(3.97 cGPA/3.94 sGPA/502 MCAT) Texas resident school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asaeed90cc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.97 cGPA/3.94 sGPA/502 MCAT

502: 127/122/129/124 (cars...)
500 volunteer hours
120 hours shadowing
1 year research
President of an Organization

I applied to TCOM but just need some insight and help picking schools outside of Texas.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are pretty competitive

I would actually go ahead and apply to most schools. Of course, if you're asking for a list, that all depends on you. You should read up on what schools you actually would want to go to and base the list off of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are pretty competitive

I would actually go ahead and apply to most schools. Of course, if you're asking for a list, that all depends on you. You should read up on what schools you actually would want to go to and base the list off of that.

I agree. I feel you’re at least somewhat competitive and that you’ll have a good shot at many osteopathic schools.

Do not retake. Your stats are competitive at most schools. Don't apply to AZCOM, CCOM, Touro-Ca (high MCAT medians); Also avoid LUCOM and Touro-Ny (other reasons). Do a quick search on here for regional bias schools if you're trying to save some money as well.

Apply to UTRGV, UTMB, TT El Paso, T A&M as well as TCOM. I've heard from one person that got a 28 MCAT and landed 3 MD acceptances in Texas. You might as well try for most of them if you have great EC. Add DOs with cheap tuition.

I believe TCOM avg stats are the same as TTEP and probably higher than UTRGV and TCOM has same MCAT avg as UTMB. ~ 505.

Last edited:
Apply to UTRGV, UTMB, TT El Paso as well as TCOM. I've heard from one person that got a 28 MCAT and landed 3 MD acceptances in Texas. You might as well try for most of them if you have great EC. Add DOs with cheap tuition.

I believe TCOM avg stats are the same as TTEP and probably higher than UTRGV and TCOM has same MCAT avg as UTMB. ~ 505.
Okay sure thing, that actually gives me a small chance.

UTMBs MCAT average is 508 as of last year.
Apply to UTRGV, UTMB, TT El Paso as well as TCOM. I've heard from one person that got a 28 MCAT and landed 3 MD acceptances in Texas. You might as well try for most of them if you have great EC. Add DOs with cheap tuition.

UTMBs MCAT average is 508 as of last year.
Texas MCAT avg is just 507.2 with all the 9+ MD schools and TCOM. They still take plenty of people below 505.

There are 9+ MD schools in TX?!
TT Lubbock, TT El Paso, Dell, UTMB, McGovern, UTSA, UTSW, Texas A&M, UTRGV. What I can think of. Not including Baylor, TCOM, UIWsom, and the two new schools TCU/UNTHSC thing and Sam Houston.
Maybe it's just 9 MD + Baylor.

Your stats are fine for the majority of D.O. schools, so take your pick. I'm not completely sure about this, but I heard that the TMDSAS costs the same regardless of how many schools you apply to?? If this is true, you might as well apply to all of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Texas MCAT avg is just 507.2 with all the 9+ MD schools and TCOM. They still take plenty of people below 505.

Yes, this is correct! But this includes UTRGV's 504, TCOM's whatever TCOM's is, and TTU El Paso's 507.

The other averages (medians) are:
UT Houston: 511
UT Southwestern: 514
UT Dell: 512(?)
UTSA: 509
UTMB: 508
TTU: 508

I have no clue what A&M's is; I have no interest in them. I think it's 508?

Your stats are fine for the majority of D.O. schools, so take your pick. I'm not completely sure about this, but I heard that the TMDSAS costs the same regardless of how many schools you apply to?? If this is true, you might as well apply to all of them.

Yup! Additionally, three of them don't have secondaries and a further two do not charge for secondaries.

EDIT: My numbers are of ACCEPTED, not MATRICULATED.

Yes, this is correct! But this includes UTRGV's 504, TCOM's whatever TCOM's is, and TTU El Paso's 507.

I have no clue what A&M's is; I have no interest in them. I think it's 508?

Yup! Additionally, three of them don't have secondaries and a further two do not charge for secondaries.

Yeah I just submitted my app and ended up applying to all schools within Texas. Might as well give it a shot since I have nothing to lose.

Reactions: 2 users

I have no clue what A&M's is; I have no interest in them. I think it's 508

Yes, I was going to say accepted vs matriculated. 507.2 is the AVG matriculated MCAT for all TMDSAS schools.
UTMB matriculated is still approximately near TCOMs, TTEP is about same and UTRGV is lowest. This is info for the applicant that only applied TCOM, of that list.

Yes, I was going to say accepted vs matriculated. 507.2 is the AVG matriculated MCAT for all TMDSAS schools.
UTMB matriculated is still approximately near TCOMs, TTEP is about same and UTRGV is lowest. This is info for the applicant that only applied TCOM, of that list.
I just ended up applying to all schools within TMDSAS. That's very relieving to hear that.

I just ended up applying to all schools within TMDSAS. That's very relieving to hear that.
Good luck. Apply broadly unless you are willing to wait another year and reapply with a better MCAT, which I would do if I was young and gunning for low tuition Texas public MD schools.

Good luck. Apply broadly unless you are willing to wait another year and reapply with a better MCAT, which I would do if I was young and gunning for low tuition Texas public MD schools.
Any ideas of OOS MD's that I might have a chance at?