~3.8 GPA, 27 MCAT (11,7,9), Retaking in June, Do I apply before the results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HNH992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in December, so I'll be applying this upcoming cycle. My current MCAT is not good, and I'm retaking, but do I apply before I get the results?

I heard applying early is recommended, and would give me a better chance of getting accepted. I heard you can apply before getting the MCAT results back, and it'd be automatically added to the application when released. I'm retaking the test in late June, so I won't be getting the results back until late July. Do I apply early before getting the results back or do I wait? And what are my chances?

- sGPA: 3.83, cGPA: 3.80.
All science classes (except calc 2) were taken at a 4-year university.
I'm majoring in Biological Science BS, but I was majoring in Pharmaceutical Science BS back in my home country, but however, nothing was transferred from there.

- MCAT: 27 (11,7,9)
I know it's not good, and I scored below my practice average (11,8,11).
PS was on par with the practice. I scored 2 points lower on BS, don't know what happened. VR was kind of expected.
I'm taking the new MCAT in June, and I believe I can improve the Biology part, but I'm not sure about my verbal. The reason that I'm terrible at verbal is because English isn't my native language, and I've been using it primarily for only 2 years, and that's when I moved to this country. I tried and still trying to improve my verbal score, but with no luck so far.

- ECs
1. Volunteered at a hospital for 70 hours with intensive patient-contact, and still doing it until I reach at least 100 hours.
2. This is my first semester doing research, and it's in a medical school, with a strong chance of publication. I'll keep working on this project for 1 more semester, and then I'll work on another one.
3. I'm currently a tutor at my school with 2 semesters experience, with a chance of getting promoted to an SI leader next semester.

The only major thing I think I'm missing in this list is shadowing. Hopefully, I'll start shadowing a physician in the summer. I'm aware It'd be too late to include it in the application, but I think I can mention it later in the secondaries.
My father is a physician, and I know about the nature of his work and what doctors' lives are like so shadowing won't be really helpful for me.

- Schools
1. in-state:
Wayne State
Michigan State MD & DO
Oakland University
Central Michigan University
Westeren Michigan University
U of M (.01% chance)

2. out-of-state:
I'm not sure yet, any suggestion would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to a single (throwaway) school on June 1 while you await your MCAT score.
This will allow for the time necessary to verify transcripts to elapse while you await your score.
Add appropriate choices when your score is known. They will go out within a day.
I'm sure your Father has friends in primary care who will be happy to let you shadow. You don't get a pass on this one, though you do have an advantage.
I can't help with a list until you have an MCAT score.

Apply to a single (throwaway) school on June 1 while you await your MCAT score.
This will allow for the time necessary to verify transcripts to elapse while you await your score.
Add appropriate choices when your score is known. They will go out within a day.
I'm sure your Father has friends in primary care who will be happy to let you shadow. You don't get a pass on this one, though you do have an advantage.
I can't help with a list until you have an MCAT score.

Thanks for your reply.
Honestly I didn't know that you can add schools to the list after submission, so yeah I'll do that.
For shadowing, I already found a physician but I'm going to start in the summer since now I don't have enough free time.
For the MCAT, I'm under the assumption that I will get a slightly better grade if I work hard on Biology, but for verbal, I don't think I'll improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the MCAT, I'm under the assumption that I will get a slightly better grade if I work hard on Biology, but for verbal, I don't think I'll improve.
There is no sense in taking the MCAT again until you are sure you will get a much better score.

There is no sense in taking the MCAT again until you are sure you will get a much better score.
I'm sure I can score a better score in Biology, and maybe even physics, but for verbal I don't know. I'm focusing mostly now on practicing verbal so maybe I'll improve.
Most schools I mentioned (except UofM) accept 30 or 29 with good GPA and ECs.
I'm going to take a practice test before the real thing, and if I don't see any improvement I'm probably not going to take it.

you do realize the old exam is not being given anymore?

you do realize the old exam is not being given anymore?
Of course I do, but it shouldn't be much different from the old one. I mean it still has physics, chemistry, biology, and verbal. They only added biochemistry and social science.

Reactions: 1 user
the new MCAT is going to be significantly longer but you've got the right mentality - Be positive but be realistic. make sure you've adequately prepped.