MD & DO ~3.5 sGPA, ~3.6 cGPA, 514 MCAT, re-app - pruning school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikeponies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all!

Just wanted to get some additional input with regard to a school list... I have consulted with an advisor and pulled this list together, but would really appreciate further recommendations from some of the AdComs on here on which (if any) to add or remove.

For background purposes: as I said in the title, I'm a re-applicant. I took the old MCAT a couple of times and scored in the 27-29 range, but always felt I was capable of a 33ish - and I seem to have gotten my wish with this new exam haha. It's a pretty balanced 514, with section scores ranging from 127-130. I have pretty solid ECs with one 3rd-author publication, am presenting an abstract (1st author) at a major conference this fall, and will likely have at least one more manuscript within the next year. I've been working in a clinical research position (with tons of patient interaction) at a major hospital for the past two years and will stay with them until matriculation. And my science GPA would be much higher had I not struggled with two classes for my initial major during my freshman year. >> Nothing lower than a C, though.

MD
Creighton
St. Louis
Temple
Tulane
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
Loyola Chicago
Rosalind Franklin
Pitt (reach)
Albany
MCW
NYMC
Rush
Oakland
Jefferson
Indiana
Drexel
VCU
UVM
The Commonwealth MC
GW
EVMS
Penn State
Miami
Rochester
Virginia Tech
my state school

DO
PCOM
Des Moines
KCUMB
A.T. Still
Midwestern
Nova Southeastern
NYIT/NYCOM
Western

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The 33 definitely won't have the same value having already gotten multiple sub 30 scores on your record

The upward trend is helpful. Your fine for any DO school pretty much. Where did you apply last cycle and did you have any interviews? What is your state of residency?

This list is solid although I wouldn't waste money applying to pitt or Indiana and I dont really think I would recommend Commonwealth out of state. Add western Michigan Tufts and probably Georgetown as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the feedback!

The 33 definitely won't have the same value having already gotten multiple sub 30 scores on your record

The upward trend is helpful. Your fine for any DO school pretty much. Where did you apply last cycle and did you have any interviews? What is your state of residency?

This list is solid although I wouldn't waste money applying to pitt or Indiana and I dont really think I would recommend Commonwealth out of state. Add western Michigan Tufts and probably Georgetown as well

Agreed, though the advisor I spoke with said that since it's a significant jump in score it still holds quite a bit of weight. Definitely would have been nice to get that the first time though haha.

In the prior cycle I had one interview, to the school affiliated with the hospital I've been working for. For the sake of anonymity I'd rather not say, but I'm in the eastern half of the U.S. and there is only one state school.

I have some ties to Pittsburgh and to Pitt itself so I think I'm going to keep that, and the advisor I spoke with said she had some people in a similar situation to me have luck with Indiana so I may take a gamble there as well. As for the other three, thanks - I'll definitely do some more digging, there.

Good list.
As long as your gpa is on target you should get several DO interviews and depending on how many re-takes, some MD as well.

Thank you! Not to be intentionally vague, but what did you have in mind for the number of re-takes "cut-off" with that comment? And I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the re-takes were roughly a year apart.

Thank you both for the feedback!

Agreed, though the advisor I spoke with said that since it's a significant jump in score it still holds quite a bit of weight.

In the prior cycle I had one interview, to the school affiliated with the hospital I've been working for. For the sake of anonymity I'd rather not say, but I'm in the eastern half of the U.S. and there is only one state school.

I have some ties to Pittsburgh and to Pitt itself so I think I'm going to keep that, and the advisor I spoke with said she had some people in a similar situation to me have luck with Indiana so I may take a gamble there as well. As for the other three, thanks - I'll definitely do some more digging, there.

Thank you! Not to be intentionally vague, but what did you have in mind for the number of re-takes "cut-off" with that comment? And I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the re-takes were roughly a year apart.
More than two exams starts to become an independent factor.