3.31 GPA, 507 MCAT, Continue with DO app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etan19197

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, just got my mcat back and I scored a 507. I was averaging a 512 on my practice exams and truly believe I was tested over some key weaknesses on my exam. Pretty upset about it all and confused on what I should do. I’m also a white male, below average SES, first gen college student.

cGPA: 3.31

sGPA: 3.19

Recently graduated with degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Due to my low gpa, I’ve been shooting for DO schools and my goal mcat was a 510 in hopes of relieving my bad gpa but that didn’t happen. I have decent ECs: former D2 athlete, 150 hours clinical volunteering, good LoRs although not one from a DO, and currently work full time in a chemical research lab for a large company and worked at a hospital (non healthcare) for a year while in college.

Do I still have a chance for DO this cycle? I’ve already submitted and been verified with 1 school. I am confident that I can score 512+ on the Mcat although I am out of time for this cycle and would prefer to not go through the studying again unless I need to. I appreciate all the advice I can get. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your 507 is good enough for DO, and I think it'll help offset your GPAs. I know it's not as good as you hoped, but it's still a good score nonetheless. I think you're fine to continue with your app. Do you have any shadowing though?

Reactions: 1 user
Your 507 is good enough for DO, and I think it'll help offset your GPAs. I know it's not as good as you hoped, but it's still a good score nonetheless. I think you're fine to continue with your app. Do you have any shadowing though?
I do not have any shadowing experience although I sat in on multiple procedures as a volunteer. I originally planned on shadowing after my mcat but I’m working full time and it’s hard to find a place to shadow on the weekends near me. I’ve cold called some urgent cares but had no luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine. Your app sounds good to go for most DO schools. Apply semi-broadly.

Your MCAT is good for most DO schools and it will compensate for your gpa. Apply asap and you will get in somewhere.

Long story short, just got my mcat back and I scored a 507. I was averaging a 512 on my practice exams and truly believe I was tested over some key weaknesses on my exam. Pretty upset about it all and confused on what I should do. I’m also a white male, below average SES, first gen college student.

cGPA: 3.31

sGPA: 3.19

Recently graduated with degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Due to my low gpa, I’ve been shooting for DO schools and my goal mcat was a 510 in hopes of relieving my bad gpa but that didn’t happen. I have decent ECs: former D2 athlete, 150 hours clinical volunteering, good LoRs although not one from a DO, and currently work full time in a chemical research lab for a large company and worked at a hospital (non healthcare) for a year while in college.

Do I still have a chance for DO this cycle? I’ve already submitted and been verified with 1 school. I am confident that I can score 512+ on the Mcat although I am out of time for this cycle and would prefer to not go through the studying again unless I need to. I appreciate all the advice I can get. Thanks!
You're fine for DO. Apply broadly.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 1 users
You're fine for DO. Apply broadly.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
I actually graduated from MSU so I know all about that.. thank you for the advice, seeing that from you made me feel a lot better about not doing that well on my MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
I do not have any shadowing experience although I sat in on multiple procedures as a volunteer. I originally planned on shadowing after my mcat but I’m working full time and it’s hard to find a place to shadow on the weekends near me. I’ve cold called some urgent cares but had no luck.

You must have shadowing experience and LOR from DO DR.