3.95 GPA 24 MCAT...Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millionairemind92

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergraduate GPA : 3.95
Science GPA : 3.91
Humanities and Arts GPA : 4.00
MCAT : 24 (8/7/9)
500 work hours
200 clinical hours
1000 research hours
have shadowed 3 MD's
have shadowed 1 DO
Great LORS

Schools I am applying to :

Lecom - Erie
Lecom - Brandenton
Burrell (I live in the borderland)
Rocky Vista
ATSU SOMA
PCOM GA

I know there are other schools like VCOM and William Carey that accept lower statistics, but I can't possibly imagine being in literally the middle of nowhere for the next four years and 3 hours from the closest airport.

How do you guys think I will fair with my school list?

Members don't see this ad.

Undergraduate GPA : 3.95
Science GPA : 3.91
Humanities and Arts GPA : 4.00
MCAT : 24 (8/7/9)
500 work hours
200 clinical hours
1000 research hours
have shadowed 3 MD's
have shadowed 1 DO
Great LORS

Schools I am applying to :

Lecom - Erie
Lecom - Brandenton
Burrell (I live in the borderland)
Rocky Vista
ATSU SOMA
PCOM GA

I know there are other schools like VCOM and William Carey that accept lower statistics, but I can't possibly imagine being in literally the middle of nowhere for the next four years and 3 hours from the closest airport.

I think you should apply more broadly. You should get in somewhere but your list is very limited. Location isn't your biggest concern its only 4 years. Vcom isn't in the middle of nowhere. It's by Virginia tech. College town.

If you study for the MCAT this summer and nail it, you would have many more choices. Have you considered that?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd expect someone with a 3.95 to do better on the MCAT. Did you study enough?

Reactions: 1 users
I would expect a much better MCAT score with that GPA, especially after retaking it 4 times.

This could be a problem for adcoms. Maybe @Goro could provide some input.

I've studied more than enough, this was my fourth attempt.

The mcat is weird. It's not only tests your knowledge of the subjects but it does so in an obscure way. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what they are asking. It's believable that you get a low score even with having a high GPA.

The mcat is weird. It's not only tests your knowledge of the subjects but it does so in an obscure way. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what they are asking. It's believable that you get a low score even with having a high GPA.
Very true. I am honestly sick of everyone's kiss ass responses of well "you will likely fail boards if you can't do well on your MCAT." While I agree that research has show some correlation between MCAT and Board scores, you also have to realize that the first time pass rates for boards is approaching 100% for almost all US medical schools.

Very true. I am honestly sick of everyone's kiss ass responses of well "you will likely fail boards if you can't do well on your MCAT." While I agree that research has show some correlation between MCAT and Board scores, you also have to realize that the first time pass rates for boards is approaching 100% for almost all US medical schools.

It's my belief that a 24 and higher you usually pass the boards. I believe cliquesh has stated that before.

Under 24 I get worried.

But very few, if none, applicants with a 24 get into MD schools. With DO schools, a 24 is pretty much borderline rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already gotten a.tutoring package via tpr. I've exhausted my resources.

Does your school have tutoring resources?
This is a serious problem because if you do not know how to do well on the MCAT, how are you supposed to excel on the USMLE?

Does your school have tutoring resources?
This is a serious problem because if you do not know how to do well on the MCAT, how are you supposed to excel on the USMLE?
Have you taken the MCAT? Do you realize how difficult it is? The exam is designed for pre-meds to be as difficult as possible as there are SO many pre-meds they have to weed out. Also in regards to USMLE, from my understanding the questions are very straight forward and first time pass rate is approaching 100%.

Did you improve on each of the four MCAT attempts or were any higher/scattered?

If you apply more broadly to at least 15 DO schools you should receive some interviews. Consider adding schools with lower median MCAT scores:
ACOM
WCU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
MU-COM
KCUMB-COM
ATSU-KCOM

Have you taken the MCAT? Do you realize how difficult it is? The exam is designed for pre-meds to be as difficult as possible as there are SO many pre-meds they have to weed out. Also in regards to USMLE, from my understanding the questions are very straight forward and first time pass rate is approaching 100%.

I'm not saying it's not hard, all I am saying is that your grades + MCAT are important to adcoms, because you need to prove you can handle a rigorous medical school curriculum. And no, the USMLE is not easy.

If you apply more broadly to at least 15 DO schools you should receive some interviews. Consider adding schools with lower median MCAT scores:
ACOM
WCU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
MU-COM
KCUMB-COM
ATSU-KCOM

KCUMB com is one of the oldest and hardest DO schools to get into. With a 24 MCAT it would be pretty tough to get into.

What were your other 3 scores? You know the ADCOMS will see all of your scores and some will average them.

It depends. Some take the most recent or highest. Some average. My school takes your highest mcat. Goros averages.

The MCAT is designed to test the way you think. Most people know the sciences by the time they take the MCAT. The MCAT wants to see if you can apply that knowledge to a strange scenrio and see through it. That being said I dont think the test is actually that hard if you can just break it down to what they are truly asking. That is a difficult skill though. while the pass rates are high for the USLME I wouldn't equaite that to it being an easy straight forward exam. You should talk to third years about what it is like. Everyone that I have spoken to says the USLME makes the MCAT look like child's play. I don't think this is something you should be worrying about yet though.

Reactions: 1 user
And according to gyngyn AMCAS encourages MD schools to average and some do and some don't. Bottom line OP has 4 MCAT scores that will be forever visible in his apps. And I'm thinking the 24 might be the highest. But who knows.

Other schools to consider:

ACOM
KYCOM
TUNCOM
LMU
all three VCOMs
MUCOM
PCOM (maybe)
Nova
Wm Carey

You are at grave risk for failing Boards. Do you have test taking anxiety? ESL?

How do you guys think I will fair with my school list?[/QUOTE]

Have you taken the new MCAT? They say its designed to identify good applicants who mighty have been missed by the old test.

Have you taken the new MCAT? They say its designed to identify good applicants who mighty have been missed by the old test.
No, and they say a lot of things. I've researched it extensively and taken a practice exam. It is much harder, and by no small measure than the previous one.

Other schools to consider:

ACOM
KYCOM
TUNCOM
LMU
all three VCOMs
MUCOM
PCOM (maybe)
Nova
Wm Carey

You are at grave risk for failing Boards. Do you have test taking anxiety? ESL?

[/QUOTE]
Severe testing anxiety and several psychiatric issues.

I'm not saying it's not hard, all I am saying is that your grades + MCAT are important to adcoms, because you need to prove you can handle a rigorous medical school curriculum. And no, the USMLE is not easy.
I never said it was easy. Also, if you talk to any 3rd year medical student as a previous poster mentioned, I'm sure they would tell you how no one they know of has failed their boards. It's literally unheard of.

No, and they say a lot of things. I've researched it extensively and taken a practice exam. It is much harder, and by no small measure than the previous one.

Well that's not very optimistic... are you speaking emotionally or have you analyzed the results? What areas did you have trouble with? Are they easily massaged or are you deficient in a subject area? The MCAT is supposed to be hard.

Severe testing anxiety and several psychiatric issues.[/QUOTE]

Err....have you thought about how this might play out in medical school? I don't mean to be rude here, but med school itself is an extremely high stress environment...

Reactions: 3 users
If you can't get the former fixed, med school will kill you. We're addicted to high stakes standardized exams. In addition, there's a correlation between low MCAT scores and failing boards. Your schools should have a learning or education center and a counseling center as well. Seek them out for help with the test taking issues.

For the latter, unless your therapist or psychiatrist is on board with your choice of Medicine as a career, I strongly suggest that you consider other careers. Med school is a furnace, and I've seen it break healthy students.

As for not wanting to go to a school in a rural area, beggars can't be choosy.

While the DO schools don't currently publish their 1st time Board scores or pass rates, I've seen enough data over the years to show that around 5-10% of students will fail COMLEX I on the first try. Luckily almost all of them of them pass on the second try. Do NOT think that Step I is a cakewalk.

I never said it was easy. Also, if you talk to any 3rd year medical student as a previous poster mentioned, I'm sure they would tell you how no one they know of has failed their boards. It's literally unheard of.

Last edited:

This is going to sound harsh so please take it as encouraging you to solve your problem with testing and not as kicking you when you are down.......

The reason the usmle has a 90-something percent pass rate is not because the questions are straightforward, the reason the pass rate is so high is because the of the weed out factor. The mcat weeds out those that aren't good at standardized exams (at this point....that could very well mean you) and then they have to survive 4 years of crushing academic schedule that weeds out the weakest of those that got past matriculation. After all that, the weakest 3-5% still fail.

Solve your testing problems or your will struggle, during your application and after

The MCAT may be difficult, but there's plenty of people that are able to improve their scores after retaking or people that are able to score high enough to not have to retake it at all, so this sounds like you're just making excuses for not being able to improve your score even after 4 retakes.

Furthermore, the reason the pass rate for the USMLE is so high is because people with 24 MCATs don't typically make it into med school, so there's really no connection between your 24 MCAT and your belief that you'll pass the USMLE the first time you take it.

After 4 retakes and not breaking a 24, it might be time to start looking into other careers.

I have you looked into getting accommodations on the MCAT? A private room, additional breaks, extended time, and/or taking the test over multiple days may help you on test day. If you have a good paper trail of your psychiatric issues you might get them. They are stingy with granting the extended time though. Yes, you can get these same accommodations in medical school, the USMLE, and boards. Accepting help does and will not make you any less of person or a doctor. If you need help applying feel free to PM me.

Good Luck!

The MCAT may be difficult, but there's plenty of people that are able to improve their scores after retaking or people that are able to score high enough to not have to retake it at all, so this sounds like you're just making excuses for not being able to improve your score even after 4 retakes.

Furthermore, the reason the pass rate for the USMLE is so high is because people with 24 MCATs don't typically make it into med school, so there's really no connection between your 24 MCAT and your belief that you'll pass the USMLE the first time you take it.

After 4 retakes and not breaking a 24, it might be time to start looking into other careers.

Agreed. At this point, DO will be your only shot, if you really want to be a physician.

What qualifications do you have to be advising me on pursuing another career? This entire thread has turned toxic. I have seen plenty of people get into DO schools with 24's. Your negative comments are unnecessary and there is no reason to be rude.

This is going to sound harsh so please take it as encouraging you to solve your problem with testing and not as kicking you when you are down.......

The reason the usmle has a 90-something percent pass rate is not because the questions are straightforward, the reason the pass rate is so high is because the of the weed out factor. The mcat weeds out those that aren't good at standardized exams (at this point....that could very well mean you) and then they have to survive 4 years of crushing academic schedule that weeds out the weakest of those that got past matriculation. After all that, the weakest 3-5% still fail.

Solve your testing problems or your will struggle, during your application and after
Good points. Thank you.

I have you looked into getting accommodations on the MCAT? A private room, additional breaks, extended time, and/or taking the test over multiple days may help you on test day. If you have a good paper trail of your psychiatric issues you might get them. They are stingy with granting the extended time though. Yes, you can get these same accommodations in medical school, the USMLE, and boards. Accepting help does and will not make you any less of person or a doctor. If you need help applying feel free to PM me.

Good Luck!
Yes, I have. I'm not sure if you know but if you have taken previous exam under no accommodations, it is almost impossible to receive future accomodations, even with documentation from my psychiatrist and counselor.

I have seen plenty of people get into DO schools with 24's.
The problem is people with 24's usually don't limit their school selections so much because they want to avoid living, "in the middle of nowhere." In order to maximize your chances at interviews and possibly an acceptance you have to apply broadly and to schools that won't automatically reject your stats. If you truly want to be a DO you need to be willing to do whatever it takes to accompish that goal and that can include living in less than desirable areas for a few years.

Last edited:
The problem is people with 24's usually don't limit their school selections so much because they want to avoid living, "in the middle of nowhere." In order to maximize your chances at interviews and possibly an acceptance you have to apply broadly and to schools that won't automatically reject your stats. If you truly want to be a DO you need to be willing to do whatever it takes to accompish that goal and that can include living in less than desireable areas for a few years.
Good advice, thank you.

Oh my gosh this thread is intense. Apply broadly OP, your GPA is really good. I would apply to AT Still Kirksville as well. I heard about someone getting in with a 22 bc he had taken the MCAT several times and that showed commitment. I also know for a fact two people got into my state MD this past cycle with 24s so I don't see what the big deal is.

Oh my gosh this thread is intense. Apply broadly OP, your GPA is really good. I would apply to AT Still Kirksville as well. I heard about someone getting in with a 22 bc he had taken the MCAT several times and that showed commitment. I also know for a fact two people got into my state MD this past cycle with 24s so I don't see what the big deal is.
Thank you, this is the kind of advice i'm seeking.

Anecdotal evidence. OP, please listen to the thoughtful and salient advice you have gotten, especially from Goro.

Reactions: 6 users
If you can't get the former fixed, med school will kill you. We're addicted to high stakes standardized exams. In addition, there's a correlation between low MCAT scores and failing boards. Your schools should have a learning or education center and a counseling center as well. Seek them out for help with the test taking issues.

For the latter, unless your therapist or psychiatrist is on board with your choice of Medicine as a career, I strongly suggest that you consider other careers. Med school is a furnace, and I've seen it break healthy students.

As for not wanting to go to a school in a rural area, beggars can't be choosy.

While the DO schools don't currently publish their 1st time Board scores or pass rates, I've seen enough data over the years to show that around 5-10% of students will fail COMLEX I on the first try. Luckily almost all of them of them pass on the second try. Do NOT think that Step I is a cakewalk.

I never said it was easy. Also, if you talk to any 3rd year medical student as a previous poster mentioned, I'm sure they would tell you how no one they know of has failed their boards. It's literally unheard of.[/QUOTE]
1. From the medical students I have chatted with, medical school is night and day compared to MCAT preparation, so how you can possibly correlate a 24 on the MCAT to being killed in medical school is beyond me. As I have said in my first post, I do agree there is some correlation between low MCAT scores and boards, the correlation is not very strong.
2. Both my therapist and psychiatrist have supported my decision from the beginning of applying to medical school. Also, a quarter of the US population is on anti-depressants, so do all of those people get broken in the furnace in medical school as well? I am not saying what you are saying is incorrect, but from my GPA in undergraduate school and working 20+ hours weekly while in school, I think I have proven I can handle an incredible amount of responsibility.
3. I agree with the beggars can not be choosy as far as where to go to medical school.
4. Thank you for proving my point that first time pass rate on boards is approaching 100% and the second time pass rate is at 100%.

1. From the medical students I have chatted with, medical school is night and day compared to MCAT preparation, so how you can possibly correlate a 24 on the MCAT to being killed in medical school is beyond me. As I have said in my first post, I do agree there is some correlation between low MCAT scores and boards, the correlation is not very strong.
2. Both my therapist and psychiatrist have supported my decision from the beginning of applying to medical school. Also, a quarter of the US population is on anti-depressants, so do all of those people get broken in the furnace in medical school as well? I am not saying what you are saying is incorrect, but from my GPA in undergraduate school and working 20+ hours weekly while in school, I think I have proven I can handle an incredible amount of responsibility.
3. I agree with the beggars can not be choosy as far as where to go to medical school.
4. Thank you for proving my point that first time pass rate on boards is approaching 100% and the second time pass rate is at 100%.

This entire thread has turned really negative. I see people posting stats much lower than myn and everyone saying, "somewhere will take you" or "you'll be fine."

This entire thread has turned really negative. I see people posting stats much lower than myn and everyone saying, "somewhere will take you" or "you'll be fine."

OK OP. You clearly came here to find opinions that confirm your own pre-conceived notions. You have gotten a lot of helpful and realistic advice, which you perceived as negative. If the situation is as rosy as you say, go ahead and apply. No need to ask for advice from AdCom members here.

Reactions: 3 users
3.95 GPA
Four MCATs, with exhaustive studying, 24 best?

how

there are some places that will take you, but they tend to turn out nothing but podiatrists

You guys are basically just picking on him/her at this point lol. I think OP understands that 24 is not a competitive score and he/she has probably already been told to retake the MCAT a gazillion times. There's a difference between giving advice and beating a dead horse, guys. Chill. People do get into med school with 24s.

EDIT: Data's a bit old but pg 18 @: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf

90% 1st time pass rate for OP grade/MCAT combo. Not all hope is lost.

Last edited: