3.4 GPA and 16P MCATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweettea247

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm URM with a 3.4 GPA and I have a 16 MCAT. I'm retaking the mcat in September. I wanted to know my chances of getting into a podiatry school. Primarily Barry podiatry school. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

That is an unusually low MCAT. What was the breakdown of the scores?

If you retake and pull a 20+ you will be competitive for just about all of the programs.

Last edited:
Hi I'm URM with a 3.4 GPA and I have a 16 MCAT. I'm retaking the mcat in September. I wanted to know my chances of getting into a podiatry school. Primarily Barry podiatry school. Thank you!!
Not really sure about Barry specifically. I know some schools have a minimum of 18. OCPM is a min of 22. CSPM has a minimum of 16.

Take the things again just to be sure. I mean whats worse... spending a few months and a few hundred $ to take the MCAT again to ensure you get in or getting rejected and having to wait a whole nother cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that have read my previous posts, you know how i feel about the MCAT predicting success in professional school; however, a 16 would be a stretch. You will definitely need to retake your MCAT. I do believe that you have a better chance in raising you MCAT score from a 16 to a 20 than from a 26 to a 30, but you are going to have to dive into this head first. Good luck to you.

That is an unusually low MCAT. What was the breakdown of the scores?

If you retake and pull a 20+ you will be competitive for just about all of the programs.

5V 6P 5B

If I decided to apply this cycle, when will be the final deadline to still be competitive, considering I won't receive my scores until October?

Wow, I am not attempting to make anyone feel bad, but the schools really need to tighten up their standards if they ever expect the profession to obtain and maintain respect. If you are accepting students with scores of 16 on the MCATs, why bother even asking for scores?

In MY opinion this may be why students are having a problem passing the boards after being accepted and going through the classes, etc.

My son's friend who is bright, but not setting the world on fire is applying to medical school. His latest score was a 32 and he's HOPING that may get him in. Once again, he is bright, but no genius, so I'm scared to think about those getting a 16 AND getting into one of the DPM schools.

Sorry, there has to be some standards. And yes, there is validity and credibility to the MCAT.

Last edited:

You have absolutely no chance of getting in Barry with that hideous MCAT score. please save your money and don't apply. I would also suggest retaking the mcat. Best of luck.

Although hematosis's post was super rude, he does have a point. I would wait until you take the exam again and get a much better score before spending money on applying now. Chances are, with a 16 on the MCAT, you will not get in at any school regardless of how early you apply.

I am a pre pod applying next cycle and as such have been contacting schools probing for info. You will not get into any school I've been looking at with a 16. I agree with the above poster that you will b wasting your money by applying right now. Classes don't fill up until the spring, I would keep that in mind. If you choose to apply I would simply expect the worst and hope for the best; but I would not have high hopes at all.
You may have not spent enough time with the mcat beast. Sorry but a 16 is no bueno. You will get no scholarship money and if you do it will be slim. Keep that in mind because time necessary for be successful in medical school is, from what I hear, tremendous. If you cannot spend a few months rigorously studying for competative enterance how can you expect to be sucessful the four years you're in school? Too many people fail out as it is.
I am not one to ever talk people out of their dreams, especially if we have the same goal in common. I would just say get serious now and start by getting that mcat up!
P.s Barry is my top choice as well. Their admissions told me minimum mcat is 20. Youre well over their gpa req of 3.0. You can get that 20 if you want it bad enough.

Last edited:
I am a pre pod applying next cycle and as such have been contacting schools probing for info. You will not get into any school I've been looking at with a 16. I agree with the above poster that you will b wasting your money by applying right now. Classes don't fill up until the spring, I would keep that in mind. If you choose to apply I would simply expect the worst and hope for the best; but I would not have high hopes at all.
You may have not spent enough time with the mcat beast. Sorry but a 16 is no bueno. You will get no scholarship money and if you do it will be slim. Keep that in mind because time necessary for be successful in medical school is, from what I hear, tremendous. If you cannot spend a few months rigorously studying for competative enterance how can you expect to be sucessful the four years you're in school? Too many people fail out as it is.
I am not one to ever talk people out of their dreams, especially if we have the same goal in common. I would just say get serious now and start by getting that mcat up!
P.s Barry is my top choice as well. Their admissions told me minimum mcat is 20. Youre well over their gpa req of 3.0. You can get that 20 if you want it bad enough.

I know this isn't a grammar website, but my goal is simply to make a point. I know that when you post on this site you write quickly, etc., but when you submit any paperwork with your application or submit a personal statement, PLEASE use spell-check. You only get to make one first impression with an admission officer.

Ok, thank you!!! :)

You have to trust the websites. If a school says 16 is the min, that means that you can go there as long as you apply early enogh. I suggest calling or emailing the schools to get a vibe. You can tell over the phone rather or not to apply. I was in a simila sit last cycle with my 19. Some post on here said that Barry's min was like a 15. That sounds low to me but who knows. Call and ask the schools you are interested in. Make sure you apply to CSPM early since I know their website says min of 16. I can not think of another program that sets the min mcat score <18. I think temple is 18 or 19. Anywho, just call. If CSPM is a okay fit for you, I feel your chances are higher there with your applicant stats than anywhere else.

You have to trust the websites. If a school says 16 is the min, that means that you can go there as long as you apply early enogh. I suggest calling or emailing the schools to get a vibe. You can tell over the phone rather or not to apply. I was in a simila sit last cycle with my 19. Some post on here said that Barry's min was like a 15. That sounds low to me but who knows. Call and ask the schools you are interested in. Make sure you apply to CSPM early since I know their website says min of 16. I can not think of another program that sets the min mcat score <18. I think temple is 18 or 19. Anywho, just call. If CSPM is a okay fit for you, I feel your chances are higher there with your applicant stats than anywhere else.

When you mean early, do you mean when I get my new scores in October? I'm trying to figure out exactly when it would be too late to apply this cycle. Lets say my MCAT improves by a couple of points, which it probably will considering I have been getting scores between 18-28 on the AAMC practice tests. I have really bad test anxiety and gotten little sleep the night before which is the reason for the poor mcat score. Is December too late to still apply for this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you mean early, do you mean when I get my new scores in October? I'm trying to figure out exactly when it would be too late to apply this cycle. Lets say my MCAT improves by a couple of points, which it probably will considering I have been getting scores between 18-28 on the AAMC practice tests. I have really bad test anxiety and gotten little sleep the night before which is the reason for the poor mcat score. Is December too late to still apply for this year?

You should have applied like 2 weeks ago. Apply now with the 16.

Seriously??? 16??? You are in the 8th percentile.Just posting here is an insult DON'T EVEN APPLY. You don't even have a shot at an interview. Shame on any school for even thinking of accepting a student with a 16 MCAT and then kicking him/her because of a poor performance.

Seriously??? 16??? You are in the 8th percentile.Just posting here is an insult DON'T EVEN APPLY. You don't even have a shot at an interview. Shame on any school for even thinking of accepting a student with a 16 MCAT and then kicking him/her because of a poor performance.

Please take you personal bias out of the equation and answer the question.

Excellent post :thumbup:

I've said it before and i'll say it again, not everyone in this world is special and deserves to be a physician. Prove to us and to yourself that you're qualified by increasing your MCAT score.

There are nicer ways to say the same thing. Try to be kinder to a potential future colleague next time, please. This is an open forum, so posting this relevant question here is not an insult.

I think with a 3.4 GPA, the OP has shown he can excel in a school environment. It's possible he had a bad day on MCAT day. I suggest retaking the MCAT and seeing how he fairs. If he doesn't do well again, then it might be time to re-evaluate his potential career choice.

Excellent post :thumbup:

I've said it before and i'll say it again, not everyone in this world is special and deserves to be a physician. Prove to us and to yourself that you're qualified by increasing your MCAT score.

Fiveo,

posts like this have no place in this forum. Who are we to cast judgement on others. School set min requirements. If you are within the range and a school accepts you, the school must feel good that you can susceed. Comments like thses are spearheaded by people trying to compare Pod application stats to DO/MD students. Stop it. It is not our place. Who are you to have someone prove something to. The OP needs to just hit the apply button and only worry about proving things to him/herself, not some one called fiveovicryl.

Please take you personal bias out of the equation and answer the question.

For someone who scored a 19 MCAT :eek:, ckjets comments must have hit pretty close to home. I suggest you take your OWN advice and leave that bias out the equation.

ckjets comments along with my own are in fact warranted. Harsh as they may be, we offered solid advice to the OP that clearly states either retake the MCAT or don't bother applying.

For someone who scored a 19 MCAT :eek:, ckjets comments must have hit pretty close to home. I suggest you take your OWN advice and leave that bias out the equation.

ckjets comments along with my own are in fact warranted. Harsh as they may be, we offered solid advice to the OP that clearly states either retake the MCAT or don't bother applying.

I see what you are up to. I will take the high road since I have nothing to prove to you. Wait, I can not resist. See, I DID get a 19.....Then a 26. I Did get into every single school I applied to...even a big 4 caribbean medical school (Ross) Ow...did I mention I got a pretty nice scholarship from my pod school too.... Have you been accepted anywhere yet? I start school next week. Wow....where is my bias??? Should I say everyone (most pod school appicants) are inferior to me since I scored a 26 and the pod ave is like 22? No. I give advise to encourage, not debase a future colleague. Here is some advice kid, give advice in a respectful manner or shut your mouth and continue to read posts!

PS: I got into all programs I appied to with the 19 except OCPM, which gave me a cond acceptance, which quickly became a accptance and scholarship post the new score.

Last edited:

I think eventually having atleast a twenty four MCAT will be subpar one day for podiatric schools.. one day..

Im curious, for those with less than twenty four, are there any particular reasons why you scored what you scored. Was it lack of prep materials or time or something

I see what you are up to. I will take the high road since I have nothing to prove to you. Wait, I can not resist. See, I DID get a 19.....Then a 26. I Did get into every single school I applied to...even a big 4 caribbean medical school (Ross) Ow...did I mention I got a pretty nice scholarship from my pod school too.... Have you been accepted anywhere yet? I start school next week. Wow....where is my bias??? Should I say everyone (most pod school appicants) are inferior to me since I scored a 26 and the pod ave is like 22? No. I give advise to encourage, not debase a future colleague. Here is some advice kid, give advice in a respectful manner or shut your mouth and continue to read posts!

PS: I got into all programs I appied to with the 19 except OCPM, which gave me a cond acceptance, which quickly became a accptance and scholarship post the new score.

Congratulations, you are a wonderful example of our FAILED admissions standards. I will enlighten you as what adcoms were thinking towards your acceptance, just in case you thought "yay, with a 19 MCAT I'm so smart." They know that a 19 MCAT will likely struggle or possibly fail out of the program but as long as we get his money, we'll take him. So yes you are "special" because you can either take out loans or have the money in your bank account to pay tuition. Best of luck in school "kid" as you have at least a couple years before you catch up to where I am right now. Who knows, maybe with tremendous luck, you may even reach my class ranking (although I highly doubt it).

Last edited:

You start next week? Ugh.. we've already had our first Biochem test! ><

Back on subject, here is some real advice. Do not apply with a sixteen. Retake the test, score much higher, then apply. No it will not be too late, you could apply in January or February and it would not be too late. Good luck.

Please keep all comments personable and professional. We are all friends here.

Back on subject, here is some real advice. Do not apply with a sixteen. Retake the test, score much higher, then apply. No it will not be too late, you could apply in January or February and it would not be too late. Good luck.

Great advice but I slightly disagre. I think it is better to apply and retake the mcat later. Schools will at least get the info before later. JMO

Congratulations, you are a wonderful example of our FAILED admissions standards. I will enlighten you as what adcoms were thinking towards your acceptance, just in case you thought "yay, with a 19 MCAT I'm so smart." They know that a 19 MCAT will likely struggle or possibly fail out of the program but as long as we get his money, we'll take him. So yes you are "special" because you can either take out loans or have the money in your bank account to pay tuition. Best of luck in school "kid" as you have at least a couple years before you catch up to where I am right now. Who knows, maybe with tremendous luck, you may even reach my class ranking (although I highly doubt it).

Wow, congrats on getting in a few yrs ago when the mcat ave was much lower than it is today. I surely do feel special with all my nice scholarship money rolling i shortly. So you did not have to take out any loans? I truly am amazed by this. You need t post real helpful info on here about how you are in school w/o loans. I doubt I need luck to surpass a snail like you. I really hope you are at my school and have the stones to say this in a real convo. PS, I will be impossible to miss in my class, just in case you go to CSPM.

Wow, congrats on getting in a few yrs ago when the mcat ave was much lower than it is today. I surely do feel special with all my nice scholarship money rolling i shortly. So you did not have to take out any loans? I truly am amazed by this. You need t post real helpful info on here about how you are in school w/o loans. I doubt I need luck to surpass a snail like you. I really hope you are at my school and have the stones to say this in a real convo. PS, I will be impossible to miss in my class, just in case you go to CSPM.

LOL Regardless of what the standards were few years ago, it doesn't change the fact that I nearly doubled your amazing 19 MCAT. Should we compare GPAs? Yeah, I didn't think so.

When have I ever said I didn't take out loans? Reading comprehension must not be one of those strengths you seem so confident will get you through pod school.

I most definitely have no problems in saying what I post on SDN in person, especially to an underclassmen like yourself. Hopefully someday our paths may cross and you can test this directly. However, seeing how easily you FAIL at something as simple as reading, chances are you wont even make it through pod school or residency and we never meet. This will truely be a sad day for the both of us as well as the profession :rolleyes:

RATM2010 said:
Wow, congrats on getting in a few yrs ago when the mcat ave was much lower than it is today.

First off, please spend 2 minutes doing some research before you say something that isn't true. MCAT avgs haven't changed in the last 4 years... http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/MatrStats/Matriculant_MCAT.pdf

Second, to the OP, Barry is one of a couple schools who have tightened up admission standards. There's a new sheriff in town and that school is no longer a program that will accept students just to fill seats. Your 16 MCAT is not going to get you in. Because of this, it would be a better idea to take the September MCAT, get your scores back and then apply assuming you actually prepared this time around and score higher.

If you apply now you will most likely be wasting a lot of $$ on the app and possibly an interview or two (don't put it past a Pod school to invite you for an interview knowing full well they are only going to offer a conditional acceptance). I say this only because MOST people do not improve their MCAT score by more than 1-2 points. Much like in a casino, I play the odds, side bets are for people who want to lose all of their money. If you do score at least 4 points higher (I'm embarrassed to say) then you can apply in late Sep and still be applying earlier than a majority of your peers...

If you do apply now and I am wrong, then congrats, you are one of the few who played the Big 6 or 8 for even money at the craps table and won...

Last edited:
LOL Regardless of what the standards were few years ago, it doesn't change the fact that I nearly doubled your amazing 19 MCAT. Should we compare GPAs? Yeah, I didn't think so.

When have I ever said I didn't take out loans? Reading comprehension must not be one of those strengths you seem so confident will get you through pod school.

I most definitely have no problems in saying what I post on SDN in person, especially to an underclassmen like yourself. Hopefully someday our paths may cross and you can test this directly. However, seeing how easily you FAIL at something as simple as reading, chances are you wont even make it through pod school or residency and we never meet. This will truely be a sad day for the both of us as well as the profession :rolleyes:

LOL, what a joke you are and I know for a fact that you would not run your trap to my face. This post is no longer informative. Consider this my last post on this topic. OP, apply!!!!

LOL, what a joke you are and I know for a fact that you would not run your trap to my face. This post is no longer informative. Consider this my last post on this topic. OP, apply!!!!

LOL what could you possibly do, attack me? :rolleyes: Say farewell to your BLEAK future and hello to certain jail time.

You think people will interact with you in a different manner soley based on your appearance? It's time to wake up and join the real world, especially the world of medicine. You're the lowest rung on the ladder, just wait and see what kind of treatment you'll recieve by some attendings, residents, and upperclassmen.

First off, please spend 2 minutes doing some research before you say something that isn't true. MCAT avgs haven't changed in the last 4 years... http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/MatrStats/Matriculant_MCAT.pdf

Second, to the OP, Barry is one of a couple schools who have tightened up admission standards. There's a new sheriff in town and that school is no longer a program that will accept students just to fill seats. Your 16 MCAT is not going to get you in. Because of this, it would be a better idea to take the September MCAT, get your scores back and then apply assuming you actually prepared this time around and score higher.

If you apply now you will most likely be wasting a lot of $$ on the app and possibly an interview or two (don't put it past a Pod school to invite you for an interview knowing full well they are only going to offer a conditional acceptance). I say this only because MOST people do not improve their MCAT score by more than 1-2 points. Much like in a casino, I play the odds, side bets are for people who want to lose all of their money. If you do score at least 4 points higher (I'm embarrassed to say) then you can apply in late Sep and still be applying earlier than a majority of your peers...

If you do apply now and I am wrong, then congrats, you are one of the few who played the Big 6 or 8 for even money at the craps table and won...

Wow MCAT is low... A single section isnt even eight for MARTICULANT group but ya pretty steady the last few years... But this could work out for me since international (canada) students have a harder time marticulating, hehe

I once won 125 dollars on 6 and 8 once. i am very proud of this accomplishment.

There is a difference between the Big 6/8 bet and a straight 6/8...the former isn't even a play on many craps tables because of the horrendous odds. But if you did, then you should have walked straight to the roulette wheel and put all your winnings on 00

Welcome to Podaitry

Its weird that podiatry doesn't have a more competitive applicant pool, especially since it has desirable compensation, surgery, and is a 'rising field' which has changed so much in the past years.

But just like the DDS/DMD and the DO degree, it's going to be DPMs turn to have the exponential J shaped rise over the next decade or two. :cool: So get in while you can :laugh:

There is a difference between the Big 6/8 bet and a straight 6/8...the former isn't even a play on many craps tables because of the horrendous odds. But if you did, then you should have walked straight to the roulette wheel and put all your winnings on 00

yea i was just being sarcastic. I won that 125 after i had lost about 300. the 6/8 bet is foolish.

Just wanted to post a story out there about standardized exams...

I was sitting at a local starbucks a few weeks ago when i ran into a few successful dentist who graduated from USC in the early 1980's. They both explained to me that USC struggled to fill up there classes at that time along with other dental schools and were taking students with 15 and 16's on their DAT.

Point being, these Dentist made it all the way and happen to be very success Dentist. Scoring a 16 on your MCAT is NOT going to determine whether or not you will become a successful Podiatrist or not. So many present doctors have made it through med, dental, and POD school with low standardized exam grades.

With that being said, in today's day and age, it is way more successful to get into a program, therefore higher standards are usually expected from students. I would retake the exam for that purpose. Also remember that you will spending the next 4 years in a specific school. It might be worth it for you to study for the exam for a couple of months so you could spend the next four years at the school that will make you the most happy.

Best of luck...

Scoring a 16 on your MCAT is NOT going to determine whether or not you will become a successful Podiatrist or not.

I agree with your statement, HOWEVER scoring well on the MCAT is the first step towards that success and gets your foot in the door (pun definitely intended). What's the old saying "Every journey begins with the first step"?

Just wanted to post a story out there about standardized exams...

I was sitting at a local starbucks a few weeks ago when i ran into a few successful dentist who graduated from USC in the early 1980's. They both explained to me that USC struggled to fill up there classes at that time along with other dental schools and were taking students with 15 and 16's on their DAT.

Point being, these Dentist made it all the way and happen to be very success Dentist. Scoring a 16 on your MCAT is NOT going to determine whether or not you will become a successful Podiatrist or not. So many present doctors have made it through med, dental, and POD school with low standardized exam grades.

With that being said, in today's day and age, it is way more successful to get into a program, therefore higher standards are usually expected from students. I would retake the exam for that purpose. Also remember that you will spending the next 4 years in a specific school. It might be worth it for you to study for the exam for a couple of months so you could spend the next four years at the school that will make you the most happy.

Best of luck...

There is a reason why the MCAT exists and is used by virtually all the MD/DO/DPM schools. How well you perform on your MCAT has a direct correlation with how well you do on boards. Based on my experience, if you cant even handle an exam as BASIC as the MCAT, you have no chance with boards. Excuses such as test anxiety and what not have no relevance as they will surely reappear when an individual fails boards.

Excuses such as test anxiety and what not have no relevance as they will surely reappear when an individual fails boards.

If undiagnosed and no coping mechanisms taught, "test anxiety" can be a serious hurdle even for the brightest students. I have a serious case of it, but was taught tricks to overcome it, and never failed a board exam, ever. It IS out there and is extremely relevant.

If undiagnosed and no coping mechanisms taught, "test anxiety" can be a serious hurdle even for the brightest students. I have a serious case of it, but was taught tricks to overcome it, and never failed a board exam, ever. It IS out there and is extremely relevant.

If you can overcome your test anxiety, you do not have a problem. So yes, you fall into the same category as everyone else.

Last edited:
If you can overcome your test anxiety, you do not have a problem. So yes, you fall into the same category as everyone else.
That's like saying people who overcome a serious addiction don't have a problem anymore. They are NOT like everyone else. No, I'm not kidding.

That's like saying people who overcome a serious addiction don't have a problem anymore. They are NOT like everyone else. No, I'm not kidding.

Might I suggest you review the meaning of the word "overcome." If you overcome your addiction then you DO NOT have a problem.

Allow me to elaborate futher. At one point during our lives, the majority of people had jitters or nerves when it came to time to take a test. We found a way to deal with this problem and no longer have an issue (pass our exams). Kidsfeet, it seems like you have found a way to deal with your anxiety as well (seeing how you've never failed a board examination). What makes you so DIFFERENT from the rest of us? Nothing. If you are failing or struggling on these exams, then congratulations, you are different.

Last edited:
Might I suggest you review the meaning of the word "overcome." If you overcome your addiction then you DO NOT have a problem.

Really? So if you have a patient who HAD a Vicodin addiction and overcame it, you feel pretty good about prescribing Vicodin to that patient for post op pain control?

Really? So if you have a patient who HAD a Vicodin addiction and overcame it, you feel pretty good about prescribing Vicodin to that patient for post op pain control?

Seeing as how you did not look up the word overcome, I will explain it to you in your desired analogy format. If my patient overcame his addition of Vicodin he would NOT abuse the drug even with an ample supply within his possession. If he was tempted and abused Vicodin, then NO he DID NOT overcome his addiction, he would simply be coping with an addiction. So to answer your question, YES I would have no trouble prescribing a drug to a patient who OVERCAME his addition.