2nd Bachelors Degree - Biology or Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaeWhat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a 2nd Bachelors. What would be better - a 2nd in biology or chemistry? ??? any thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

The bio major will have more courses that are similar to medical coursework (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, immunology, histology, virology, cell biology, etc.). In addition, the biology major typically requires you to complete the necessary chemistry prereqs for med school anyway (1 year of gen chem, 1 year of organic, and sometimes biochem). The advantage of the chem major is that it's not just straight memorization like many bio courses. There are courses in chem that may require more analytical skills. I once saw a comparison of MCAT scores of students in different majors. Chemistry majors tend to perform better than biology majors, if I remember correctly.

It's a toss up. Choose whichever major you think you would enjoy more.

Bio is sooooooo much cooler than chemistry! (Granted, I'm biased, I'm a bio major.) ;)
Lisa

Phil Anthropist said:
The bio major will have more courses that are similar to medical coursework (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, immunology, histology, virology, cell biology, etc.). In addition, the biology major typically requires you to complete the necessary chemistry prereqs for med school anyway (1 year of gen chem, 1 year of organic, and sometimes biochem). The advantage of the chem major is that it's not just straight memorization like many bio courses. There are courses in chem that may require more analytical skills. I once saw a comparison of MCAT scores of students in different majors. Chemistry majors tend to perform better than biology majors, if I remember correctly.

It's a toss up. Choose whichever major you think you would enjoy more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most Chem majors have a requirement of P chem... so I would go with the Biology.

Which is "better"? Whichever one you like more. Which would I do? Just the thought of those requirements for a chem major makes me queasy, so... bio.

The chemistry that are relevant do getting to med school is General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry so I would lean on Biology or even Biochem.