~3.55 GPA 33MCAT (Phys sci:10, verbal:10, bio sci: 13) veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ski-u-mah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I have a decent shot at med school, just wondering what people think. Minnesota resident.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the ECs, you're golden. And many thanks for your service to our country!

Start with U MN and work outwards.

Got a second author research paper and volunteer in an ER in the twin cities...

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the support! I hope you are right.

Apply early. As a fellow MN resident I suggest:
  1. U of Minnesota - Twin Cities - statistically your best shot at acceptance.
  2. U of Minnesota - Duluth - only if you have some rural connections and can make a case for rural medicine. If you grew up in the Metro area and never shadowed outside the Metro area your chances will probably be very small. Still might be worth a shot. One perk about Duluth is that they reject you early on which is kinda nice since you are not left waiting.
  3. Medical College of Wisconsin
  4. University of Wisconsin - helps if you have connections to WI and have interests in public health.
  5. University of Iowa - connections to state help
  6. North Dakota - they do save a certain portion of seats for MN so its possible to get an interview
  7. Various OOS private schools that fit within your MCAT/GPA range

Don't bother with South Dakota unless you have significant connections to SD(defined on their website). Your GPA may be too low for Mayo. You can certainly have more schools than this list, but these are schools I would definitely have on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
GPA - 3.5 Bio Chemistry
MCAT - 33 (10/11/12 - VR/PS/BS)
Resident - Texas

Question:
1. What are the chances of getting into medical school (MD) for academic year 2016.
2. As my GPA is low, do I retake MCAT again to improve my score / chances
3. If you attempt MCAT multiple times, do they they the best score or the latest one for school admission

Would appreciate your views please

GPA - 3.5 Bio Chemistry
MCAT - 33 (10/11/12 - VR/PS/BS)
Resident - Texas

Question:
1. What are the chances of getting into medical school (MD) for academic year 2016.
2. As my GPA is low, do I retake MCAT again to improve my score / chances
3. If you attempt MCAT multiple times, do they they the best score or the latest one for school admission

Would appreciate your views please

Your numbers are good.

Don't even think about retaking a 33, especially when the new MCAT is about to be here.

More schools are moving toward averaging multiple MCAT scores. Some use the most recent, some take the best, and a few create a new score using your best subscores. I agree that retaking a good MCAT isn't a good strategy. Being sure you apply with an upward grade trend, especially in the sciences over the last few terms, is a better one.

More schools are moving toward averaging multiple MCAT scores. Some use the most recent, some take the best, and a few create a new score using your best subscores. I agree that retaking a good MCAT isn't a good strategy. Being sure you apply with an upward grade trend, especially in the sciences over the last few terms, is a better one.
Thanks and appreciate your inputs.