29M Competitive for USyd???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbbeu06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just received my MCAT score. Anyone know if I'd be competitive with a 29M, Computer Engineering Undergrad degree, and volunteer work in Tanzania with a Human Rights Organization? Calculating my GPA using the Australian format, I make the cut-offs for all the schools. I know that in some schools, the GPA is only used to select for the interview...after that, its only the MCAT & interview grade.

Any help from people experienced with the Australian medschool application process would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd be competitive at USyd. You'd also be competitive at UQ and probably the other grad entry programmes.

Usyd would interview you, then make their decision based off of interview. UQ would weigh interview w/ MCAT. Flinders would weigh both + gpa. Not as sure about the others, but Melbourne is considered somewhat picky.

-pitman

pitman said:
You'd be competitive at USyd. You'd also be competitive at UQ and probably the other grad entry programmes.

Usyd would interview you, then make their decision based off of interview. UQ would weigh interview w/ MCAT. Flinders would weigh both + gpa. Not as sure about the others, but Melbourne is considered somewhat picky.

-pitman

Hi Pitman. Thanks for the speedy response. Do you know of the stats for each uni as to the avg. entry mcat score, gpa etc. I am a Canadian, but would like to end up practicing in Australia so I am only seriously considering the Aussie medschools. Which school do you go to? In my situation, between Sydney & Queensland, which would you recommend as my first & second choice? Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'm getting nervous thinking about these applications already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey cbbeu,

I can help you out on that one. I emailed Admissions at a few Aus unis on the average stats. For Flinders, a N. American GPA of 3.3/80% with 10 for each MCAT section/O writing would be good enough to get an interview. For Melbourne, the average stats of accepted international students were an Aus GPA of 6.5 and a 31Q MCAT. I have no idea what a 6.5 works out to be but I'm guessing it's around 3.3/80% as well. The Flinders email indicated that a higher GPA would offset a lower MCAT (and vice versa); I got the impression that it's the same case for Melbourne as well (though I could be mistaken). Keep in mind that both Flinders and Melbourne use a weighted GPA where they put more emphasis on your later undergrad years (similar to UOttawa and NOSM).

I wasn't able to get the info for the schools you were inquiring about (USyd and UQ) but I'd imagine the stats would be similar; in general it seems a 3.2+ GPA and a 30+ MCAT would make an applicant competitive across the board in Aus. However, IMO a 29 MCAT would be fine.

cheers, canucker

canucker said:
Hey cbbeu,

I can help you out on that one. I emailed Admissions at a few Aus unis on the average stats. For Flinders, a N. American GPA of 3.3/80% with 10 for each MCAT section/O writing would be good enough to get an interview. For Melbourne, the average stats of accepted international students were an Aus GPA of 6.5 and a 31Q MCAT. I have no idea what a 6.5 works out to be but I'm guessing it's around 3.3/80% as well. The Flinders email indicated that a higher GPA would offset a lower MCAT (and vice versa); I got the impression that it's the same case for Melbourne as well (though I could be mistaken). Keep in mind that both Flinders and Melbourne use a weighted GPA where they put more emphasis on your later undergrad years (similar to UOttawa and NOSM).

cheers, canucker

Remember, the scores of enrolled students will likely be much lower than those of accepted students. Australian schools are no bother to apply to. For N. Americans, Australian schools are almost exclusively used as "back up" or after applicants have failed to gain admission in Canada or the US. If your original intent was Australian medical school, you probably wouldn't have bothered with the MCAT anyway. Afterall, the GAMSAT is offered in the US.

(You would not be wise to use this as a step to immigration. You will get PR easily but you run into closed doors career-wise.)

Many of those higher scoring accepted applicants may also gain admission to schools in Canada or the US. Australian schools may go through a number of "rounds" before they fill their spots. I know of a number of people, who have taken spots in Australia only to drop out a couple months later after obtaining places in the US. Don't be scared off by those high numbers. (In your interview, they are likely to ask where else you have applied -- dodge the issue!)

The 29 would be "competitive" pretty much anywhere in Australia. Then, it comes down to how well you interview and your demographics.

cbbeu06 said:
Hi Pitman. Thanks for the speedy response. Do you know of the stats for each uni as to the avg. entry mcat score, gpa etc. I am a Canadian, but would like to end up practicing in Australia so I am only seriously considering the Aussie medschools. Which school do you go to? In my situation, between Sydney & Queensland, which would you recommend as my first & second choice?

I only know UQ exam stats (where I am), and for those attending -- 28P MCAT and 67 GAMSAT. While I'd guess that *acceptance* stats for schools here would likely be a little higher, I don't think by much, but alas, none of us on these forums really knows how many of those applicants used Aussie as a backup. UK was actually going to be my backup to Oz, and I had no interest in n america and didn't apply. I know of several others who put Oz/UQ first, they tend to be the higher scorers here, counter to Spherical's reasoning, possibly b.c. such scorers are least likely to need a backup (thus no reason for them to apply here as one) and want to study here for other sincere reasons.

At any rate, 29 should at least be sufficient for an interview at any of the schools.

Practicing in Australia is not easy, but it's doable -- if you're not a citizen, you'd first need to get PR. This can be done using your previous degree or by living with a de facto for a year, and at UQ can be done before you graduate so long as you continue to pay int'l fees. If you put PR off until internship, then you could get stuck without one, as preference is given to residents. After internship, there's no such barrier to continue with training, but after you're done, you're still subjected to a 10-year moratorium (starting from internship), where you can't accept medicare payments. This means you can go to the bush or work in other areas of need during that time, but you can't otherwise do private practice.

I can't recommend one school over another, but can only tell you what I did. I chose UQ after visiting it, USyd and Flinders. I didn't apply anywhere else (UK would have been the backup, but considering i'd be attending here before interviews there, and knowing i'd get in somewhere here, that'd have been silly).

Flinders was great, really responsive administration, small class, but I absolutely hated Adelaide (many really like it, just a personal thing). USyd admins were seriously arrogant, jerking around many applicants the year i applied (we discussed it here actually), and I pissed them off when i pushed the issue during my interview in Sydney after they denied it (was a little more tactful than that, but not much). I liked Sydney on an intellectual level (has the most to offer, more arts and history, etc.) but was not 'moved' by it as much as Brisbane, which is more like a big town (of 1 million mind you).

The students I know at USyd outside of the forums like it a lot. On the forums, most also like it, but there have been one or two nut cases who have decided to blame the world in general, USyd in particular, for their problems.

At any rate, it actually came down to environment/feel for me, and Brisbane is beautiful, warm, and the ppl are warm (from the moment i came off the plane).

It's too bad USyd stopped using its own app -- it used to be that you could apply to usyd, flinders and a third via acer, then decide as things unfolded. But I'd still recommend coming here for interviews, or just before/after, so that you can really see what's up, where you think you'd like for 4 years, and talk to some students in the flesh about their experiences.

hope this helps.
-pitman