DO 3.53 cgpa, 3.3 sgpa, no mcat yet... Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orion Pax

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I currently have one year left as an undergrad at penn state main campus, whereafter I plan to take a gap year as I apply in the spring of my senior year with looking at entering medical school during fall 2019. I'm a vertebrate physiology biology major with a minor in Health Policy and administration.

I plan to take the MCAT in august. Im currently studying for it now.

I am very interested in DO schools over medical schools, as I align with their philosophy to a greater degree.

I have had an upward trend in my gpa junior year while taking challenging classes. Went form a 3.4 to a 3.53 from sophomore to junior year.

As far as extracurriculars, I am currently an EMT (Paid at home during the summer and volunteer up at school during the fall and spring). I have accumulated a lot of clinical experience and patient contacts this way. However, i only started as an EMT in January of 2017. I plan to continue working the next year and throughout my gap year as an EMT to continue to get experience.

I previously did half of a semester of research for an agricultural project at penn state, but I didn't like it at all, so i didn't continue with it. I much rather prefer direct patient care and clinical experience.

I am part of a christian club at my school.

I volunteer 1-2 times a week in the local hospital's ER up at school during the fall and spring.

I am currently shadowing a DO right now regularly, about once a week for the summer. He is a family practice physician. I have also shadowed a general surgeon once but it didn't really interest me. I actually am starting to grow an interest for primary care as I shadow the DO more and more.

I plan to TA in some degree next year for an undergraduate medical histology class offered at my school.

I am also interested in becoming a medical scribe part time up at school, however those spots are competitive and Im not guaranteed to be offered a spot.

Im just curious to see where I stand in terms of competitiveness for DO schools. I know I haven't taken my MCAT yet and thats obviously a big variable. What score do you think is competitive taking all of my application into consideration? What do you recommend I improve upon to strengthen my application? Any comment is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPAs and ECs are almost identical to mine. Score a 504+ on MCAT, good LOR and a compelling personal statement, and you will be fine. I was accepted to 10 of 16 DO schools I applied to. Did not apply MD

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user