3.47 cGPA, 520 MCAT- Help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your trend like?

Keep all the NY schools and add more high stats schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait... You're graduating in 3 years? Will the MCAT expire by the time you matriculate?
I meant that I am completing my bachelor's degree in 3 years instead of four. I'm graduating in 2017 and applying this cycle, so the score won't expire.

First off that MCAT is beautiful. Second an MCAT score is never too high anywhere. It only helps boast a score. to be honest that 3.0 year might hurt you a little but nothing too crazy. I also suggest adding a few DO schools into the mix if you're open to it only so you can ensure you'll start med school in 2017

Oh and also dont use grade deflating as an excuse....your gpa is what it is, don't tell adcoms that otherwise it could be an autoreject because you're making excuses (not saying you are but they will see it like that)

Good Luck

I'd say apply to low tier and mid tier schools.

Your MCAT sorta counteracts your subpar GPA and makes you competitive for low-mid tier med schools.

Apply to DO as a fail safe in case of you getting screened out.

For voluntering, don't put hours you did prior to college.

Also, no need to make 2 threads. You already have one in WAMC. Be patient and I'm sure adcoms will respond.

Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
First off that MCAT is beautiful. Second an MCAT score is never too high anywhere. It only helps boast a score. to be honest that 3.0 year might hurt you a little but nothing too crazy. I also suggest adding a few DO schools into the mix if you're open to it only so you can ensure you'll start med school in 2017

Oh and also dont use grade deflating as an excuse....your gpa is what it is, don't tell adcoms that otherwise it could be an autoreject because you're making excuses (not saying you are but they will see it like that)

Good Luck
Oh that's not actually a year, it's just a semester. I'm graduating college in 3 years so I'm applying with only 4 semesters of grades. Yeah, I didn't plan on telling adcoms that. Thanks for the suggestions.
I'd say apply to low tier and mid tier schools.

Your MCAT sorta counteracts your subpar GPA and makes you competitive for low-mid tier med schools.

Apply to DO as a fail safe in case of you getting screened out.

For voluntering, don't put hours you did prior to college.

Also, no need to make 2 threads. You already have one in WAMC. Be patient and I'm sure adcoms will respond.

Best of luck
I've heard that hours for activities continued through college can be counted.
Also, am I really in that bad of a situation? I thought that since my LizzyM score was a 72 I stood a decent chance if I applied to low/mid tiers.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
anyone that isn't willing to go the DO route if necessary doesn't see being a doctor as necessary enough for me to think they should even bother with any of it

Reactions: 2 users
anyone that isn't willing to go the DO route if necessary doesn't see being a doctor as necessary enough for me to think they should even bother with any of it
I disagree. Expectations are determined by capabilities. OP has a freaking 520, which I think justifies a reluctance to attend a DO school, which everyone admits has its limitations at times.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you are over-qualified for DO. Your MCAT is 13 points higher than the average DO MCAT and your gpa is higher than the DO average. And you aren't far below the average MD gpa but are a good deal above the average MCAT. So don't worry about that.

You come from a state with a lot of public schools. I think you have a great shot at Downstate and Stony and the other SUNYs. Then NYMC might use you to help bring up their MCAT average

The only thing is that I think you would do a lot better if you applied after your 3rd year and then take a gap year. You're probably 19 or 20, which is a lot younger than the average applicant and it may be used against you

I'd also check with your pre-med advising office and apply to schools where previous grads have been accepted. Those schools ought to know that your school is grade-deflating without your having to say it. I'd agree that it's not something you are allowed to whine about -- but it would be nice to have it acknowledged... Maybe in your LORs, it's something some of your professors might comment on?

Anyway -- the main problem with an imbalanced profile -- exceptionally high MCAT with lowish GPA -- is that it can paint a student as 'Bright but lazy' or 'immature' or 'disorganized screw up?' You'll want your application to show that this is not the case for you -- that you're dedicated, hard-working, mature, organized etc. and that your low grades are not due to too much partying and too little studying. But don't go so far to the other extreme that you risk looking like a robot.

I'd add a few schools with unusually high MCATs, the ones that have sometimes been described as 'stat ******' -- so Wash U, Chicago, Penn. Not too many reaches, but also not too many low-tier safeties (unless you have a specific reason for liking them) as I'd agree that your 520 might screen you out as 'low yield'.

Beggars can't be choosy. There's no such thing as a "too high MCAT" for DO schools. Mine will gladly take you, as will all the others.

But try an MD only cycle and see how it goes.

I suggest:

All SUNYs
NYMC
Tufts
BU
Albany
Netter
the Philly Triplets
Gtown
Loyola
U Miami
Wake
U VM
Creighton
Rush (maybe)
GWU
Rochester
Emory
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Einstein

Hey, I'm trying to figure out where to apply and would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out.
I know my GPA is low for MD but I also feel like my MCAT is too high for DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Beggars can't be choosy. There's no such thing as a "too high MCAT" for DO schools. Mine will gladly take you, as will all the others.

See at least someone realizes that with this kind of MCAT score med school is a real possibility with both a DO and MD app cycle

But try an MD only cycle and see how it goes.

I suggest:

All SUNYs
NYMC
Tufts
BU
Albany
Netter
the Philly Triplets
Gtown
Loyola
U Miami
Wake
U VM
Creighton
Rush (maybe)
GWU
Rochester
Emory
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Einstein
Thanks for the detailed list! Could I add Rosalind Franklin? Also, I've been trying to find out if there are any OOS friendly schools that would be inclined to take me, but I can't find much information on that.

In regards to DO, I'm willing to apply, but I feel that applying to DO in my 1st cycle would effectively be giving up on an MD, since it's very likely I'll be accepted to DO.
I don't want to be in the position of holding only DO acceptances and having to decline in order to reapply MD, since that opens up the possibility that I'd get rejected by both MD and DO in my second cycle.

I'd rather be a DO than not be a doctor at all, but I'd rather be an MD than a DO (no offense intended to the DO profession).

But there's no guarantee that you'll get accepted at an MD school, is there? Nobody is saying "apply DO only." Everybody has safety schools on your list...DO would be your safety.

In regards to DO, I'm willing to apply, but I feel that applying to DO in my 1st cycle would effectively be giving up on an MD, since it's very likely I'll be accepted to DO.
I don't want to be in the position of holding only DO acceptances and having to decline in order to reapply MD, since that opens up the possibility that I'd get rejected by both MD and DO in my second cycle.

I'd rather be a DO than not be a doctor at all, but I'd rather be an MD than a DO (no offense intended to the DO profession).

Thanks for the detailed list! Could I add Rosalind Franklin? Also, I've been trying to find out if there are any OOS friendly schools that would be inclined to take me, but I can't find much information on that.

HAHAH there are no guarantees in this world kid, you do as you wish but a good cycle includes an app to both professional schools and where ever you get in you attend. Ask yourself if you really want to be a DO because you said in the original post you don't want to take a year off but now you say you want to only apply MD and next cycle do both if you don't get in......if you don't get in the first time wouldn't that be taking a year off?

You need to sort out your thoughts and feelings before you apply.

Good Luck

HAHAH there are no guarantees in this world kid, you do as you wish but a good cycle includes an app to both professional schools and where ever you get in you attend. Ask yourself if you really want to be a DO because you said in the original post you don't want to take a year off but now you say you want to only apply MD and next cycle do both if you don't get in......if you don't get in the first time wouldn't that be taking a year off?

You need to sort out your thoughts and feelings before you apply.

Good Luck
That's pretty much my central conflict. I can't decide if time is more valuable than the MD degree. I also feel like my I'm pretty much wasting my score and the effort I put into the MCAT if I go to a DO school.

But there's no guarantee that you'll get accepted at an MD school, is there? Nobody is saying "apply DO only." Everybody has safety schools on your list...DO would be your safety.
True. My dilemma right now is whether I should save a year and go to a safety, or lose a year and take another shot at the MD.
Also, by philly triplets did you mean UPenn, Drexel, and Temple? Wouldn't applying to UPenn pretty much be a waste of money?

That's pretty much my central conflict. I can't decide if time is more valuable than the MD degree. I also feel like my I'm pretty much wasting my score and the effort I put into the MCAT if I go to a DO school.

You pretty much made your decision. By saying you "wasted" your effort and score going to a DO school proves that the stigma matters to you which is fine but I highly suggest don't go DO. Let someone who wants that spot have it and just keep on the MD route. A phenomenal MCAT is only going to go so far though so beef up that gpa a bit during this app cycle just in case.

If I heard that at my school I'd be like drop out and reapply then since you're so much better than us......that's just me though

Reactions: 4 users
MD schools have a seller's market and as such, they have plenty of applicants with high GPAs and MCAT scores. Hence, they can afford to turn away applicants such as yourself.

MD schools have a seller's market and as such, they have plenty of applicants with high GPAs and MCAT scores. Hence, they can afford to turn away applicants such as yourself.

And with a 3.4 sGPA they very well could since there are kids with a 3.6-4.0

You pretty much made your decision. By saying you "wasted" your effort and score going to a DO school proves that the stigma matters to you which is fine but I highly suggest don't go DO. Let someone who wants that spot have it and just keep on the MD route. A phenomenal MCAT is only going to go so far though so beef up that gpa a bit during this app cycle just in case.

If I heard that at my school I'd be like drop out and reapply then since you're so much better than us......that's just me though
I'm really trying to get over the stigma but I just can't. I feel like I'm lying to myself and that everything I did was in vain.
Crap, I'm royally screwed aren't I. Is it not even worth it to do an MD only cycle? I'd thought that my MCAT would give me a bit of leeway at low tier schools, but it seems like it's very unlikely that I'd receive an MD acceptance this year.

if you take a gap year you'll have to be sure whatever you're doing is *strengthening* not weakening your app with the passage of time, and that's hard to do, in general time is your enemy

the sooner you get down this 7+ year path, the better. period.

if you take a gap year you'll have to be sure whatever you're doing is *strengthening* not weakening your app with the passage of time, and that's hard to do, in general time is your enemy

the sooner you get down this 7+ year path, the better. period.
That's true, I can't count on improving my gpa. I guess I'll have to apply DO, but it really looks as though my MCAT is above 90th percentile for every single one.

That's true, I can't count on improving my gpa. I guess I'll have to apply DO, but it really looks as though my MCAT is above 90th percentile for every single one.
Well that's just too bad. You'll just have to study with us scrubs. I still say you apply MD and DO as long as you can financially sustain it.

You're a lock for CNU.

I'm really trying to get over the stigma but I just can't. I feel like I'm lying to myself and that everything I did was in vain.

Crap, I'm royally screwed aren't I. Is it not even worth it to do an MD only cycle? I'd thought that my MCAT would give me a bit of leeway at low tier schools, but it seems like it's very unlikely that I'd receive an MD acceptance this year.

look at it this way, that MCAT is not wasted because it might be what gets you a DO admission
apply to both, if you only end up with a DO acceptance, then you'll know that it was the only path for you and that the hard work on the MCAT is what put you on it
sometimes it's better to be someone's feather in their cap than to be a little fish in a big pond (high MCAT at DO school vs low GPA at MD)

but MD and DOs alike here are telling you don't even bother with any of it if letters matter that much to you
once you actually get to be an intern shoulder to shoulder with MDs & DOs alike, you will look back and realize how silly it was to worry about it
you'll realize how silly it was to worry about prestige
you only have prestige in the eyes of patients, and honestly, it will mean less because they are not only clueless, but now the trend is for them to be openly hostile to you and the medical establishment you represent

I have seen no difference in the job that my DO colleagues do vs MDs, and the patients don't appreciate the difference either

they do seem to have some insecurities/chip on their shoulder, but that's because of the discrimination I speak out against

then again, I think anyone who enters the medical field and would be sorely disappointed by ending up in a primary care field is taking an enormous and expensive risk with their well-being anyway

how bad do you want to be Dr. Baratheon? how bad do you want to use science and health topics to help people, in any capacity? I hope it's bad enough to go anywhere in the U.S., or I think that your level of dedication may not be enough to see you fulfilled come what may after admittance

over and over again people will tell you if you are motivated by prestige, you will be sorely disappointed by this field, and that is the concern I have for you based on what you've said so far

You're a lock for CNU.
Happened to a friend of mine. Didn't get a single interview besides CNU and all through the Fall I said "apply DO, it's not too late". In the end he was hoping he didn't get in because he'd rather reapply than go there... Well he moved to California last week.

Karma in action

Happened to a friend of mine. Didn't get a single interview besides CNU and all through the Fall I said "apply DO, it's not too late". In the end he was hoping he didn't get in because he'd rather reapply than go there... Well he moved to California last week.

I thought state schools are generally viewed as safeties. This is why it's strongly recommended to add your state schools if possible to your school lists.

I thought state schools are generally viewed as safeties. This is why it's strongly recommended to add your state schools if possible to your school lists.
Good odds relative to other MDs doesn't necessarily mean safety. If I'm from Oregon with a 30 / 3.7, Oregon Health & Science needs to be on my list, but it's not a "safety" the way DO schools would be.

Well that's just too bad. You'll just have to study with us scrubs. I still say you apply MD and DO as long as you can financially sustain it.

I hope we can one day be as smart as OP after all we are JUST DO students lol

I hope we can one day be as smart as OP after all we are JUST DO students lol
I never meant to disparage DO's in any way, as I've stated several times throughout this thread
I may end up becoming one.

I never meant to disparage DO's in any way, as I've stated several times throughout this thread

Your bias is clearly stated which again to each their own, can I be offended by it yes, can I get mad about it, yes, but at the end of the day you need to be comfortable with what you are whether it be MD or DO.

Something tells me you want to be a surgeon in a competitive specialty, and thats ok but remember you may not place there and if you don't then will you be happy?

Will you be happy doing primary care from a MD school?

You need to sit down and ask some serious questions, something tells me your parents are heavily involved here too but thats just a hunch.

Your bias is clearly stated which again to each their own, can I be offended by it yes, can I get mad about it, yes, but at the end of the day you need to be comfortable with what you are whether it be MD or DO.

Something tells me you want to be a surgeon in a competitive specialty, and thats ok but remember you may not place there and if you don't then will you be happy?

Will you be happy doing primary care from a MD school?

You need to sit down and ask some serious questions, something tells me your parents are heavily involved here too but thats just a hunch.
I would be happy doing primary care from an MD school. It's just that since childhood I've wanted those initials on a white coat, whether or not it's a rational desire. I know that it may not be realistic but to me this represents the end of a dream. I don't think it's unreasonable to feel sad about that.
Also, my parents have discouraged me from applying DO and from taking a gap year, which puts me in a bind since that's pretty much a catch 22. They believe my MCAT score doesn't warrant a gap year. If it were entirely up to me I'd try to raise my gpa to a 3.6 this year and apply MD only next year.

I would be happy doing primary care from an MD school. It's just that since childhood I've wanted those initials on a white coat, whether or not it's a rational desire. I know that it may not be realistic but to me this represents the end of a dream. I don't think it's unreasonable to feel sad about that.

When I was 19/20 I felt the same way, in a yr or two when you mature and realize its the same thing then you'll be fine. I noticed you're graduating early. Wait a year to apply. Maybe after a year of sobering up and maturing you can get by the initials otherwise just apply to all the MD schools you financially can and hope for the best. Just do us all a favor and don't go the caribbean route because you want the MD so much its foolish.

And trust me if the worst part of you life is STILL GETTING INTO MEDICINE then you're fine. I along with quite a few others have had a much tougher journey to med school than you have, seen our dreams crushed and reborn several times in a week. Do yourself a favor, wait some time and mature it may help you seriously and thats with all seriousness not being sarcastic

When I was 19/20 I felt the same way, in a yr or two when you mature and realize its the same thing then you'll be fine. I noticed you're graduating early. Wait a year to apply. Maybe after a year of sobering up and maturing you can get by the initials otherwise just apply to all the MD schools you financially can and hope for the best. Just do us all a favor and don't go the caribbean route because you want the MD so much its foolish.
I'd never go to the Caribbean. I mean, I'm not that hopeless of a case, right? I have a 520 after all.

I'd never go to the Caribbean. I mean, I'm not that hopeless of a case, right? I have a 520 after all.

No but your thirst for the MD scares me thats why I mentioned it..........all I can say is all these people on this thread are experts, you do as you wish, the advice is there you either act like a mature young adult and apply correctly or let your 520 lead you around by the nose either way the choice is yours I hope you find comfort in whatever path you choose

No but your thirst for the MD scares me thats why I mentioned it..........all I can say is all these people on this thread are experts, you do as you wish, the advice is there you either act like a mature young adult and apply correctly or let your 520 lead you around by the nose either way the choice is yours I hope you find comfort in whatever path you choose
Thanks. I am 19, so I do have a lot of time left. I feel like this is a hard decision with no right answer so I'll just have to weigh the options for a while.

Guys, there are very valid reasons why people choose to pursue MD over DO. No i will not say what they are because i already expressed my views on the matter several times before and i don't want this thread to be a DO-bashing thread.

If OP doesn't want to apply DO this cycle, do not force him. Do not recommend or advise OP to apply DO. Let him go MD-only and plan accordingly.

This is why i said i think the state schools are OP's safety schools here regardless of the odds calculation.

Reactions: 4 users