~3.5 gpa, 25 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AkGrown84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal:
I am a mom of 4 (all my schooling, with the exception of my first year, was done after having kids), with a decent enough GPA with ~3.5 both cumulative and science (nothing spectacular, but not bad) and a pretty sub-par MCAT. I took the MCAT in May and ended up with a 25: 10 VR, 6 PS, and 9 BS. I immediately decided to retake it, because I KNOW I can up my PS score. In reality, I'm great with concepts, bad with equations, which is why I have problems in PS. I just retook the MCAT yesterday, for which I was very hopeful, as the last 3 practice exams I've taken have resulted in a 27, 28, and 30. However....it was by far the toughest PS section I've taken and I ended up running out of time and 6-7 questions weren't answered. I voided my test. There's no way I'm going to retake this test for this application cycle, so I've focused on completing secondaries, spending time with the family, etc. If I don't get any invitations to interview by January/February, I'll study another month or two and retake the MCAT in March/April/May for next year's cycle.

I am a white female from Alaska. I don't have any scientific research experience, but plenty (around 500 hours right now) clinical experience in the emergency room. I have 40-50 shadowing hours and plenty of non-medical volunteering with my children's school, preschool, sports, etc. I have applied to 10 MD schools (Creighton, Drexel, Temple, Loma Linda, The Commonwealth Medical College, Uniformed Services University, U of AZ Tucson, U of Kansas, U of Washington through the WWAMI program-Alaska gets 20 slots, and Western Michigan U) as well as 5 DO Schools (AT Still AZ, ACOM, Philadelphia COM, and Touro in both NV and CA).

My question is this: What are my changes of getting into anything at this point?
Also...besides bringing my MCAT score up (for next cycle), what else does anyone suggest to make me a stronger applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine for a number of DO programs, but unless you can get your MCAT into the high 20s (like, >27), I doubt you'll have much luck with MD programs. Do not apply to Uniformed Services University unless you're committed to a career in military medicine. U KS and U AZ will favor the home team and you have to be above avg to get into a public school as an OOS applicant. U WA? Don't know the ir stats for AK residents, so might as well try.

You should also consider NYMC, Rosy franklin, SLU, MCW, both DC schools, and all new MD programs. Add more DO programs too.

I am a white female from Alaska. I don't have any scientific research experience, but plenty (around 500 hours right now) clinical experience in the emergency room. I have 40-50 shadowing hours and plenty of non-medical volunteering with my children's school, preschool, sports, etc. I have applied to 10 MD schools (Creighton, Drexel, Temple, Loma Linda, The Commonwealth Medical College, Uniformed Services University, U of AZ Tucson, U of Kansas, U of Washington through the WWAMI program-Alaska gets 20 slots, and Western Michigan U) as well as 5 DO Schools (AT Still AZ, ACOM, Philadelphia COM, and Touro in both NV and CA).

My question is this: What are my changes of getting into anything at this point?
Also...besides bringing my MCAT score up (for next cycle), what else does anyone suggest to make me a stronger applicant?[/QUOTE]

USUHS and UW (through the WWAMI program) are actually my top choices. I work with a number of former military physicians in the ER, so I have been able to pick their brains, get advice, etc from them both about practicing in the military and the education at USUHS. I'm well aware of the commitment, but with a family, the salary plus the lack of any medical school debt more than makes up for the 7 years of commitment afterward (for me, at least, I'm sure others would disagree!). The program through UW takes 20 Alaskan residents each year. Our 1st year is here in AK, 2nd in WA, and then rotations in any of the 5 states represented in WWAMI. It's a long-shot for me, but kind of a no-brainer considering the tuition break we get and being able to stay "home" for another year.

So the only problem with some of the schools you mentioned are the locations. To be realistic, we can't squish 6 people (my husband and I, plus 4 kids ages 9-baby) into a small apartment, and a home in some of those areas are ungodly expensive.

That being said, what is the average # of schools people apply to? I thought 10 MD and 5 DO was plenty! Am I wrong? I don't have a problem applying to more, but I didn't want to beat a dead horse, if you know what I mean!