3.5gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mexipod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This totally sucks!!! I literally have a 3.49gpa and am about to complete my 3rd year!! How competitive am I to stay here in california with such a gpa :(

Members don't see this ad.

What program are you looking at trying to get into? At some California programs your GPA will mean less than your class rank. If it's just location you want, your grades will get you into almost any clerkship, then you actually have to show what you are made of. Grades mean zilch if you suck in clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just would like to stay in california, preferably southern. I really don't care where though. clinically, I believe I am competant. When I dont know something, I try to learn it asap and show the attendings I can do it

I would avoid talking about how much your 3.49 GPA "sucks" that kind of attitude comes off poorly. Be early, stay late, stay off your phone, read articles, don't ask too many questions, get along with the staff, get to know the attendings, get the residents to like you, don't complain, stay off your phone, be kind, don't step on other students toes, don't be negative, don't be annoying, dont lie, don't be lazy, don't fall asleep, be well prepared for your presentation, work hard, don't talk about yourself, be confident, learn to suture well, learn hand ties well, and above all don't be a jerk to anyone. Then maybe people will overlook your grades, and give you a shot. TIC

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have the wrong mentality thinking 0.01 difference in a gpa will get you the spot.

I did not mean to come off in any way. When I said "sucks", I meant it sucks that I couldn't get that extra 0.01 point up to a 3.50. I worked hard for my gpa. And will maintain the best I can in clinic.

You're GPA is better than most student's GPAs nation wide.Are you fishing for a pat on the back or something? What can we do to help you?

Reactions: 3 users