3.5/509 Reapplicant in Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-Staniel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I was looking for some suggestions on a school list for a reapplicant, as well as your general thoughts on what I plan to improve.
My current stats: 3.5 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA (3.31 sGPA for DO), 509 MCAT, white male, FL resident.
As of now have about 2 yrs scribing experience (1 yr in ER and 1 yr in gastroenterology clinic)
some decent EC's including 2 yrs Judo, phi theta kappa honor society, health/fitness club vice pres.
Other experience as lab tech and tutoring. Volunteering on the lower side, about 200 hrs as a teaching assistant for BASBE.
Solid personal statement with disadvantaged status, first in family to attend college, immigrant.

Here are the schools I applied to:
MD: USF, FAU, FIU, FSU, Quinnipiac, Drexel, Ros Franklin
DO: Nova, Lecom-B, Lecom-SH, PCOM-GA, PCOM, NYIT, ACOM, IdahoCOM, TouroNY

I only received 2 interviews: Lecom-Bradenton (rejected) and IdahoCOM (waitlisted)

What I feel went wrong:
Weak secondary essays: some of them were rushed, and I notice I only got an II from schools w/o a secondary application.
Completely bombed the interview at Lecom. I had less than a week to prepare, and started a new medication the day before which caused me to be drowsy/nervous the entire interview.
Clearly didn't make the cut for Idaho since I am from FL and don't quite fit their mission, however I did submit an additional LOR along with a letter of intent. Regardless, I would not hold my breath.
Probably the biggest contributor: late submission. NSU, Lecom were submitted in late October. FAU, FIU, Drexel, Quinni, RF, FSU, NYIT were submitted between end of Oct and early November. PCOM's were submitted early but there was a LOR issue that delayed it to November. ICOM, Touro submitted in December, and ACOM in January.

What I plan to change:
Masters or postbacc: I am currently applying to programs at USF, Loyola, Temple, Nova, and UPenn. I know my GPA and sGPA are likely what is holding me back from MD. I am especially drawn to Temple's ACMS program since it is a direct admit to my essentially top choice school. I understand these programs are difficult/competitive/rigorous/etc but I am absolutely sure I have what it takes to complete one of these programs with a high GPA since I am 500x more driven than I was during undergrad, where I had awful study habits, rarely attended class, and essentially did the bare minimum. I also feel I have sufficient clinical experience and attending a postbac up north will allow me to get a break from FL. I realize if I reapply to the same DO schools I would more than likely get 2+ II's, however I feel a GPA of 3.7+ at a postbac would make me a great candidate for MD, and DO would serve as a fallback option.
Received an additional Rec letter from current employer (gastroenterologist)
Additional shadowing including GI procedures and ophthalmology procedures.
Additional hours scribing.
Early submissions, plan to submit all FL schools by end of June, and all OOS schools by mid-July.
Better school list? Idk, what I plan for next year so far(in order of importance/most reasonably likely chance for II):
DO: Nova, Lecom-B, ACOM, PCOM-GA, PCOM, BCOM
MD: FSU, FIU, USF, UCF, FAU, UM, UF, Drexel, Quinnipiac, Temple, Ros Frank? Loyola?

I have a preference for MD since I definitely don't see myself going into primary care and am much more interested in specializing, particularly ophthalmology. I might also add that I absolutely want to get out of FL and hopefully live in either Chicago or the Northeast, but I realize my chances are much higher in FL.

Members don't see this ad.

When you eventually reapply I suggest applying to many more MD schools and include:
ALL your Florida schools (except Miami) including NOVA MD .
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
California University (new school)
any new schools that may open (Kaiser, Roseman)
Also apply broadly to at least 10 DO schools

Your DO school list doesnt make sense, you applied to ICOM but not some of the other newer DO schools. And why not KCU?

Faha has it right with more schools

Members don't see this ad :)
When you eventually reapply I suggest applying to many more MD schools and include:
ALL your Florida schools (except Miami) including NOVA MD .
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
California University (new school)
any new schools that may open (Kaiser, Roseman)
Also apply broadly to at least 10 DO schools

Thank you for your help.
Btw why not Univ of Miami?

Your DO school list doesnt make sense, you applied to ICOM but not some of the other newer DO schools. And why not KCU?

Faha has it right with more schools

I applied to Icom (as well as Acom) around the same time because that was right after my rejection from Lecom so I was mostly looking at the newer schools which may take longer to fill their class. Also Icom didnt have a secondary and their application opened in January.
Do you think I should add KCU to next years application? I did exclude a number of DO schools from my list (cant remember exactly which) based on the behavioral science requirements (as I only took psychology but no other behav sciences).