2nd malpractice policy question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDGARA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about getting a second malpractice policy.

1st policy: this covers my primary outpatient gig and is under my name, Idgara MD. They will not let me use this policy to cover some PRN optho coverage I'll be doing.

2nd policy: I spoke with my primary coverage company, and the agent said I would need to open a policy under my business, IDGARA Anesthesia (which is a sole proprietorship). If I had two policy's under my name, I was told that any malpractice claim could go after both.

So my questions are: does this sound legit? Should I talk with a lawyer to make sure things are structured correctly (i.e. the second policy covers IDGARA Anesthesia)?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of anyone needing two policies before.

If the policy is under your name and you are paying for it, how can they "not let you" use it for optho?

Usually if you pay for the policy, then it covers you wherever you go. If the site or your employer pays for it, then they may restrict it.

Most docs in California have corporations and they only have one policy to cover everything

Never heard of anyone needing two policies before.

If the policy is under your name and you are paying for it, how can they "not let you" use it for optho?

Usually if you pay for the policy, then it covers you wherever you go. If the site or your employer pays for it, then they may restrict it.

Most docs in California have corporations and they only have one policy to cover everything
Yeah, my primary gig is paying for the malpractice policy, so they're restricting its use and coverage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, my primary gig is paying for the malpractice policy, so they're restricting its use and coverage.
Ahh I see.

Then most get policies that cover themselves and their corporation.

It's a little different if you have a medical practice and see patients in your office. So you just want to make sure the policy your purchase for yourself will cover you sufficiently. The other malpractice policy doesn't apply as it doesn't cover you when doing outside work.

They can try to go after the 1st policy I suppose but it wouldn't change anything for you personally so it doesn't matter.

Check into part time policies as well. Since you aren't doing the side gig full time, it's cheaper

Something makes zero sense. Are u under a small group policy? For the first one. Even small group policies should cover ur side gig IF YOU PAID FOR THE SMALL GROUP POLICY out of ur own pocket (as part of small group )

I know of one specific case of two policies. The physician (EM) had policies only covered the care they provided. However, they also did EMS medical director work so needed a second policy for that non direct care work

Something makes zero sense. Are u under a small group policy? For the first one. Even small group policies should cover ur side gig IF YOU PAID FOR THE SMALL GROUP POLICY out of ur own pocket (as part of small group )
Its a group policy paid for by AMC llc, so it's not in my name. I guess I could ask to buy the policy from them to keep from having to get a second one.

Its a group policy paid for by AMC llc, so it's not in my name. I guess I could ask to buy the policy from them to keep from having to get a second one.
This is normal for an AMC. The policy is limited to their sites. If you want to work at a non-AMC site you need permission from them to get it added to your policy. You can offer to pay a small fee like $5,000 to get all your side gigs covered. That would be cheaper than buying a second policy or paying for the entire policy from the AMC.

You need consistent work to pay for your second malpractice policy so make sure the income stream justifies the cost of a new policy.

Reactions: 1 users
This is normal for an AMC. The policy is limited to their sites. If you want to work at a non-AMC site you need permission from them to get it added to your policy. You can offer to pay a small fee like $5,000 to get all your side gigs covered. That would be cheaper than buying a second policy or paying for the entire policy from the AMC.

You need consistent work to pay for your second malpractice policy so make sure the income stream justifies the cost of a new policy.

I had always assumed it was utilized in order for the AMC to control you and your ability to work elsewhere. So I assumed they wouldn't be agreeable to providing additional coverage.

Have you heard of them approving coverage for outside stuff?

I had always assumed it was utilized in order for the AMC to control you and your ability to work elsewhere. So I assumed they wouldn't be agreeable to providing additional coverage.

Have you heard of them approving coverage for outside stuff?
In general the answer is NO. They don't care if you offer them $5,000 because they don't want to waste time with you. You don't matter much. You are a cog in the machine. But, I suspect in this market if you threaten to quit over it they may, just may, discuss it with you because hiring a replacement is very difficult.
Most people just purchase their own policy at the minimum coverage for ASC work because you are supposed to be doing low risk cases.