3.33 Berkeley Engineering and Econ feeling behind in the game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uphillBattle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I just joined here after reading some of the threads and I'm hoping I can get some advice.

Basically those are my stats in the subject line. Sophomore year I dicked around and that really showed. Upward trend in gpa starting Junior year.

Volunteer: Homeless Shelter for 2+ years. Looking to volunteer in a hospital next year
Research: Bioengineering (Pretty famous lab for Biomechanics) for 1+ years. Analysis and experimentation. Worked on an independent project.
Leadership: President of a club and VP of another club. 2 years
Work experience: 2 summers worth of internship experiences
Extracurricular: Film-making (I've made shorts and they're online)
Long term: Have an engineering job lined up for next Spring. Don't plan on going to med for at least two more years.

What sort of score should I aim for on my mcat to have at least a slight chance of getting into med? Also, Berkeley has something called Extension classes. I'm considering taking those even though they don't add to my undergrad gpa.

The process seems pretty daunting since I know that I am facing significant competition from much better candidates. Is it even worth going to med if I don't get into a somewhat decent school?

You guys are awesome and I really hope to learn from some of the more experienced SDNers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

I just joined here after reading some of the threads and I'm hoping I can get some advice.

Basically those are my stats in the subject line. Sophomore year I dicked around and that really showed. Upward trend in gpa starting Junior year. Sounds like me, except I dicked around Freshman year too :)

Volunteer: Homeless Shelter for 2+ years. Looking to volunteer in a hospital next year
Research: Bioengineering (Pretty famous lab for Biomechanics) for 1+ years. Analysis and experimentation. Worked on an independent project.
Leadership: President of a club and VP of another club. 2 years
Work experience: 2 summers worth of internship experiences
Extracurricular: Film-making (I've made shorts and they're online)
Long term: Have an engineering job lined up for next Spring. Don't plan on going to med for at least two more years.

Were any of the above in a medical setting?

What sort of score should I aim for on my mcat to have at least a slight chance of getting into med? Also, Berkeley has something called Extension classes. I'm considering taking those even though they don't add to my undergrad gpa.

If you're interested only in MD, you'll probably need a 33+. 30 would probably be good enough for DO. Will you get grades for those "Extension" classes? As in, A-F instead of Pass/Fail? If yes, they won't show on your undergrad GPA, but they will be considered as post-bacc classes and will be calculated into your AMCAS/AACOMAS GPA. Also, have you completed all of the pre-med course requirements?

The process seems pretty daunting since I know that I am facing significant competition from much better candidates. Is it even worth going to med if I don't get into a somewhat decent school?

If all you care about is being a physician, then it doesn't matter where your med school diploma comes from (as long as it's a US school). If you care about the prestige of going to certain schools, you have a long way to go with your GPA.

You guys are awesome and I really hope to learn from some of the more experienced SDNers.

Good luck!

1) What sort of score should I aim for on my mcat to have at least a slight chance of getting into med?

2) Is it even worth going to med if I don't get into a somewhat decent school?
1) See sector9's stickied thread at the top of the WAMC form for graphical representations of historical data on application outcomes for various GPA and MCAT combinations for each race. Keep in mind that this data includes those with special circumstances: SMPers, veterans, Peace Corps volunteers, etc.

2) All US med schools are accredited and provide a similar education. When it comes down to it, you are responsible for learning the same material wherever you go. Different schools have various approaches to doing this (traditional subject lectures, systems-based approach, Problem-Based Learning with few lectures, etc.), but all are successful, and overall if you get into any med school, MD or DO, you have a high chance of eventually graduating and matching into a residency. You can get into an excellent residency program from any school if your Step scores are sufficiently competitive, you have strong LORs and clerkship evaluations, and do research if aiming for the most selective residencies.

Other than a lack of clinical experience and physician shadowing, your ECs are looking good. I suggest continuing with nonmedical community service, perhaps taking on a leadership or teaching role there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback guys!

In response to an earlier question, none of these are strictly med school related which is what I'm hoping to change. May start volunteering after work at a hospital in a year or so.

My transcript basically shows not-so-hot lower div performance. Raising my GPA came from upper div engineering and econ courses which were way more interesting to me.

Just thought I'd update you two with my MCAT score. I received a 34S (13 PS, 11 V, 10 BS).

I'm currently taking an immunology course while working full time. I'm working on applications for hospital volunteering and plan on taking at least 3 to 4 more classes.

Thanks for helping me out and posting on this thread when no one else did.