2nd Gap Year Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDDS_1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was my second cycle applying and I applied to 9 schools total (4 of which were instate), interviewed at 2, got waitlisted at 1. I know it is still a bit early to decide, but I want to plan ahead if need be for another gap year. My undergrad GPA was a 3.6 overall and 3.4 science. I took the DAT for the 3rd time in July 2021 and applied to all my schools by the end of July.

DAT 1st: AA-17 PAT-18 QR-17 RC-20 BIO-19 GC-14 OC-16 TS-17
DAT 2nd AA-18 PAT-18 QR-15 RC-21 BIO-18 GC-18 OC-18 TS-18
DAT 3rd AA-19 PAT-18 QR-19 RC-23 BIO-20 GC-19 OC-16 TS-18

This past year after applying I have been working in a dental office as a sterilization tech/training for RDA. For my next step I don't know if I should:

A. Retake the DAT for the 4th time and improve my score significantly, but I am not sure it would be seen as a negative thing to be taking it a 4th time
B. Go for a masters in biomedical sciences so I can still be involved academically and to show that I can take rigorous classes
C. Work for another year in a dental office or with my BS in Biology degree

Any advice will be appreciated, I want to be able to work on whatever I can to reach my career goal!

Members don't see this ad.

This was my second cycle applying and I applied to 9 schools total (4 of which were instate), interviewed at 2, got waitlisted at 1. I know it is still a bit early to decide, but I want to plan ahead if need be for another gap year. My undergrad GPA was a 3.6 overall and 3.4 science. I took the DAT for the 3rd time in July 2021 and applied to all my schools by the end of July.

DAT 1st: AA-17 PAT-18 QR-17 RC-20 BIO-19 GC-14 OC-16 TS-17
DAT 2nd AA-18 PAT-18 QR-15 RC-21 BIO-18 GC-18 OC-18 TS-18
DAT 3rd AA-19 PAT-18 QR-19 RC-23 BIO-20 GC-19 OC-16 TS-18

This past year after applying I have been working in a dental office as a sterilization tech/training for RDA. For my next step I don't know if I should:

A. Retake the DAT for the 4th time and improve my score significantly, but I am not sure it would be seen as a negative thing to be taking it a 4th time
B. Go for a masters in biomedical sciences so I can still be involved academically and to show that I can take rigorous classes
C. Work for another year in a dental office or with my BS in Biology degree

Any advice will be appreciated, I want to be able to work on whatever I can to reach my career goal!
come up with a broader and smarter list

Reactions: 1 user
come up with a broader and smarter list
but you should trust the process for now
there is still a long time left in this cycle...

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up hope yet. That's my #1 tip.

Before applying for my 3rd time, I looked really hard for other careers that I could be happy with. I ultimately ended up back at dentistry, but even now a few months from graduation, I consider how life would have been if I had been doing something else for the last several years.

Look outside of the scope of your BS in Biology. It's not going to get you very far. Really make a strong effort to find something else. If you can't find something you think you could do for a career, go truly all in for dentistry.

I would retake DAT and get like a 22, and also apply to like 20 schools. Also network and go to predental events so they recognize your name/face. Call those schools and ask why they did not give you an interview/acceptance. They will give you a lot more valuable information than the forums will