3.19 oGPA/3.28sGPA/3.38 BCP. Chances? How should I aim for the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BatedPenguin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have a 3.19 oGPA, 3.28 sGPA, and a 3.38 BCP GPA on my transcript when I apply for dental school this summer. My gpa is lackluster thanks to a lot of Cs that I accumulated in high school where I took a large amount of dual credit classes before I had really matured. I also had a rough freshmen year along with this.

However, I have had a strong upward incline with my GPA. For example my last 3 semesters I have gone from a 3.54 to a 3.78 to a 3.89.

I plan to do my absolute best on the DAT as well and aim for the highest score possible as I don't feel my GPA is as competitive as it should be. Would you guys say I need a 23+ AA on the DAT to be competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you aim for 22+, write a great personal statement, solid shadowing hours, extracurriculars, and leadership experience you should have a good shot!

Members don't see this ad :)
22+ should be your goal. The upward trend will help, also consider taking some post-bacc classes to give your gpa a boost by the time the December academic update becomes available.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

most important are sGPA and BCP, which are both roughly equal in importance. oGPA is less important.
That is interesting to hear, is there any way you can confirm why that is the case? Given your status of actually being in dental school I would take your word over a random person trawling these boards

I will have a 3.19 oGPA, 3.28 sGPA, and a 3.38 BCP GPA on my transcript when I apply for dental school this summer. My gpa is lackluster thanks to a lot of Cs that I accumulated in high school where I took a large amount of dual credit classes before I had really matured. I also had a rough freshmen year along with this.

However, I have had a strong upward incline with my GPA. For example my last 3 semesters I have gone from a 3.54 to a 3.78 to a 3.89.

I plan to do my absolute best on the DAT as well and aim for the highest score possible as I don't feel my GPA is as competitive as it should be. Would you guys say I need a 23+ AA on the DAT to be competitive?
Also, don't limit yourself, OP. You should aim for a 30! Do your absolute best. Best of luck to you.

The upward trend does help. Do well on the DAT, have strong ECs, personal statement, and obtain good letters of reccomendation and you should get some bites. I received several interviews with lower stats and with a 20 AA on the DAT, but that was my second time applying.

Same stats but a higher cGPA I would say apply EARLY and to many schools should be fine.

The upward trend does help. Do well on the DAT, have strong ECs, personal statement, and obtain good letters of reccomendation and you should get some bites. I received several interviews with lower stats and with a 20 AA on the DAT, but that was my second time applying.
Did you continue with classes in between your first and second application cycle or just resubmitted with the same stats? What about applying to schools did you do differently, such as more broadly the second time or another strategy? Thanks

I was in a similar boat. I lost my dad in sophomore year and grades plummeted from emotional issues and because I had to switch to full time job. But I also had an upward trend oGPA ~3.3 and my senior year was ~3.9. For DAT I agree 22+ TS and AA which is what I got. You need a phenomenal personal statement. Use your upward trend to highlight your ability to overcome obstacles and failures. This will guarantee an interview. I only applied to 2 schools b/c of being broke and needing to stay in state and I was interviewed at both. And now I’m going to be a dentist! So you can do this!!!! Don’t compare yourself to others too much and best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Did you continue with classes in between your first and second application cycle or just resubmitted with the same stats? What about applying to schools did you do differently, such as more broadly the second time or another strategy? Thanks
I applied more broadly and I continued with classes in between.

I had very similar stats, got a 20 on the DAT, and I got into some good schools. They really do take the holistic review seriously. Write a good personal statement and have good EC's and you'll be fine. (Oh, and apply early!) Some schools only look at your last two years of school when considering GPA and all schools love upward trends.