MD & DO 3.64cGPA, 3.53sGPA, Unique criminal history; WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Cumulative GPA: 3.64, upward trend (3.8+ junior and senior year at T20 Research State School)
Science GPA: 3.53
MCAT Score: taken once, 519 (130/131/129/129)
Research
- 1 year in top dermatology clinical research lab, no publications or posters. Mainly calling patients/digging through medical records to maintain database, helping med students/post-docs with their wet lab work, transporting tissue samples from hospital to lab
Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
- 100 hours as a patient-family liaison at a level one trauma center neuroscience ICU. Mainly rounding on patients and asking them if they want a book/newspaper/just to talk, then helping families secure housing nearby and find showers in the hospital
Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
- 64 hours of rural primary care
- 8 hours of pediatrics
- many, many hours of urgent care where I work as a scribe/MA
Non-clinical volunteering:
- approx. 100 hours of piano lessons to college kids that couldn't afford
Extracurricular activities:
- 2 years of rowing every morning before class at three separate rowing clubs, including briefly for the university itself
- 18 years of classical piano, performed at everything from weddings to funerals
- Director of Academic Affairs for large fraternity, nationally recognized for bringing house GPA from bottom 5 on campus to top 5
- Neurobiology club sophomore and junior year
- Senior class gift council
Employment history:
- Clinical cancer research lab - part time during school year, full time during summer for one year
- Scribe/MA - will have 1 year, includes extensive 1-on-1 time with patients, phlebotomy, urine/stool sample collection and rapid testing, assisting with minor prodecures (cutting sutures, etc)
- Kitchen Assistant at sorority - Not much more to say about this but it was the job I had freshman/sophomore/most of junior year
Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): No
Specialty of interest: Primary Care
Ethnicity/gender: White male

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hopefully you can be forgiven for this past grave mistake. Also, perhaps you should include your volunteering in the community for drug and alcohol safety? Not sure but that sounds like a significant activity in your life. But maybe you shouldn't emphasize it? Lets see what adcoms think.

Hopefully you can be forgiven for this past grave mistake. Also, perhaps you should include your volunteering in the community for drug and alcohol safety? Not sure but that sounds like a significant activity in your life. But maybe you shouldn't emphasize it? Lets see what adcoms think.

My gut instinct is to avoid emphasizing it during primaries/secondaries and then talking about it face to face in interviews, but thank you for the idea I may add that in