~3.5 GPA (c and s), no mcat yet, chances/guidance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slohusky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I am a junior molecular biology/computer science major at Claremont McKenna(the mol bio) and Harvey Mudd (the CS) colleges. My cumulative and science gpa's will be slightly above 3.5 at time of graduation.

I understand my gpa is pretty low for an MD applicant... I had some pretty serious roommate issues (suicidal/drug addict) freshman year and my grades really tanked. I have had a strong upward trend each semester since then, though. I plan on taking at least one gap year after graduation, maybe two if necessary (?).

My question is - what can I do my gap year(s) to maximize my chances at acceptance to an MD school? I understand that my gpa already takes me out of the running for top-tier schools, I am hoping for possibly a mid tier school but have no problem with a low tier school (also a CA resident and URM Mexican). I would ideally be a military physician, would love to go to USUHS or do the HSPS, also very interested in rural med. I understand that regardless of the rest of my application I need to ace the mcat (very good test taker, contrary to what my gpa would argue), and I am making arrangements with a local hospital to volunteer/shadow.

My EC's:
- medical mission trip to Managua a couple summer's ago (spoke in Spanish, set up clinic, assisted doctor, etc).
- founded a charity for underserved elementary school's in the Inland Empire (we teach introductory programming ideas to students, get them interested in CS)
- Organic Chemistry Lab TA for two years at time of graduation
- Organic Chemistry tutor for two years at time of graduation
- year and half of research experience in chemistry lab at my school, presented a poster in Graduate Division at the national ACS convention last week
- varsity athlete for two years (career ending injury/surgery during sophomore year season)
- very competitive internship this summer in a top secret Department of Defense molecular biology lab in Washington DC (medical research)

The DoD internship includes an opportunity for employment after graduation for interns in this specific lab, which I intend to look into after this summer's experience. However, would this be a good use of my gap year (or two)? Assuming I work for the DoD for two years, would I be a competitive MD applicant? Or is there a better use of my time? Any other info would be greatly appreciated... currently reeling from the reality check that is MD admission statistics. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: