~3.6 ~511 ORM What are my glaring deficiencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

le_purrde

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied DO only this year due to finalizing my app too late for a realistic shot at MD with my GPA. I did not want to be a reapplicant for MD schools and will definitely have my app submitted the moment AMCAS is open for next cycle.

I have gone on a few DO interviews but I have zero compelling reasons for 'why DO' and I think all of the schools I have interviewed at have picked up on that because they have all questioned my interest in DO pretty heavily. I have no DO shadowing or real DO-specific healthcare experience.

Right now my app looks like this:

* ~3.6 GPA
* ~511 MCAT - very even scores
* ~100 hours of MD shadowing
* 1 semester of research, nothing came of it.
* ~600+ hours of community health volunteering between two different orgs
* 2 summers / ~150 hours of non-healthcare community volunteering

What should I be focusing on this winter/coming year to bolster my app should I not get any DO acceptances? For obvious reasons I'm not gunning for or expecting any interest in 'top tier' schools, and I really do not care what school I attend as long as it's a place that provides a solid education and isn't in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for any recommendations

Members don't see this ad.

Not URM, rather ORM. State of residence is Kansas

You are competitive for some MD schools and I suggest applying to all of these next June:
Kansas
Creighton
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Tulane
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall,Kaiser, Roseman, NOVA MD)