~3.7 cGPA, no mcat, Asian TX Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takeiteasy14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also worried about average matriculant GPA increasing for next cycle, leaving me below avg.

This should be the least of your worries.

Asian male
- Scheduled to take the MCAT ~1 week from now
- Practice MCATs = 24-26.
-

This is what you should be worried about. A 26 would be ~25th percentile for your ethnicity. Asian applicants with your stats had below a 20% acceptance rate, and a 24 is below the mean for all MCAT scores. If you want to be in an MD program, you're looking at next cycle.

Recent graduate. Asian male, TX resident.
cGPA: 3.76 sGPA: 3.60
MCAT: projected 26

Extra-curriculars
Shadowing ~200 hrs orthopedics, gen. surgery, anesthesiology, acupuncture
ER Scribe ~current job
Research ~ 160 hrs chemistry and semester social science
Leadership ~ 2 years humanitarian org
Volunteer ~ nursing homes, summer camps

- Primaries will be sent on July 5th for TMDSAS only (all MDs except Baylor)
- Scheduled to take the MCAT ~1 week from now
- Practice MCATs = 24-26.
- Study butt off and see how it goes?
- Or wait until next cycle to apply (2 gap years)?
- I just don't want to miss the opportunity of starting med school next year if I do get a decent score.
- Also worried about average matriculant GPA increasing for next cycle, leaving me below avg.
- Any advice appreciated, thanks.
If 26 is your ceiling and you want your best chance to get in during this next cycle, you'd be well advised to include TCOM (DO) on your application list. If MD is important to you, don't take the test if you're not repeatedly scoring in yor target range on practice tests. As gyngyn has said, "A weak MCAT score is like Herpes, it's with you forever."

Members don't see this ad :)
Bottom line: you need to get your MCAT up if you want to go to an MD school. If you're fine with DO, then go ahead and take it right now and be done with it, but you'll have to apply to more than just TCOM. It sucks to wait another year, but a 24-26 MCAT just isn't good enough to have a good shot at being accepted. If I were you, I would take this next year to keep working as a scribe, keep studying for the MCAT, and aim for a 30+ score.

Reactions: 1 user