This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bchristyb18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 3.0 GPA seems low for med school admission, so if I were to work hard, how high could I raise it? If I add a minor (18 credit hours more) could it help my chances to raise my GPA? Also, I do volunteer at a free clinic, I'm in research studying Parkinson's, what else could I do to dramatically raise my chances to get into medical school? I'm interested in UT Houston and Baylor med school. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well assuming you do the minimum of 120 credits for a degree, AND do the rest of your degree with a 4.0, you could bump your GPA just above a 3.5. You'd have a killer upward trend, and a GPA good enough to get into MD.

Reactions: 1 users
What's diminishing your GPA? Is it core or science courses? I have a low core GPA (well, at least relative to an ideal MD matriculant) (3.00 core), but my science GPA was very high (3.89), and I still matriculated into M.D. I'm assuming that they'd ignore a low grade in a course that isn't relevant to medicine.

Plus, don't forget the rest of the package!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
[What's diminishing your GPA? Is it core or science courses? I have a low core GPA (well, at least relative to an ideal MD matriculant) (3.00 core), but my science GPA was very high (3.89), and I still matriculated into M.D. I'm assuming that they'd ignore a low grade in a course that isn't relevant to medicine.

Plus, don't forget the rest of the package!]

Yes, it has been because of core classes! I have only taken 2 science courses for now. What other factors increased your chances?

Last edited:
Just get good grades (3.8+) from here out, do well on the MCAT and check all the boxes for your ECs. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user