2020-2021 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received an email that LMU-DCOM will NOT be requiring a letter from a physician this cycle. Good news for anyone who was unable to obtain shadowing or a letter due to COVID.

Saw the email header and got excited. That will teach me to expect anything positive.

Members don't see this ad.

Saw the email header and got excited. That will teach me to expect anything positive.
lol I got excited too. 8/5 was when the first II was reported on SDN for this school last year, so the timeline matched up

Reactions: 1 user
In the past has there been any students who have been accepted with MCAT score below 500?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email that LMU-DCOM will NOT be requiring a letter from a physician this cycle. Good news for anyone who was unable to obtain shadowing or a letter due to COVID.
On the other hand WVSOM still hard-require a DO letter :(

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone here a current student or someone in the region who could speak to the area of either campus? I'm from the northeast and haven't really been to Tennessee (aside from Nashville) and I'm curious what the area is like!
Knoxville is beautiful! Lots to do and a lot of nice places to live. Downside is the loan amount is for cost of living in Harrogate so if you don’t have a roommate, you’re above the allotted amount for rent. Harrogate is beautiful too but its in the middle of nowhere and not a lot to do. The school is the main part of the town. All the shopping is about 15 mins away across the border.

It sucks that the people who decided not to apply to LMU for this reason probably won't get the message. It hasn't been updated on their official website or on choosedo.org

Knoxville is beautiful! Lots to do and a lot of nice places to live. Downside is the loan amount is for cost of living in Harrogate so if you don’t have a roommate, you’re above the allotted amount for rent. Harrogate is beautiful too but its in the middle of nowhere and not a lot to do. The school is the main part of the town. All the shopping is about 15 mins away across the border.

Thanks for the response and sounds lovely! Are you an LMU student now?

Even if they are accepting applicants without a letter, that doesn't mean people shouldn't try to get one (if possible). Like, I am pretty sure if you have a physician letter, it will make you stand out and that's what the process is all about (standing out).

In the past has there been any students who have been accepted with MCAT score below 500?
In the past forum page, some people have reported that. Although, everything else was VERY good, like GPA, activities, letters, etc. It's more like a case by case. For example, I have heard that Marian University and LECOM have accepted people with an MCAT sightly lower the 500. But again, this is a case by case, it's not likely to happen though. The class of 2023 had an average of 501 MCAT at LMU, I am pretty sure that increased for the class of 2024 (I just say this because every year it gets slightly more competitive). I hope this clarify some doubts.

In the past forum page, some people have reported that. Although, everything else was VERY good, like GPA, activities, letters, etc. It's more like a case by case. For example, I have heard that Marian University and LECOM have accepted people with an MCAT sightly lower the 500. But again, this is a case by case, it's not likely to happen though. The class of 2023 had an average of 501 MCAT at LMU, I am pretty sure that increased for the class of 2024 (I just say this because every year it gets slightly more competitive). I hope this clarify some doubts.

What about low undergrad/average MCAT/ high SMP hahaha

This was kind of discouraging haha....hmmm....yeah re-took the MCAT this year. Most of my sections were 125+ except CARS (i was well below 125 :( ). CARS brought my score down below 500.
I don't have a VERY high GPA, but i did some post-bacc work after graduating and maintained 4.0. I also have lots of clinical experience and good LORs. Don't know if this will be enough, or if i will need to take the MCAT...AGAIN

What about low undergrad/average MCAT/ high SMP hahaha
This was kind of discouraging haha....hmmm....yeah re-took the MCAT this year. Most of my sections were 125+ except CARS (i was well below 125 :( ). CARS brought my score down below 500.
I don't have a VERY high GPA, but i did some post-bacc work after graduating and maintained 4.0. I also have lots of clinical experience and good LORs. Don't know if this will be enough, or if i will need to take the MCAT...AGAIN
Don't get discouraged. You always have a shot. If you want to talk to someone that can REALLY give you real feedback, you should call Ms. Whitney Porter. She's the director of admission, a very nice and helpful person. If you talk to her and show what you have, I am sure she will be able to provide you with great and realistic feedback (better than anyone else actually).
Now, in MY opinion, and experience, if you have a low GPA and a low MCAT it just gets harder. I feel like you could have one of them a little low and then the rest to balance, but having both of them low it's more complicated.
Am I saying you can't get it? No, I am not saying that. I am just saying your chances of getting accepted are harder.
Regardless of anything, it never hurts to call, so just give a call to Ms. Porter. I have insisted in the past until I got her at the office and she was VERY helpful. Go do that, it's your best resource, WAY better than SDN lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get discouraged. You always have a shot. If you want to talk to someone that can REALLY give you real feedback, you should call Ms. Whitney Porter. She's the director of admission, a very nice and helpful person. If you talk to her and show what you have, I am sure she will be able to provide you with great and realistic feedback (better than anyone else actually).
Now, in MY opinion, and experience, if you have a low GPA and a low MCAT it just gets harder. I feel like you could have one of them a little low and then the rest to balance, but having both of them low it's more complicated.
Am I saying you can't get it? No, I am not saying that. I am just saying your chances of getting accepted are harder.
Regardless of anything, it never hurts to call, so just give a call to Ms. Porter. I have insisted in the past until I got her at the office and she was VERY helpful. Go do that, it's your best resource, WAY better than SDN lol.

I’ve chatted with Ms. Porter frequently. She is amazing. She has not been discouraging at all. My overall and science are terrible (really bad) BUT I have a 3.68 SMP GPA and 501 MCAT. Plus 15 years as a medic and an alumni LOR. Hoping that’s able to make an impression.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve chatted with Ms. Porter frequently. She is amazing. She has not been discouraging at all. My overall and science are terrible (really bad) BUT I have a 3.68 SMP GPA and 501 MCAT. Plus 15 years as a medic and an alumni LOR. Hoping that’s able to make an impression.
How bad are we talking about? Also, a 3.68 on your SMP does show that you had a great improvement since undergraduate. Your MCAT is fair enough, LMU's average for the class of 2023 was 501. I really liked the 15 years as a medic, it did call my attention.
I would say you have a good chance of being called for an interview. The whole point of doing a master's program and doing well is to compensate for a low undergraduate GPA and it seems like you were able to manage that. Let me know if they offer you an interview. I wish you the best of luck!

Yes. In the last three years students have been accepted with at least as low as 494.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. In the last three years students have been accepted with at least as low as 494.
wow, I am pretty sure that's a case by case because the average for the class of 2023 was 501

wow, I am pretty sure that's a case by case because the average for the class of 2023 was 501

That’s kind of how applications work, lol. They have a decent number of accepted with scores higher than 501, too.

That’s kind of how applications work, lol. They have a decent number of accepted with scores higher than 501, too.
Yeah, I’m waiting for them to update their website with the average for the class of 2024. It tends to increase every year, so let’s see.
Also, there’s a list I found a while ago from AAMC if I’m not mistaken, that shows the amount of people that applied and the amount of people that got accepted based on their MCAT number nationwide. I’m just pointing this out as a comparison. I remember seeing a couple people getting accepted with an MCAT slightly below 500. So, there’s a possibility of getting accepted if that’s your case. But again, it’s a case by case and it involves many factors, such as you fitting the school’s mission statement, gpa, extra curricular activities, your person story, if you are a veteran, everything plays a role. But again, chances aren’t that high.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m waiting for them to update their website with the average for the class of 2024. It tends to increase every year, so let’s see.
Also, there’s a list I found a while ago from AAMC if I’m not mistaken, that shows the amount of people that applied and the amount of people that got accepted based on their MCAT number nationwide. I’m just pointing this out as a comparison. I remember seeing a couple people getting accepted with an MCAT slightly below 500. So, there’s a possibility of getting accepted if that’s your case. But again, it’s a case by case and it involves many factors, such as you fitting the school’s mission statement, gpa, extra curricular activities, your person story, if you are a veteran, everything plays a role. But again, chances aren’t that high.
where did you find this? is there a specific link?

where did you find this? is there a specific link?

I know a current third year student there was accepted with a 494. The last application thread had people accepted with 496, the one before that had 497s and a 498, and plenty with 499. They only require a 499 MCAT for the guaranteed admission from their SMP. And just thinking about it logically, if their average matriculant has a 501 (you can find that on the FAQ of the admissions site), that means plenty of people have below that. Many of them probably balanced out with higher stats, but a lot of people don't share stats even on here. Admissions is definitely case-by-case regardless of MCAT score, but LMU is definitely not unfriendly to lower MCAT scores.

Not LMU-specific, but the 2018 matriculant report from AACOM showed >25% of all matriculants had a <501 MCAT.

I know a current third year student there was accepted with a 494. The last application thread had people accepted with 496, the one before that had 497s and a 498, and plenty with 499. They only require a 499 MCAT for the guaranteed admission from their SMP. And just thinking about it logically, if their average matriculant has a 501 (you can find that on the FAQ of the admissions site), that means plenty of people have below that. Many of them probably balanced out with higher stats, but a lot of people don't share stats even on here. Admissions is definitely case-by-case regardless of MCAT score, but LMU is definitely not unfriendly to lower MCAT scores.

Not LMU-specific, but the 2018 matriculant report from AACOM showed >25% of all matriculants had a <501 MCAT.
Thanks for sharing this!!!

Wondering if today will be first day of II since it was about this time last year

Wondering if today will be first day of II since it was about this time last year
I would fairly say this week and next week will be the time a lot of DO schools start sending IIs. So just be a bit more patient and you will see when people start posting here they got an II.

I would fairly say this week and next week will be the time a lot of DO schools start sending IIs. So just be a bit more patient and you will see when people start posting here they got an II.

That’s my suspicion as well. And I wish I could tell you patience increases in your mid-thirties. It does with some things; not this haha

That’s my suspicion as well. And I wish I could tell you patience increases in your mid-thirties. It does with some things; not this haha
It is tough being this patient, I know, LECOM has not given me a response and I sent my stuff over a month to them so I just decided to start fishing, cooking, and reading books... the results have been fruitful. Mental game is super important for medical school and it is really not worth it destroying yourself this early lol. But for sure, just wait 1-2 weeks and we should hear something.

It is tough being this patient, I know, LECOM has not given me a response and I sent my stuff over a month to them so I just decided to start fishing, cooking, and reading books... the results have been fruitful. Mental game is super important for medical school and it is really not worth it destroying yourself this early lol. But for sure, just wait 1-2 weeks and we should hear something.

I have a full time medic job and six month old daughter; she is my hobby. That’s one reason I want this so badly. I want her to be proud of her daddy and I want to be able to care for my family.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

LECOM was my top choice because I live ten minutes away and know the program well. Still have not gotten a secondary.

I have a full time medic job and six month old daughter; she is my hobby. That’s one reason I want this so badly. I want her to be proud of her daddy and I want to be able to care for my family.
You got this brother, the whole SDN DO wave will throw a party as soon as you get in, I can smell your determination over my BBQ so it must be real strong!

• Care

We are all rooting for you!

Excited to hear about anyone getting II today!

I submitted my secondary July 14 and just received a "file is complete" email today.

Reapplicant, and got my pre-II R this morning, so hopefully that means ya'll be getting your IIs soon!

The last line of the R email hints that IIs should be going out real soon: "If you are not accepted into medical school this year, we hope you consider us again next cycle. The 2020-2021 AACOMAS cycle is now open, and we will start our interviews in late August."

Good luck!

Reapplicant, and got my pre-II R this morning, so hopefully that means ya'll be getting your IIs soon!

The last line of the R email hints that IIs should be going out real soon: "If you are not accepted into medical school this year, we hope you consider us again next cycle. The 2020-2021 AACOMAS cycle is now open, and we will start our interviews in late August."

Good luck!

When did you receive the "file is complete" email?

Thanks for the info and good luck!!

When did you receive the "file is complete" email?

Thanks for the info and good luck!!
Does everyone get that email? I didn't but when I check my portal, it says 100% completed and application is under review.

Does everyone get that email? I didn't but when I check my portal, it says 100% completed and application is under review.

I would assume that everyone should receive it. When did you submit your secondary?

I just checked my application status to see what it says.. it is showing the same as yours, 100% completed and application under review.

I would assume that everyone should receive it. When did you submit your secondary?

I just checked my application status to see what it says.. it is showing the same as yours, 100% completed and application under review.
I submitted my secondary 8/2 so only a few days ago. Was there any important info in the completion email about next steps?

I submitted my secondary 8/2 so only a few days ago. Was there any important info in the completion email about next steps?

Not really..

"Your file is complete and will be reviewed by our Admissions Committee soon. If chosen for an interview, we will contact you by phone or email with available dates. Interviews are conducted August 2020 through April 2021.''

I also didn’t get a complete email but when I log in it says that my file is complete and Uber review

I also didn’t get a complete email but when I log in it says that my file is complete and Uber review

I wouldn't be too worried about it at this point. I believe that my app was marked as complete-under review a long time ago and I just received the email. It took nearly 20 days after submitting the secondary.

+1. I submitted my secondary back in early July, so it's been a month and still no email. All this waiting is killing me!

Good luck!

Hey, I think that email is addressing the ending of the previous cycle, not this one. I'm pretty sure it's not a rejection and you're completely fine! My friend called to confirm because she received a similar email too! You can also call admissions to confirm as well.

How long did yall have to wait for a secondary after sending in your app?

+1. I submitted my secondary back in early July, so it's been a month and still no email. All this waiting is killing me!
Join the club in the waiting room . I think they just have a lot of applicants and it takes forever to go through. I applied to same time still waiting for II despite being a traditional applicant with high stats LM 73

I've been marked complete on the portal for a while, but I just recently got an email marking it as complete

Hey, I think that email is addressing the ending of the previous cycle, not this one. I'm pretty sure it's not a rejection and you're completely fine! My friend called to confirm because she received a similar email too! You can also call admissions to confirm as well.

Oh wow, you're right...... that's made my day!

Well it's at least nice to know LMU won't do a silent R, but will just wait until the last possible day to dash your hopes. Haha!