206 on step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiacsarcoidosis

MS-IV, General Surgery Match 2020
Reaction score
Greetings to all!
Applying general surgery, shot at matching?

US IMG
Step 1- 206
Step 2 CK - pending
Step 2 CS - pending

All clerkships being done/done at ACGME accredited teaching hospitals.

no red flags: i.e., no fails/no academic pitfalls/ no unexpected events; have passed everything first attempt so far.

25 yrs old, single, no commitments, etc. can move around/relocate
don't need any visas/work permits, born and raised in the USA, USA citizen

into outdoor activities/hobbies, i.e. canoeing, backpacking, camping, etc.
open to rural surgery programs.

have two peer reviewed publications, both first authored (one w/dept chair of surgery)

3 LORS, including one from dept chair of surgery

still in medical school, transitioning into a M4, not an older graduate, etc.

Honestly surgery was the only rotation I enjoyed,
felt like i clicked with the rotation and faculty/attendings,
was a 12 week clerkship at my med school in a busy inpatient
ACGME teaching hospital, loved the OR.

Any advice to increase chances of matching appreciated,
residents, attending, pd's

applying broadly

Thank you for your time in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is potential. Step 1 will drag you down. You need to kill CK and have results ideally before application, certainly before interviews.

The research, unfortunately, doesn't matter that much. What would make a difference is whether that chair is willing to pick up the phone and get you some interviews.

Overall, without a good CK and the chair's active support, things may be tough.

PS. Face value of what you're describing is: Step 1 of 206. 3? first-author pubs (if they have been published or at least in-press - btw, what is an "exclusive" pub in a "limited-edition" journal? is it even peer-reviewed? if it's a case report or viewpoint it doesn't usually account to much), a couple more pending (pending = not there). "Strong" LORs sounds like average for surgery, and most of the time there is no way for you to know.

Edit: Just noticed your linkedin profile. Sorry to say this, but I am not sure that these publications would go a long way for most people (for some people, if it's not on pubmed, it didn't happen). Try to work as hard as you can on your step 2 and networking. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There is potential. Step 1 will drag you down. You need to kill CK and have results ideally before application, certainly before interviews.

The research, unfortunately, doesn't matter that much. What would make a difference is whether that chair is willing to pick up the phone and get you some interviews.

Overall, without a good CK and the chair's active support, things may be tough.

PS. Face value of what you're describing is: Step 1 of 206. 3? first-author pubs (if they have been published or at least in-press - btw, what is an "exclusive" pub in a "limited-edition" journal? is it even peer-reviewed? if it's a case report or viewpoint it doesn't usually account to much), a couple more pending (pending = not there). "Strong" LORs sounds like average for surgery, and most of the time there is no way for you to know.

Edit: Just noticed your linkedin profile. Sorry to say this, but I am not sure that these publications would go a long way for most people (for some people, if it's not on pubmed, it didn't happen). Try to work as hard as you can on your step 2 and networking. Good luck!

Thank you for your valuable advice and time. I appreciate your response.