3 years college then Dental School? (Highschool Senior)

bcsuccess

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, so I made a thread about this months ago, but since college is almost here I wanted an updated opinion. So long story short I am a highschool student, last semester left :D .... I am very interested in dentistry, I love the fact you can own your own businesses and also help others. My mom is a dentist so I know a lot about it.

I was a dual enrollment student at my local university and completed 34 credits. (I am considered a sophomore in college techinally) so i will enter college as a sophomore. Do you think it is feasible to graduate in 3 years nd go to dental school right after? I have taken a lot of recommended courses (Anatomy, Physiology, Psychology, Sociology, and got All A's. When I enter college I will basically have all of the general education done, and I will mostly be doing prereqs and major courses.

I am not trying to rush, but I am not trying to waste time either. Any help will do. And also, what would be a good time to take DAT? thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the biggest thing is being able to take your DAT before your 3rd year in undergrad, cause that's what you'll need to do to avoid having to take a gap year and jump straight into dental school. If you plan things out carefully, I don't see any reason why you can't graduate in 3 years and go to DS right after. Just make sure you plan for curveballs too (a class filling up for example), and that you're still able to participate in a wide variety of ECs. You'd be taking your DAT (ideally) the summer before your last year cause you'd be applying that summer.

Good luck!

I think the biggest thing is being able to take your DAT before your 3rd year in undergrad, cause that's what you'll need to do to avoid having to take a gap year and jump straight into dental school.

Just wanted to emphasize. The real trick of this is having the necessary courses and competence for that exam prior to that time. This means you are going to have to pack your first 2 years of college very full of courses to prepare you for that exam. It should be do-able but you will not have much downtime or time for classes outside the sciences. You can do it though if you want. Just realize that you could also do a gap year or stretch it into 4 less intense years too.

Just wanted to emphasize. The real trick of this is having the necessary courses and competence for that exam prior to that time. This means you are going to have to pack your first 2 years of college very full of courses to prepare you for that exam. It should be do-able but you will not have much downtime or time for classes outside the sciences. You can do it though if you want. Just realize that you could also do a gap year or stretch it into 4 less intense years too.
I was planning on taking Biology and Chemistry my first year, and Organic And Physics my second year. Then my final (3rd) year take biochem... even tho that’s not a section on the DAT some schools require it. And right now I have some free time so I am studying the Math, Perceptual ability, and the reading so I will have those out the way. I know some people will think why is this kid doing this so early but I’m just driven lol. And I already did well on my ACT for college.