line on them. When you got your bachelor's doesn't matter.

PT schools could literally not care 1 crap less where you take your pre-reqs, GPA is all that matters. PT school admission is not a game of showmanship, it is a game of numbers. Go wherever is cheapest.

Do always plan carefully with online courses, some PT schools accept them for pre-reqs, others don't. Typically course without a lab component (eg psychology) will be accepted if they're online, but often lab-based courses will not. Check with your likely PT schools of interest before proceeding.

Awesome, thank you everybody! This has been extremely helpful. It looks like the two PT school I have to choose from in my area are Midwestern University and NAU (Northern Arizona University). NAU has a much better ranking, but it also requires prereqs to be completed within 10 years, so it looks like I'm probably going Midwestern. I have a friend who is a PT, and I'll be meeting with her soon to get more information, and who knows, maybe I can even shadow her. Feeling optimistic. Time to get started!

Like Dinked I am 34 and graduated college in 2005. Similar to you I grad with a Marketing Major and been in pharma sales for the last 12 years. I was pissed off at work one day and went to the local community college and signed up for a psy class in March of 2014. 2 years later... After completing 38 prereq credits, 150 observation hours and 151 math and 148 verbal on GRE I got in to three of the four schools I applied too. (I think I didnt get into GW because I applied a few weeks before the window closed) All of this while working full time. The only prereq I had was Stats and my undergrad GPA was a 3.0 my last 38 credits were a 3.7. Patience is key! My stats def were not the best but I think admission committees are realistic about applicants especially career changes. The big thing to think about is going to a state school or a cheaper school because 80-100K of loans is different at 23 then it is at 33. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions hopefully I can help.

I was a business major with a career for over a decade. I knocked out the pre reqs in 1 year while still working. I got in every school I applied.

Because you are a non trad, you do not need anymore than the minimum req observation hours, just make sure they are in multiple settings. If your interested you can do it. Getting through the pre reqs while working left little time for anything else.

Like Dinked I am 34 and graduated college in 2005. Similar to you I grad with a Marketing Major and been in pharma sales for the last 12 years. I was pissed off at work one day and went to the local community college and signed up for a psy class in March of 2014. 2 years later... After completing 38 prereq credits, 150 observation hours and 151 math and 148 verbal on GRE I got in to three of the four schools I applied too. (I think I didnt get into GW because I applied a few weeks before the window closed) All of this while working full time. The only prereq I had was Stats and my undergrad GPA was a 3.0 my last 38 credits were a 3.7. Patience is key! My stats def were not the best but I think admission committees are realistic about applicants especially career changes. The big thing to think about is going to a state school or a cheaper school because 80-100K of loans is different at 23 then it is at 33. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions hopefully I can help.

I'm really glad to hear about this (as well as GrizzlyMan's experience). It's extremely encouraging to know that others in almost identical situations to mine have done it. Yeah, I'll definitely take you up on that offer to PM you with questions if I come up with any.

Thanks again!

-Herman345