MD 3.45cGpa, 3.74sGpa, taking MCAT soon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MCAT this April, and I know a big part of my chances is what I get on the MCAT, but I would like to know where I really stood, as well as what MCAT score I'm going to at LEAST need in order to have a solid shot at a US MD school. I am a Texas resident applying in-state:

3.46 cGPA
3.75 sGPA
(A’s in both Gchems, Ochems, Physics, and Bios)
3.85 cGPA in the last 68 credit hours taken

60+ hours volunteering at Hospital​
280+ hours working as an ER scribe​
400+ hours of Biomedical research​
20+ hours of shadowing Family physician​
30+ hours of shadowing Endocrinologist​
60+ hours of one-on-one science tutoring​
~200 hours leading a Supplemental Instruction course (Bio I)​
As a kid/young teen I spent multiple Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays feeding the homeless and providing gifts to underprivileged communities​
Member of Golden Key Honour and National Honor Society​
Co-social chair of Fraternity​
7 years in the music industry as a singer/songwriter/producer with 3 albums ranging from acoustic, rock, pop, hip-hop, and electro that were released on iTunes. Roughly 200,000 hits online​
Half Hispanic (from my mother’s side). A large part of my family is from Monterrey, Mexico​
Partially bilingual (Spanish). I couldn’t be a reporter for Telemundo or anything but I can speak/understand Spanish well enough to get around somewhat in Mexico.​

I'm studying right now already, but certain aspects of the test (verbal, some bio passages) are intimidating given my lack of background knowledge in Micro and Genetics. So I'm hoping for the best, but given the circumstance I get between 27-29, I would like to know if I would still have a solid shot or if I would need to retake for sure. Thanks for the feedback!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine for DO programs. To be competetive for MD, you're going to need to score at least a 30 on MCAT. The cGPA is below avg, but in striking distance for many low-tier MD schools. Stick to private schools except for your home state school, if any.

I'm studying right now already, but certain aspects of the test (verbal, some bio passages) are intimidating given my lack of background knowledge in Micro and Genetics. So I'm hoping for the best, but given the circumstance I get between 27-29, I would like to know if I would still have a solid shot or if I would need to retake for sure. Thanks for the feedback!!![/quote]