2nd time applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nendo21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you apply to the same schools twice do you get more considerations?

Members don't see this ad.

Nendo21 said:

hmmm..i'm not too sure about this or what you mean by considerations. but does anyone know if when you apply to the same school the second time around, do you have to send in brand new letters of recommendation and a new or revised personal essay?

pbure said:
hmmm..i'm not too sure about this or what you mean by considerations. but does anyone know if when you apply to the same school the second time around, do you have to send in brand new letters of recommendation and a new or revised personal essay?

you can use the same essay if you want but you gotta send new recommendations i think its better to do a new personal statement to show them that you are an improved applicant from last time they rejected you...but im really interested if they are nicer to you second time around though...anyone have any input?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me share my experience on certain schools with regards to 2nd time applicants.

I applied to CASE last year (2003 cycle) and was considered very late applicant, didn't get in. I applied again this cycle and was told just to submit my AADSAS application, since they already had my LORs, Essay and DAT scores.

I have been told by other schools to re-send everything, it just depends on the school you are re-applying to. In any case, I would check with the schools before I assume anything.

OP: On the other point, with whether schools will give more consideration (I think you mean preference), I think adcoms will look at all potential applicants equal - no preferences given to 2nd time applicants. The critical factor (in almost all schools) that would improve the chances of getting in is applying really early in the cycle.

Good Luck

I really don't understand why would we have to get all new letters of recommendation. If I don't get in this cycle there is no way I can get another 3 letters from different science professors and 2 from different dentists within a few short months . It wouldn't make any sense. The only thing that I would plan on doing the second time around would be to brush up my essay, take a few more courses to raise science GPA and maybe get some more experience in the dental field to show my commitment.

pbure said:

You have to re-submit the new LORs. They can be the same ones you used in the previous cycle.

Rezdawg said:
You have to re-submit the new LORs. They can be the same ones you used in the previous cycle.

ohh. now it makes sense. thanks for clearing that up rezdawg

Nendo21 said:

Kentucky just sent me al etter of rejection, and I called to see what the problem was. I talked to an admissions person named Kim Bryan and he said at their school they looked very favorably on second time applicants so long as they had improved on the areas that their advisor had counciled. I hope after being denied the first time you called and talked to the dean. He or she would have given advice on what to improve on. I cant see an adcom not taking notice when someone has put in the effort to apply twice and has made a nice improvement. At KU thay said they would hold all the information except the AADSAS app. and that they took all the second applicants aside and looked at them individually.