2nd Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthodoc40

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year, I interviewed at a school that is still my first choice, but (obviously) did not get accepted. Although I tried this summer to get input on my application specifically from them, as in, what would they like to see me improve, the school's policy is to not really give out information. They give you the generic, "Contact your premed advisor" schpeil. I had reached one of my interviewers by email before the school told us to go through the admissions office, and the interviewer told me she had thought the interview itself was great.

The school just invited me to interview again this year which I am really REALLY happy about!! I'm cautiously optimistic, just because they didn't accept me last year in spite of my pledges of love & devotion... :oops:

Anyone have any helpful suggestions on what to say during my interview to emphasize my interest and that they are easily my first choice?? I have been considering being pretty straightforward and saying essentially, "Hey, I really want to come to this school, and last year I was disappointed not to be accepted, so I really want this interview to answer any questions that might come up when decision time comes around, so what do you want to know?" Or something.

Plus would you mention that you've gotten accepted to another school already but still really want to go to there, or just not mention it unless asked?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all I would NEVER mention that I was accepted to another school, let alone mention the idea of other schools (unless you were directly asked). I can easily see the admission's interviewer saying "Oh, you are accepted to another school? Best wishes with that school in the coming fall." Although that's a bit extreme, I don't think telling another school that you are accepted somewhere else is going to make them think that they should grab you first (this isn't undergrad and you are not fighting for a place on the basketball scholarship).

In terms of asking them why you didn't get accepted last year, that's weird that they didn't tell you why you didn't get in. Again, I don't think your devotion to going to that school is going to skew them considerably. I would look into showing them how you have improved over the past year and your devotion to wanting to become a doctor. Of course it doesn't hurt to mention that you really enjoy the school (mention all the programs, extra extracurriculars, and student run groups that you would love to be involved in).

That's my option on the matter, but others may think differently. I am just telling you my experience from 3 rounds of interviews at the same school (with the last resulting in an acceptance). Best wishes with the interview process, and heaven forbid you don't get in, try again next year and use the early decision option to show the school that you are really interested in them.

Okay - I was exaggerating on the "pledges of love & devotion" part!!
I meant that I did everything I could to let them know they were my #1 choice. And I will do that again this year. Other than emphasizing the improvements, I wonder if there is anything else I can do? Anyone with admissions experience that can chime in?

Okay - I was exaggerating on the "pledges of love & devotion" part!!
I meant that I did everything I could to let them know they were my #1 choice. And I will do that again this year. Other than emphasizing the improvements, I wonder if there is anything else I can do? Anyone with admissions experience that can chime in?
If my experience means anything, then telling a school that they're #1 won't do anything. That's not to say that they won't like the compliment, but how will you saying that they're #1 make you any different than any other applicant? What I mean is, every applicant says some variant of that and means it. It isn't something that'll make you stand out.

Only if your interviewer asks you directly about why you were rejected or why you didn't get in should you talk about it. Personally, I'd stay away from anything like "I was disappointed..." and stick entirely with how you improved, but again, only if asked directly. Stay entirely positive. Never give them any impression that you're anything but a wonderful person. It is your time to shine.