DO 3.26cGPA/3.2sGPA/510MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

verrager

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated in Spring 2017 with BS in Microbiology
cGPA 3.26
sGPA 3.2
MCAT 510
HCE: 1000hr as an EMT
1 Year undergrad research with a publication
LOR: 2 from DO, 1 from research professor, 1 from MD, 1 from A&P professor. All are very strong letters, long standing with each letter writer.

I'm planning to apply to several low-mid tier DO schools, but I have a friend strongly suggesting me to try low tier MD due to my LOR, HCE, and MCAT. I told him it's truly a waste of money but he keeps pressing. In my point of view my GPA is simply to low to get an interview at MD. Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be worth applying to your Florida MD schools (except Miami). Include NOVA MD. Although your GPA is below the 10th percentile for all Florida schools you do have a good MCAT score.

It would be worth applying to your Florida MD schools (except Miami). Include NOVA MD. Although your GPA is below the 10th percentile for all Florida schools you do have a good MCAT score.
I appreciate your input, I'll look into nova

It comes out I got a 517. What MD schools should I apply to now?

Apply to all of your Florida schools (except Miami). You could try any of these OOS schools also:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Also include several DO schools including your Florida schools.

Apply to all of your Florida schools (except Miami). You could try any of these OOS schools also:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Also include several DO schools including your Florida schools.
USF has an average of 516 for their MCAT though, wouldn't it be a waste to apply there?

You mentioned nothing in your post about having any non-clinical volunteering - which is important if you are applying this coming cycle.