2023 accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cal2MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding European medical schools accreditation after 2023.

I am US citizen, interested in studying medicine in Europe. I would like to study in countries such as Poland, Croatia or Italy in English.

I would like to start in the fall of 2020 after graduating with BS in neuroscience, however I will most likely would like to come back to the US after I am done and will be impacted by the new rules, going to be implemented in 2023. ( I am aware of all the IMG’s problems and difficulties)

Starting in 2023, individuals who apply for ECFMG Certification must be a student or graduate of a medical school that is accredited, at the time of application to ECFMG, by an accrediting agency recognized by the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME).

If the country/agency is not listed presently on the WFME website, it means they have not yet begun the WFME recognition process.
I was told by ECFMG that most European countries have not yet begun the WFME recognition process.
They also said that the Association of Medical Schools in Europe (AMSE) is currently trying a pilot accreditation program for its member schools, but it is only in its early stages, and it is not yet WFME recognized.

Could you please advise on how to choose the right medical school in Europe if planning to come back to the US and graduating after the new requirement implementation?

My second question is about the approval by the Medical Board of CA.

In January 2020, Senate Bill 798 will delete the requirement for the Board to approve International Medical Schools. This bill determines that an International Medical School will be recognized if the school is listed on the World Federation for Medical Education and the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research World Directory of Medical Schools joint director of the World Directory of Medical School.

I wonder if it sounds like after January 1, 2020, the CMB will be approving/recognizing ALL ENGLISH language foreign medical programs if the school and it’s English program are included in The World Directory?
For example, the Medical University of Łódź, Poland (included in the World directory) has an English program ( included in the world directory) which is presently NOT recognized by the Medical Board of California.

Will the English program of the Med University of Łódź be recognized after January 2020?

Right now The Medical board of CA specifically approves only some of the English language programs in foreign medical schools:“The English language programs must apply for recognition and receive approval from the Medical Board of California for the education received from the English language program to be eligible to qualify an applicant for licensure requirements in California.”

Will an applicant for licensure qualify in California if they will be graduating after Jan 1, 2020, from the Foreign Medical School English Program previously Unrecognized by MBC?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Cal2Md,
It appears that you have done some research that I haven't and so thank you for the information above. I don't have any answers for you, but do you know how financial aid will work with the English speaking medical school? I am looking at Italy for my schooling and wonder if I can get US school loans for international medical training. Maybe you came across a resource for this kind of information.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Cal2MD,

I had similar questions and actually spoke with the medical board of california this morning. I was told that starting Jan 1 2020 as long as the medical school you attend is listed in the world directory of medical schools at the time of applying + ECFMG certified, then California will honor the degree. As far as English programs that are "not approed" by California, the rep i spoke to said it would not make a difference. However, students will be required to do 3 years of residency to practice in California.

Reactions: 1 users