MD & DO 3.5 cGPA 3.1 sGPA, 26 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GypsyHummus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I am a senior this year wanting to apply to medical schools. I am a non URM, (white), traditional student (1 extra semester). I know that my numbers are not great, so I was wondering what my chances are at my state MD school and/or DO schools. My MCAT breakdown score is a 9/8/9 Bio, physical, and verbal respectively. I seemed to have maxed out my MCAT, as my practice scores were very similar and don't want to risk dropping any lower than a 26.

The problem with my app is that I have a lower science GPA. I am also a non science major, so it is harder to take science classes and have them count twords my degree. Here are the grades in my pre recs:

Gen Chem 1,2 (Freshmen Year): B,B

Bio 1,1 (Freshmen Year): C, B+

Organic 1,2 (Senior Year): B-, B+

Physics (Jr. Year): B-, B

I do have As in other "science" classes, such as bio virology research and Nutrition class, which has helped to offset that one C.

Now another option could be to re take the bio class. If I were to get an A in that class, with DO grade replacement, It would bump up my science GPA to a 3.3, which is what I was thinking of doing. I would be absolutely thrilled to go to a DO school.

Now for the ECs:
5 years volunteering in a free healthcare clinic dedicated to serving the indigent population (I wanted to make this a main theme), 1 year as english tutor for native as well as non native speakers for my University, intramural sports and team organizer for 4 years, speech and debate judge for 4 years (competed in high school, judged in college), founder of University speech team, non medical volunteering with local festivals, various officer positions for school clubs, virology research for 2 years, pediatric research for a summer (2011).

At this point, I would just want to get into ANY US medical school, be it MD or DO. I am really trying to tailor my application to illustrating a commitment to the healthcare of the underserved in my community. Do you think this would be enough to push my application over the edge or would I need an SMP and or higher MCAT score?

I appreciate any advice or feedback anybody could give. I hope this helps other people with lower numbers like mine. Thank you all so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, if it makes any difference, I do have all of the required letter of rec, but I am still trying to find a DO to get a letter from.

I think I may have answered this before for you gypsy, but the numbers are too low for MD schools, but if you PM your state, I'll be better able to advise you. You're fine for any DO program.

Hello Everybody,

I am a senior this year wanting to apply to medical schools. I am a non URM, (white), traditional student (1 extra semester). I know that my numbers are not great, so I was wondering what my chances are at my state MD school and/or DO schools. My MCAT breakdown score is a 9/8/9 Bio, physical, and verbal respectively. I seemed to have maxed out my MCAT, as my practice scores were very similar and don't want to risk dropping any lower than a 26.

The problem with my app is that I have a lower science GPA. I am also a non science major, so it is harder to take science classes and have them count twords my degree. Here are the grades in my pre recs:

Gen Chem 1,2 (Freshmen Year): B,B

Bio 1,1 (Freshmen Year): C, B+

Organic 1,2 (Senior Year): B-, B+

Physics (Jr. Year): B-, B

I do have As in other "science" classes, such as bio virology research and Nutrition class, which has helped to offset that one C.

Now another option could be to re take the bio class. If I were to get an A in that class, with DO grade replacement, It would bump up my science GPA to a 3.3, which is what I was thinking of doing. I would be absolutely thrilled to go to a DO school.

Now for the ECs:
5 years volunteering in a free healthcare clinic dedicated to serving the indigent population (I wanted to make this a main theme), 1 year as english tutor for native as well as non native speakers for my University, intramural sports and team organizer for 4 years, speech and debate judge for 4 years (competed in high school, judged in college), founder of University speech team, non medical volunteering with local festivals, various officer positions for school clubs, virology research for 2 years, pediatric research for a summer (2011).

At this point, I would just want to get into ANY US medical school, be it MD or DO. I am really trying to tailor my application to illustrating a commitment to the healthcare of the underserved in my community. Do you think this would be enough to push my application over the edge or would I need an SMP and or higher MCAT score?

I appreciate any advice or feedback anybody could give. I hope this helps other people with lower numbers like mine. Thank you all so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are very low for MD.
You have a shot at DO.
SMP(w/high-gpa) or ^ MCAT would obviously both help you, but apply broadly to DO and you might not even have to think about that.

you are fine for DO