3.61 cGPA, 3.66 sGPA, 28Q, DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aDOdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, long-time lurker and during application season I wanted to see if I was good enough to apply and get in as a DO. What would be my chance for acceptance to DO schools? Want to go to schools like PCOM, UMDNJ, or OU-COM.

3.61 cGPA
3.66 sGPA
28Q MCAT

ECs:
60 hours hospital volunteer (eventually hired)
50 hours shadowing 2 MDs
100+ hours as certified EMT
3 years working at hospital with lots of patient interaction
Tutoring
1 year research
DO Letter
Play in a sport
Teach kids in the sport
Work throughout college

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, long-time lurker and during application season I wanted to see if I was good enough to apply and get in as a DO. What would be my chance for acceptance to DO schools? Want to go to schools like PCOM, UMDNJ, or OU-COM.

3.61 cGPA
3.66 sGPA
28Q MCAT

ECs:
60 hours hospital volunteer (eventually hired)
50 hours shadowing 2 MDs
100+ hours as certified EMT
3 years working at hospital with lots of patient interaction
Tutoring
1 year research
DO Letter
Play in a sport
Teach kids in the sport
Work throughout college

Your stats are golden. Whats your home state?

Your stats are golden. Whats your home state?

NJ, so UMDNJ (or whatever it's gonna be called after the merger) is one of my top picks due to proximity and I've heard nothing but good things about the program and the clinicals it provides M3/M4 students. But OU is tempting as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
NJ, so UMDNJ (or whatever it's gonna be called after the merger) is one of my top picks due to proximity and I've heard nothing but good things about the program and the clinicals it provides M3/M4 students. But OU is tempting as well.

OU requires non resident students to practice medicine for 5 years in Ohio. Why don't you look into some of the other top tier DO schools? Like CCOM,TCOM(very cheap tuition), DMU.

Also, why not MD schools?

OU requires non resident students to practice medicine for 5 years in Ohio. Why don't you look into some of the other top tier DO schools? Like CCOM,TCOM(very cheap tuition), DMU.

Also, why not MD schools?

Yeah I wouldn't mind that provided it gives me a chance to match into a residency that is top-notch and will help me be a capable and independent doctor.

I'd like to do MD but my budget just won't allow it. Between just the DO primary, secondaries, traveling to potential interview... it adds up. Figured if DO is my best shot, I'd put my money where it'll help the most. Besides I have met some very successful DOs at my hospital, so to me it's all the same. I just want to go to a good DO school.

Any other opinions? Should I apply to some MD schools as well? Hard decisions so I was wondering if people in the know will be able to see if it's worthwhile or not.

I think you have a decent shot at MD and almost a guarantee for DO. if you don't want to apply MD and want strictly DO you should look into DMU and CCOM for sure as well as AZCOM. Avoid schools with bias, a lot of the southeastern DO schools tend to have bias. I think you have an excellenct chance UMDNJ.

I think you have a decent shot at MD and almost a guarantee for DO. if you don't want to apply MD and want strictly DO you should look into DMU and CCOM for sure as well as AZCOM. Avoid schools with bias, a lot of the southeastern DO schools tend to have bias. I think you have an excellenct chance UMDNJ.

this dude knows his stuff but i think it really depends on your location more than anything and just apply early and often

I have similar stats c3.6/s3.5/29 and am fortunate enough to have my parents help to apply MD and DO. I'm hoping applying early and broadly I can maybe get a MD acceptance. If you can afford it, I would say try and apply to your state MD school and maybe a few others cause you never know!

im actually in a very similar situation. 28, 3.6 in NJ....applied to bunch of DO schools hopefully looking for umdnj, pcom as my top...i also applied to the MD schools in NJ and also NYMC and drexel just so ik i at least tried :/