3 Questions regarding heme/onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueridgenc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am a DO and starting IM residency at an ACGME program. This particular program has Oncology (2 yr ) fellowship. It would be awesome if I decide to do just oncology and if they take me of course. That way, I don't have to move my family again.

So here are my 3 Qs.

1. How bad is it gonna be in terms of job prospects if I do just Oncology as opposed to heme/onc?

2. Does Oncology training include hematological malignancies?

3. Dumb question but how do I go about doing any oncology related research - what topic or who do I talk to etc?

Thanks!! I am super anxious that I am not prepared to be an intern at all. And I realize I am asking these question a bit prematurely. But I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. How bad is it gonna be in terms of job prospects if I do just Oncology as opposed to heme/onc?
Not bad at all. A large proportion of practicing physicians are single-boarded.

2. Does Oncology training include hematological malignancies?

Yes.

3. Dumb question but how do I go about doing any oncology related research - what topic or who do I talk to etc?
Schedule an appointment to talk to the department chair for the oncology division where are you doing internship. She/he can direct you to most fruitful mentor to get involved with. Keep your aims limited and tangible, like a case series or review article.

Hey,
I'm a PGY2 about to apply for Onc. re: a 2 year onc fellowship as opposed to doing heme along with it. My interest is solid tumor onc, specifically GI malignancies. I'm not sure if I'm going to stay in academics or go to private practice. Would it really impair one's ability to get a job in PP if you were only boarded in Onc?
In any case, I doubt I'll end up at an onc only fellowship since there are so few of them out there.

Not bad at all. A large proportion of practicing physicians are single-boarded.

Yes.

Schedule an appointment to talk to the department chair for the oncology division where are you doing internship. She/he can direct you to most fruitful mentor to get involved with. Keep your aims limited and tangible, like a case series or review article.