2020 Neurology Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevinbrainy

Reaction score
Looking at the 2020 boards I see there are more questions in sequence (called "vignette questions") (basically half of the 400 questions), anyone with some input on those? Best review bank for this type of questions?

Members don't see this ad.

yes half of the questions are vignette type and the other half are plain MCQ. You can go back in the block of the simple MCQ but not the Vignette type. I would recommend Chin Chang, Beat the boards and First Aid. The board questions are much easier than RITE.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Re online question banks, I saw that BV for example does not have vignette questions (in sequence), while Neuroprep has them, would you recommend the one that has them (i.e. is it important to practice on vignette/sequence questions)? ... half of the exam is vignette/sequence....

Regarding the material to read, in general I think it is good to pick a set of books and stick to those, either one that covers everything or you old material, any thoughts about this list they published here NeuroPrep for Neurology Boards preparation

• Anatomy: Duane Haines
  • Behavioral/Psychiatry: Kaplan and Sadock review for psychiatry. Old USMLE review books could be useful.
  • Clinical Adult : Everybody has their own favorite book. As a rule, Adams and Victor can be considered as comprehensive enough to cover almost all the asked questions, but this is by no means the only resource.
  • Clinical Pediatrics: Fenichel is sufficient for exam purposes.
  • Contemporary Issues/ ethics: recent Neurology (Green Journal) articles
  • Neuroimaging : Loevner- Neuroradiology essentials (easy to read, lots of pictures) or Grossman-Neuroradiology requisites (more comprehensive).
  • Pathology: Online pathologic series, Kumar, Cottran and Robbins
  • Pharmacology/Chemistry: Clinical adult and pediatric books would be sufficient for most of these questions.
  • Physiology: For EEG- Abou-Khalil and for EMG- Pease or Misulis.
Perhaps too much?

thanks!!

You are ABSOLUTELY overdoing it. I took it 3 yrs ago. All I used was the Mayo Clinic board review book, Cheng Ching Neuro for boards and wards and Boardvitals. I tried Neuroprep and I thought it was a waste of time. You can also do some AAN question banks. That should set you up nicely.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Telamir. If you can read all these books during your entire residency and remember it that would be great! With this much material you cannot revise in the end.
Boards are much more easy.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for your replies. I tried the AAN questions but I think are too difficult! Maybe I am too fresh from residency.... Guess I will get one of those review books and a question bank. I have heard that boards are easier than the RITE.

Boards are not difficult. As someone who never prepared for the RITE, a few weeks of modest investment with a review book and an online question set was plenty and bordered on overkill. Unless you're someone who has a history of freezing up and vastly underrepresenting your knowledge on standardized tests, you'll have learned plenty in the course of any decent neurology residency to pass the ABPN with ease.

The thing about boards is that the stand-alone questions are the sort that you either know or you have to guess.

"What receptor does X drug act on?"

You can't reason your way out of that one. The vignettes and the multi step ones are different. Overall I'd say the test was challenging (but then again I always leave exams thinking I flunked) but I did quite well. I essentially only used what I wrote on my post. I never studied for the RITE exam until my last year and I did quite well then but otherwise I was pretty mediocre for those exams as well.

I have heard there are no more many questions on receptors or genetics (those questions you mentioned - kind of sterile knowledge), less pathology and more radiology.... anyone confirms?

I meant...there are more questions on radiology rather than pathology questions (with pictures)...

After the boards I can give you an update.
As far as books, go for what I told you before
Comprehensive Review in Clinical Neurology
Author(s): Esteban Cheng-Ching , Eric P. Baron DO, Lama Chahine MD, Alexander Rae-Grant MD
see Comprehensive Review in Clinical Neurology
I like the subdivision in chapters, the questions are not bad at all (I find that you can even memorize those for the sake of the boards).

I really do not think you need any other review. Then practice on a database online.
As far as online databases, in the end I used both Neuroprep and Boardvitals. BV has definitely a larger number of questions but overall I thought NP is more focused. Definitely both have too many pathology questions which are now are outdated..
Here some more comments:
BV has tons of questions with multiple answers ABC or A and B and also questions asking NOT CORRECT option (None of these types of questions are on the boards now).
Both of them have some questions which are too specific for a subset (for example I doubt that some genetic questions you see on NP would be seen on the boards).
On BV some questions are a little out of place, seem from different databases (development questions for example -- totally out of place for neurology), and they have 500 questions of psychiatry -- probably merged psych bank.
And on BV too many sleep questions (25% questions on RLS! really? who cares about RLS).
So If I could go back I would pick NP, less questions but more focused. Hope this helps and thanks for your prior inputs.

I wanted to post on here to help anyone in the future who, like me, reviewed multiple threads before their board exam looking for help/reassurance/guidance/etc.

My Background: Above average test taker. Step 1: 240+, Step 2: 230+, Step 3: 240+. Did residency in a larger, inpatient heavy, academic program. RITE scores consistently in the 30-40th percentile for class average (without studying). In my PGY4 year, I studied for ~2 weeks, and felt like the test was quite easy, and got my highest class percentile score of... ~45%.

My Preparation: I was quite worried for the examination given my below average RITE scores. I did not study much at all during residency, nor was I one to look up everything regarding the disease states in the patients that I saw (mainly due to high patient volumes).
- Cheng-Ching Neurology - Book for the Wards and Boards - I went through this book twice. This provides a solid foundation for your studying. It appears to be the most common resource among fellow residents as well. For the price, this is definitely recommended.
- BoardVitals - I went through this twice, starting from Christmas of PGY-4 year. I mainly did 10 question "study mode" tests during my down time. When I would have more time to sit and study, I would do 25 question "untimed mode" tests. I finished the first run in July of PGY-5. I scored ~68% on my first run though and ~85% on my second run through. I learn the best through these QBanks, and thought this was a pretty good one. About 33% of the questions were without detailed explanations, which I didnt like. However, it was clear that they consistently update their QBank, as the second time around, I was starting to get more questions regarding "newer" therapeutics such as CGRP-inhibitors. BoardVitals was heavily subsidized by my program. I'm not sure if the value for BV is significantly better than other QBanks.
- Laughing your Way to Passing the Neurology Boards - I purchased this book 2 months before the exam. I used it to make flashcards and memorize hard to learn subjects (metabolic disorders primarily). I did not find this to be particularly helpful, and frankly some of the information was out of date. Would not recommend unless pneumonics is your primary way to remember things.
- AAN/Continuum Reviews and Self Assessments - I used this as further QBank questions. Especially the free ones when you are an AAN Member, I used this as additional QBank Questions. I recommend these, especially since you should get several of them free.

Night before/Test Day: Wow, this was the worst I'd ever felt before going into a test. I kept feeling like I was destined to be one of the 10-15% of first time takers who fails. I'm in a rather narrow subspecialty fellowship, so I felt if I failed this year, I would just continue hemorrhaging neuro knowledge. I had bad insomnia the night before. I got maybe 2-3 hours of sleep going into the test. I was the first to arrive to the testing center, which was good because if I had shown 15 minutes later, the wait would have probably been 45+ minutes getting into the testing room with all the social distancing protocols. Otherwise, the day flowed smoothly.

The Test itself: I felt the questions were on par with the RITE examination. The progressive vignette questions were quite reassuring and felt substantially easier. I walked out of there estimating that my raw score was probably ~75-85%.

Results: The results were said to be expected after 10-12 weeks. They came in the middle of the 12th week. I PASSED with a score somewhere in the 2nd quartile. I am in a very narrow subspecialty fellowship, but otherwise would consider myself pretty average among all the other categories. My weakest subjects on the test (below "passing") were "neuro-onc", "questions not associated with a neuro DO", and "systems based practices" (never heard of that one, never studied anything for that, even though many of those were somewhat common sense).

Takeaways: The fail rate is <15%, so if your RITE averages have been higher than that, you are off to a good start. Play to your strengths in terms of studying. Try to get a good night sleep the night before. If you have any resources to help with reviewing "systems based practices" that would be helpful.

Good LUCK!