3.1 cGPA, I want to apply to DO in 2022, what do I do from now until 2022?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachapple10

Reaction score
- I just finished undergrad at UCSB with a degree in biopsych

- I have a 3.1 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA

- No research experience, no volunteering, absolutely nothing

- I have great options for letters of rec so at least I have one thing covered lol

My current plan is to go to my local community college and retake some classes that I bombed. For example I got a C in calc 1 and statistics, which is just embarrassing and I can easily bump those to A's. I'd probably take a few other classes that I got B's in and get those to A's, as well as a few additional classes I never took like anatomy, physiology and maybe microbiology.

I feel like so far this is a terrible plan and I can do a lot better. I'm just asking for a step in the right direction. How does my plan sound so far? What else can I do?

Also as a side question if anyone would happen to know the answer:

1. Do the retaken grades get replaced or averaged?
  2. If I took a lower division class at UCSB first (lets say calc 1), would taking it at CC still "count" and replace/average the grade even though its different institutions? I just wonder how course equivalencies work when its not directly between the schools.
Thanks for reading and thanks for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

They get averaged, not replaced. Schools will see both. At a sub 3.0 sGPA most schools will screen you out so a DIY post-bacc in addition to just taking some of those classes you did poorly on will be necessary.

You didn't mention anything about the MCAT. That's pretty important as well and doing well on that can make/break your app.

They get averaged, not replaced. Schools will see both. At a sub 3.0 sGPA most schools will screen you out so a DIY post-bacc in addition to just taking some of those classes you did poorly on will be necessary.

You didn't mention anything about the MCAT. That's pretty important as well and doing well on that can make/break your app.
I plan on taking the MCAT in spring 2022, I don't really have anything to say on it besides I'm going to take 3-6 months off of school/work completely and try to get as high a score as possible to make up for my grades.

I plan on taking the MCAT in spring 2022, I don't really have anything to say on it besides I'm going to take 3-6 months off of school/work completely and try to get as high a score as possible to make up for my grades.
You need to focus on raising your GPAs and obtaining clinical and non-clinical volunteering before worrying about the MCAT...