3.89 cGPA, 3.93 sGPA, any help welcome.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fakename12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior and I'm getting a little nervous about med school apps. I'm having trouble choosing schools to apply to. My friend told me I should post here for some feedback. Please feel free to destroy my application thoroughly and be as constructive as possible.

cGPA: 3.89 (upper-mid tier university)
sGPA: 3.93
MCAT Score: 520
Major: Biochemistry
State of Residence: California
Ethnicity: South Asian

Clinical Experience: 200 hours of clinical volunteering at a local hospital (included rotations on a lot of different services)
Non-clinical Experience: 150 hours of tutoring disadvantaged kids

Abroad programs: 1 medical trip to Panama for one week.
Leadership: One position in a health related club at out school. Related volunteering for this club.

Research: 1 publication. 3 posters. Won an internal research competition in the university. 1500 dollar grant for my research. 2800 research hours in a single lab for 4 years.

Shadowing: 50 hours with a pediatrician, 20 hours with a orthopedic surgeon.

University honors program, GPA related honors, scholarships for research and academic disadvantage that is no longer a problem.

P.S. I'm willing to be a super-senior if I need to in order to improve my application. If there's anything glaring, please point it out in the comments. I'm also having a hard time procuring recommendation letters. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's your strategy:

1. Apply to all schools in California except CNU and UCR (so UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, UCD, UCI, USC-Keck, Stanford)

2. Apply to most of the top 20 except for Baylor and University of Washington (total of ~15 schools including CA schools like UCLA and Stanford)

3. Apply to 3-5 mid tier schools (USC-Keck, Rochester, Einstein, Hofstra, Emory, etc)

4. Apply to your undergrad's med school

List size should be ~27

You should be good to go

Reactions: 1 user
Okay thank you! Is there any reason I shouldn't apply to Baylor or Washington?

Members don't see this ad :)