3.65 GPA, 35P Unbalanced MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gandalfthegray

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-snip

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA's are right on par. However, the upward trend coupled with the Ivy league will certainly work in your favor.

As for your MCAT score, although your Verbal is sub-10, it's made up for by your performance in the other 2 sections and a fantastic overall score. I STRONGLY recommend against a retake if that's what you're considering. Had your verbal been <8, that'd be a different story.

I also suggest taking a look at some other schools, your list seems pretty top heavy, although UMass's IS favorability should hopefully work in your favor if the rest pan out.

Your EC's seem a little weak, but your numbers should compensate. You could've probably used 3-4x the amount of CV you've done, but I guess it's too late now. Submit your AMCAS for verification ASAP, and best of luck this cycle!

I'll take your advice! Any schools you can think of? Any other takes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Look into some private school safeties.

Around the Drexel/GW level (though they do get a lot of applications!)

you got to apply to more lower ranked schools and more schools in general. It will help your chances. Nothing on your application jumps out at me as being amazing so definitely apply more broadly. I had higher GPA and MCAT, also from Ivy, and I wasn't interviewed at Cornell, Mt sinai, or Columbia (didn't apply to columbia though).

I'd recommend adding Buffalo, Upstate, Albany, Rochester, Penn state, Jefferson [just to name a some northeast schools close by]

you got to apply to more lower ranked schools and more schools in general. It will help your chances. Nothing on your application jumps out at me as being amazing so definitely apply more broadly. I had higher GPA and MCAT, also from Ivy, and I wasn't interviewed at Cornell, Mt sinai, or Columbia (didn't apply to columbia though).

I'd recommend adding Buffalo, Upstate, Albany, Rochester, Penn state, Jefferson [just to name a some northeast schools close by]

lolwut :confused:

You don't have any volunteering. I'd take a good hard look at the secondaries you'll have to fill out on the school specific threads to see if you could put together decent responses.

OP your list looks good. I am also from MA, very similar GPA MCAT etc, and my list is very similar plus or minus a few schools. My frame of mind is that I will be thrilled to get accepted at Umass (legit mid-tier with great research mentorship), and any acceptances at top schools will just be icing on the cake :thumbup:. I am just getting a little burnt out by secondaries atm.

edit: I am not quite sure, but from what I recall the SUNY secondary asks something about your support network in NY. I removed it from my list for that reason.

Last edited:
Numerically, your application seems fine, but I think you could use some more exposure to healthcare. While your trip abroad seems interesting, it may not give much perspective to your adcoms that you understand how healthcare is delivered stateside, especially since it doesn't seem like you're going to be a future Paul Farmer...

50 hours of volunteering is nothing...... Just saying...