3.85 gpa, 29R MCAT, NJ resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to look at my info:

GPA-3.85
BCPM-3.89
MCAT (5/10/08)- 11 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS, R (29R)
New Jersey Resident
Caucasian
Extracurriculars: international volunteering and local volunteering (ie-hospice), spent one summer researching in neuro. pharmacology (no publication unfortunately), shadowing internship at hospital, other shadowing experiences, four year varsity basketball, taking 2 years off (working in a doctor's office), tutoring

schools applying to: UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson, UMDNJ-NJ Med, Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, Virginia Commonwealth, Univ. of Virginia (reach), George Washington

soo.....what are my chances yall?:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

With the exception of UVA, I think you are very well qualified. Try doing a little more research during the summer; I don't think 1 Summer is enough. Although it may not be that important to the schools you're applying to, with the exception of UVA.

I wouldn't bother with UVa, though keeping it is not a big deal. You could add: RFUMS, NYMC, Tulane and MCW as well.

Don't worry about the minimal research work. It's not a big deal, except for MD/PhD programs and certain schools (none of which are on your list).

Go ahead and apply this year but consider retaking the MCAT. Your GPA is excellent but the 8 in VR hurts a bit. An extra point in VR and, perhaps, in one of the Science sections could go a long way.

Your chances of getting in somewhere (namely the two NJ schools) are reasonable. That said, the process is competitive and it would not be a big surprise if you did not get in anywhere. An improved MCAT score would be useful if this were to occur. Good luck!

I think you've got great chances too. :thumbup: I'd bet money you'll get into one of your state schools at the very least.

If you're looking for other schools to add, I would check out Loyola if you're open to a Chicago area school. Sounds like you'd be a good match for them. And then there are some great NY schools you could add to stay in that region. But honestly, if you know you'd rather got to a NJ school (and they will be the cheapest options), I think you're fine with what you've got. :luck: