3.54 GPA, 3.377 sGPA, no MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorK2.0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-year:junior at UCLA
-major: in psychobiology with a minor in society and genetics.
-resident: Florida
-race: hispanic
- overall GPA 3. 54 and a 3.377 science GPA
-I anticipate raising my GPA to at least a 3.6 overall by graduation, but my goal is a 3.7.

I have not taken the MCAT yet, so I know this may be hard to predict given my unfinished coursework and lack of MCAT-- but it's finals week and I'm freaking out.

EC:
-200 hours shadowing a cardiologist in Miami
-30 hours shadowing a neurosurgeon in the OR and office
-1 semester doing psych research on PTSD
-(1+ year internship in progress) doing research at a behavioral health facility with my two psych professors
-so far I am on one poster(not 1st author)
-I will likely be published and on 3-4 more posters this year (non 1st author)
-and at least 1 poster where I am the 1st author
-leadership position in my international medical volunteer group
-public health and newsletter assistant chair
-120+ hours volunteering in medical clinics in central america where I diagnosed, treated, and prescribed patients under the watch of certified medical doctors
-another trip planned in a few months

honor societies and awards:
-graduated member of PEERS, a UCLA science honor society
-member of the alpha lambda delta and phi eta sigma honor societies
-recipient of the florida alumni scholarship

hobbies/skills:
-I am a member of a panhellenic sorority
-fluent spanish
-elementary french

LOR:
-none YET
-planned: 2 from my psychology professors that I work for, 1 from the cardiologist i interned for
-hopefully: 1 from the neurosurgeon, 1 from a very prestigious professor I am taking a class with next quarter.

1-------->WHAT ARE MY CHANCES: I want to go to UCLA very badly! I would love going to cambridge as well but it is a reach. UofM is a target school I guess.
2-------->WHAT CAN I DO TO RAISE MY CHANCES: I will have a significantly higher GPA by graduation, I know I need a strong MCAT in the 34 range, and I;m hoping to work in a "wet" lab next school year--preferably in a neuro/genetics lab

THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: