3.4; 23; 4-5 mos vol, no research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temeraire03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a good feeling I'm pretty screwed at this point.

My cum GPA is 3.4, my science gpa is about 3.1 or 3.2, I've done 4-5 months total of shadowing an MD and volunteering at a hospital. I have no research experience. I'm consistently scoring in the low 20s in the practice MCATs I'm taking (I haven't been studying for too long).

Do you have any suggestions? Would I even get into a DO school? And should I wait until next year to apply when I can get some research experience/more volunteering/more studying for the MCAT?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

My cum GPA is 3.4, my science gpa is about 3.1 or 3.2, I've done 4-5 months total of shadowing an MD and volunteering at a hospital. I have no research experience. I'm consistently scoring in the low 20s in the practice MCATs I'm taking (I haven't been studying for too long).

Do you have any suggestions? Would I even get into a DO school? And should I wait until next year to apply when I can get some research experience/more volunteering/more studying for the MCAT?

Thank you!

Do you have any other volunteer work or experiences working with people? Any unique aspects to your resume?

I would study A LOT for the MCAT. See if you can't bring it up into the 30's, and then maybe you'll be able to swing DO.

Are you set on applying this cycle? It might be best to take this year to beef up your application (that'll buy you some more time to study as well).

Your GPA is below average for accepted MD students however it is within the range of accepted DO students. Scoring low on the MCAT would imply a ~22 or so which would be below average for DO schools and exclude you from MD schools.

IMO, your focus should be on the MCAT and trying to score 27+ for DO schools. Also remember that most DO schools utilize grade replacement so repeating a course you did very poorly in can be very beneficial. I am not sure but I believe DO schools also require a letter of rec. from a DO physician so that is something to consider.

Good luck!

GPA is OK for my school, but your MCAT is at the bottom of barely acceptable, and I'm afraid that even if the AdCom likes you, our Dean would wait-list you. If you only have 4-5 months of patient contact, you'd definitely get wait-listed here. You do need to show us your altruistic side. On the whole, I think you'll get a few interviews.

Thank you!