~3.65 GPA 3.62 sGPA Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HookemHorns2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in March after cramming and got a 32Q. I was contemplating retaking the MCAT because I think I can do better. I would be retaking it in August so I wouldn't get my score back until September and I was wondering whether it is worth retaking. I will be applying to medical school this summer.

Does anyone know if the UT system (I want to go to UT Southwestern) looks at applications a first time with an initial MCAT score and then re-evaluates them with the second score or if they do not look at the application until final MCAT scores come in?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT in March after cramming and got a 32Q. I was contemplating retaking the MCAT because I think I can do better. I would be retaking it in August so I wouldn't get my score back until September and I was wondering whether it is worth retaking. I will be applying to medical school this summer.

Does anyone know if the UT system (I want to go to UT Southwestern) looks at applications a first time with an initial MCAT score and then re-evaluates them with the second score or if they do not look at the application until final MCAT scores come in?

If you're dead-set on UT Southwestern, then retake, 32 is below the median. I don't know about whether they reevaluate applications upon receipt of MCAT retakes, but from an overall perspective, judging only by your current MCAT, you have a great shot at any of the Texas med schools, especially with the 3.65/3.62. Southwestern is research-focused - how are your research ECs?

I'd go ahead and submit the application now and let the chips fall where they may. Keep an open mind about the other Texas med schools - they may surprise you. An MD is an MD in the end. Good luck. . .

Dun retake a 32. Plus, apply earlier will do you more good than maybe a 1-2 pt increase that comes in sept. Plus, anything can happen in MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake unless you're at less than 8 in one of the subsections. You may not be at the median for UTSW and Baylor, but you're not below the 10th percentile either. Texas Tech surprised me for sure, so keep your mind and eyes open. Good luck!

Don't retake unless you're at less than 8 in one of the subsections. You may not be at the median for UTSW and Baylor, but you're not below the 10th percentile either. Texas Tech surprised me for sure, so keep your mind and eyes open. Good luck!
Tech is hella generous on giving money too.:D