This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigLadyBugBelly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I want to get an idea for what MD/DO schools I could be eligible for and what I can do to improve my current standing.

I'm a senior pre-med Neuroscience and English double-major at Georgia State University with an expected 3.6-3.7 cGPA and a 3.3-3.4 sGPA upon graduating. I'm a Georgia resident interested in MD/DO schools that integrate Narrative Medicine in their curriculum-- Columbia M.C., West Virginia M.C., Arizona M.C., and Dell M.C. at UT to name a few.

My education goals are to pursue a MD/DO for Neurology and obtain a M.F.A in fiction writing after medical school. I value clinical research, personable doctor-patient relationships, and medical schools/practices that encourage and employ creativity in treatment. My career goals are to practice Neurology while conducting clinical research, as well as publishing short-fiction in literary journals.

About myself: I'm a 25 year old white male and I'll be the first in my family to graduate with a college degree. My mother worked as a receptionist and my father was a male dancer and now delivers roofing material by semi-truck. I graduated high-school in 2010 but performed poorly due to a poor work-ethic and disinterest in classes.I made donuts at Krispy Kreme for two years and decided I didn't want to work minimum wage jobs my whole life and saved up money to attend community college in 2012. I fostered a better work ethic and because I knew the job outcome would be dismal if not. I transferred to GSU with a 3.9 GPA after two years of community school and have been at GSU since. I bartend 8-12 hour shifts at a karaoke bar Friday-Sunday to support living on my own. Bartending has improved my relations with people (drunk and sober) and the ability to perform well under pressure.

I chose to pursue Neuroscience and English because I always loved reading and writing. I've always enjoyed writing short stories but I knew it wasn't a "career". Neurology, however, bridged the gap between stories and practical issues. Listening to people's issues and taking those observations to better their health through medicine greatly appealed to me.

GPA trend: My GPA blip came sophmore year when I got two C+s in Gen. Chem. These are the only C's I've gotten. I got a B in Orgo I and am trying for an A in Orgo II and Biochem. Most Neuro and upper level bio's are B+ and up. English GPA is +4.0, but I don't think that really matters. I understand my GPA isn't that great but it isn't terrible either.Overall, it has an upward trend

If my GPA is a major problem, I will consider Post-Bacc or a Master's program in either Neuroscience, Medical Science, or Narrative Medicine (will most likely lean towards Masters program with Hard science over Soft science).

MCAT: I'm scheduled to take the MCAT next fall and will begin studying January of the upcoming year when I'm finishing my last semester of pre-med and English courses. I plan to apply for a course and buy as many practice tests and workbooks as possible. I plan to study 6-8 hours 6 days a week at the library.

Research:
I worked in a Neuro lab studying the effects of stress on female Zebra Finches mate preference by analyzing the male song for a year and a half. No paper was produced but I learned IHC, western blot, and cryostat sectioning.

Extracurriculars: I wrestled for my first year on the GSU wrestling team, I was an American Medical Student Association (AMSA) officer for one year and president the next, I am a member of the creative writing group at GSU and plan to publish a short-story before graduation in the GSU journal, and I'm the current historian for the biological honors society. Other than school EC's, I enjoy weightlifting and cycling.

Volunteer/Shadowing: I've volunteered at Grady on the neurology department for ~100 hours and will start shadowing a doctor within the year. Volunteering at Grady, I've aided the nurses with injections, phone calls, and equipment retrieval. It's helped me understand how nurses care for patients, which is helpful considering they are with them more than doctors.
I've volunteered at the Atlanta Science Festival for a couple years and walked kids through a small biological experiment. Being president of AMSA, I've also helped organize pre-med health fairs with the pre-med committee and helped with set-up. I will be doing work with habitat for humanity and an animal shelter this semester.

Thanks in advance for recommended schools and advice moving forward!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hard to tell without an MCAT score...it really is, as most schools look at those first. Your GPA is good but your sGPA is much lower than normal GPA which might hurt you. I am not sure if you are a TX resident but its hard to get OS in here. Your GPA is competitive for most DO schools and many MD schools. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hard to tell without an MCAT score...it really is, as most schools look at those first. Your GPA is good but your sGPA is much lower than normal GPA which might hurt you. I am not sure if you are a TX resident but its hard to get OS in here. Your GPA is competitive for most DO schools and many MD schools. Good luck!
I'm a Georgia resident. Completely understand regarding the MCAT-- it's a game changer. Thanks!

Finish strong and come back on here when you get your MCAT. Really nothing much to add at this point. Good luck OP!