3.3cgpa, 3.07 amcas sgpa, 3.15sgpa aacomas, 508MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc333999

Reaction score
3.3cgpa, 3.07 acmas sgpa, 3.15sgpa aacomas, 508MCAT

Open to both MD and DO

Background info:

ORM, first one in family trying to pursue medicine.

Struggled during CC and at UCSD, got my stuff together my senior and super senior year taking upper division courses (3.7cgpa / 3.6sgpa combining both senior year's efforts, compared to literal 3.0 gpa's fresh-junior year). MCAT (130/123/129/126, bombed CARS..). Upward trend exists, but I think it isn't enough to justify my poor gpa's and average MCAT score.

EC info:

Whole bunch of EC's ranging from clinical, shadowing, scribing, 4 poster presentations, community service, president of club, treasurer of another club, etc. volunteered at a free clinic as a scribe for over 300 hours, have been conducting service work for the less fortunate for years, all these EC's add over 1000 hours in terms of experience.

Currently:

Every weekend I volunteer for four hours at a hospital helping patients (since 2019). Took some time off due to COVID, but I still have a couple hundred hours in the clinical experience vault. Additionally, I have been working full time as a chemist for the past three years in San Diego. My job provides me stability living in an area with a high cost of living. However, I am considering quitting my job and working somewhere in the medical field (scribing/EMT/medical assistant.. will touch upon that).

This may be laughable, but I am applying this cycle to all low tier schools. However, I am also going to apply to SMP/Post-Bacc programs in the case I get rejected from all schools. I am also considering to retake my MCAT. As stated above, I may quit my job as a chemist and take a literal 50-60% pay-cut to work in a medically related field to make my application better if I have to re-apply next cycle. As of now, I feel like I am a very below average applicant and time is not on my side.

Final Question:

SMP + quit job + retake MCAT?

DIY post-bacc + keep job?

DIY post-bacc + keep job + retake MCAT?

Any other route I am not considering?

I appreciate your time reading this lengthy post,

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for the majority of DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
NYIT-AR
ACOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
Noorda-COM
You could try these MD schools:
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
A DIY post bacc in the coming with undergraduate level science courses is a good strategy if you need to reapply.

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for the majority of DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
NYIT-AR
ACOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
Noorda-COM
You could try these MD schools:
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
A DIY post bacc in the coming with undergraduate level science courses is a good strategy if you need to reapply.
Wow. Thank you so much!

Last edited: