207 Step 1- DO student wanting EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Narcos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

Just wanted to get peoples opinions on my situation. Im a 3rd year medical student who got a 207 on my first attempt for STEP 1. Ive always been interested in EM but now I feel like my chances of matching are slim to none. I am a US DO student. I have a fair amount of research and 2 publications. I wanted to see what my chances are for matching into EM. Should I give it up? My back up would be primary care such as Internal or family? any advice- other then killing step 2

Members don't see this ad.

You may be fine due to the fact that people are being scared off of EM by the job reports and employability concerns for the future. Theoretically it will make it less competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'll be okay. I have a good friend who has a 209 and she has gotten multiple interviews so far. She did work in the ED for a few years before medical school, and likely has excellent SLOEs as the places she's rotated have told her she's the best student they've had in years, likely due to her work experience.

I really feel like EM cares more about dedication than a lot of other specialties, so if you have the volunteering and work experience to prove you want EM, you can match with lower board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be okay. I have a good friend who has a 209 and she has gotten multiple interviews so far. She did work in the ED for a few years before medical school, and likely has excellent SLOEs as the places she's rotated have told her she's the best student they've had in years, likely due to her work experience.

I really feel like EM cares more about dedication than a lot of other specialties, so if you have the volunteering and work experience to prove you want EM, you can match with lower board scores.
Yea EM care less about step1/step 2 and much more about SLOE's and commitment, have a friend last year with stellar scores drop to his #4, still a decent uni program because he had average/below average sloe's and didn't do anything EM related in extracurriculars. So a score can only take you soo far.

You’ll match but you should read about the future of EM before you take the path just so you are aware of what you might get yourself into