3 year vs. 4 year caribbean programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krust3

medical vagabond
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience or opinions regarding a 3 year vs. 4 year medical program? :idea:

I'm 4 years out from undergrad and not getting any younger, so 3 years sounds sooo much shorter than the traditional 4.

I'm interested in Ross. Their program is 150 weeks, which appears to be consecutive unless I'm misreading it. Do any other schools have an accelerated option?

They just remove summer vacation time to accomplish this right? So is there any benefit to going a 4 year route with extended breaks etc. :confused:

Any thoughts on this are appreciated! :oops: ;) :rolleyes: :) :p :D

Members don't see this ad.

You might be forgetting the two-week breaks in between semesters 1-5 and the time you need to take off to study for and take Step I (month or two). And the time you need to wait for your scores to return (about a month) so you can start your core rotations (a week or two after they Ross generates a schedule for you). Then somewhere along the way, you'll probably take a little break from your rotations to go on residency interviews. As I've projected my schedule, yes I'll have about a couple/few months free before graduation. In any case, Ross's program will still push you well into a 4th academic year (i.e. I started Sep 2002 which means I'll be graduating in the spring of 2007).

That seems longer than what i interpreted, but i see your point :( . The 40 months are not consecutive. Did anyone even mention to you a 3 year vs. 4 year curriculum option?

That must mean that even the AUC program (that lists a 38 month program length) still comes out to about 4 years too :scared: .

So these programs are really no shorter than the U.S. medical programs :smuggrin: ?

So is there such a thing as an accelerated M.D. program in the caribbean :confused: ? (ross or anywhere else)

To be honest, the "accelerated"/ "3 year" program was a big reason I was interested in caribbean schools over U.S. schools :oops: .

thanks for the input. if anyone else has something to add, it's appreciated.

i'm an old man going back for my M.D. (25 presently), so the fastest route is the best as far as i'm concerned.

Members don't see this ad :)
ross is as close as you'll get to an accelerated program. I believe
we dont hve a summer vacation between years 1 and 2.
if everything works out perfectly, then you'll be done in about 3.5 years at best.
But that doesn't mean it always matches up with residency starts. And there are a lot of variables with clinicals too.

Dont think you'll find a 3 year program. Dont think one could exist really.

It's not in the carrib, but McMaster in Canada is a 3 year MD program.

OzDDS said:
It's not in the carrib, but McMaster in Canada is a 3 year MD program.[/QUO

Also Calgaray medical school in Canada is three years program ,,, the difference is the break time you take between semesters is almost nothing thats why it's shorter
:)

If you can get into McMaster in Canada. One of the top Medical Schools in Canada, then you don't need to be thinking of Ross.

The average Ross Student graduates in 5 years.

EH.

there goes that thought then :( .
canadian school admittance is no sure thing either (i've had canadian undergrad buddies that had a tough time getting in)

if the caribbean route is gonna be the same length, i might as well bust my butt on the MCAT and go for a U.S. school.

i don't know why that one extra year makes such a difference to me.

oh yeah i do, it's because i'll be 32 by the time i enter a residency :eek: .

thanks all, i really appreciate your opinions.